Allied AAR: A Route to Ribera or "A Bridge Too Far" (CMPzC)

• 1 month later...

kohlenklau,

Slow turn rate? Very few battles will ever run the full two hours (no battle so far has gone past the hour out of 6 battles played).

Basicaly you will have a force that can match the enemy and duke it out, otherwise you will try to preserve your force and move off map after 30 minutes. If you have been surrounded and its not possible to force a breakthrough, its perhaps best to surrender.

On another note, my battle is going well (as far as turns are exchanged at a good phase). I have not had a lot of time to start my DAR/AAR for this battle but will start it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally able to continue this AAR after a very intensive RL period.

We are currently playing through the 5 turn (of 11 total) of the PzC operation, and its the Axis assault phase. Below is the battle that is fought between myself and Axis CO (Kuderian). At the meantime Kohlenklau is taking on poesel71 in the northern parts of Ribera (separate AAR by Kohlenklau).

9467970076_39fe98e9e8_b.jpg

As shown earlier in this thread the Rangers of 3rd Ranger Bn has landed on the beaches southwest of Ribera. From there they have dislodged an Italian coastal defense coy from its fortified positions as well as engaging a larger German force moving down the coast, reinforcing the Italian units on the field. The Rangers have enjoyed the support from the two ships just off the coast. The destroyer USS Buck and the light Cruiser HMS Ulster.

After the last engagement, where the much smaller US force was able to dish out some hurt on the German PzGren of the 15th PzGren division and then withdraw, the Germans are now putting the pressure on and start to attack the location held by the Rangers.

The depleted German PzGren Bn is supported by five SPA (Grille - one was destroyed by a lucky 60 mm mortar bomb during the last engagement) and are attacking the location held by G and H coy 3rd Rangers (83 men). Neither side have any off map support with the exception of the potential deployment of their organic weapons (The Germans have a 75 mm IG and 81 mm mortars. One IG was lost during the last battle due to naval fire from USS Buck.)

The Rangers are seriously outnumbered (I coy will turn up as reinforcement with another 57 men after some time (15 minutes + a variable 15 minutes), The HQ unit in the same hex as I coy cant join in the defense. HQ units can only take part if the hex they occupy is assaulted).

The Rangers mission is to hold the enemy back for 30 minutes and then start to move off map (exiting earlier will result in morale penalties for future actions / or the loss of the individual units).

Conducting a fighting withdrawal against a motorized unit with SPA support will be very tricky. The high quality of the Rangers are what I will be counting on to pull this off.

In the longer scope these Rangers are to move northeast to support the airborne of the 1st Bn, 504th PIR as they take the 300 point VL just south of Ribera itself.

The data extracted from PzC to CM except for the number of men and unit type:

Morale A = High CM motivation

Fatigue < 100 = Units are fit

Experience = (Always) Typical

Below the setup (and some 9 minutes have passed.. the Germans are very cautious as the battle begins.)

10363863436_3f98cdb798_b.jpg

The map was created based on the map used in our last battle as the hexes are adjacent. Not showing in this picture, but further to the coast lies "the Winery".. properly edited to reflect the damage it took from USS Buck in the last battle.

Below, some more details on the setup and my overall plan.

10363854575_9e40584799_b.jpg

Red arrows are expected routes of the enemy advance.

Yellow box: 2nd Platoon H coy 3rd Rangers. They are holding the ridge commanding most parts of the battlefield. Once the Germans take this position they will be able to direct fire on my exit routes. I must try and hold it as long as possible. I must also block any advance that tries to move up on the far edge. This could cut of my exit.

Orange box: 1st Platoon H coy 3rd Rangers with the Coy HQ. They are holding the fields/hills in the center and protecting the flank of 2nd platoon.

Light blue box: 1st Platoon G coy 3rd Rangers. This force is heavy on SMGs and are supposed to block any advance to the far edge of the wooded area. This platoon might get cut of as the battle progress. If that happens, their orders are to fight until other units have moved off map and then surrender. I'm hoping to be able to execute a nice ambush with this force. They are also equipped with a bazooka. Any Grille moving to close would be a very nice target. Holding this area will seriously hinder the enemy from moving up on the center or left flank.

Dark blue box: 2nd Platoon G coy 3rd Rangers. Seriously depleted, this small platoon is taking up positions on a small ridge covering the enemy's possible approach on the left flank.

A bit further back you can also see G coy 3rd Rangers Captain with two 60 mm mortars. I plan to use these mortars to harass the German advance as well as hammering any buildup locations I can spot.

The white lines are the planed route of withdrawal for the respective units. On my right the platoons from H coy will setup a new defensive position in the small wooded area in the middle of a field. From here they will hold of the enemy for some additional time if needed before they can exit.

On my left both platoons from G Coy will move fast towards the exit. I'm counting on I coy, moving in as reinforcements to take up positions in the small farming complex and cover G coys retreat once they move on map.

All retreat routes have been carefully selected to utilize defilade to as great extent as possible.

10364298886_c1d70929dd_b.jpg

Left flank, MMG from 2nd Platoon G coy 3rd Rangers covering the approaches from the south.

10364301046_910c1cc592_b.jpg

Coy HQ G 3rd Ranger, two men and two pairs of binoculars watching the central approaches. From here they will be able to direct mortar fire as well as follow the enemy advance.

The battle progress without much activity.. 19 minutes has passed (only 11 minutes remaining until I can move off map without any penalties. Is the Axis CO taking to much time? Is my 60 mm harassing mortar fire holding his units back?)

10364696004_15e35b8016_b.jpg

Grenadiers are starting to move up and are now closing in on the ridge on my right. In the background 2nd platoon H Coy can be seen. The Germans are using a nice bounding overwatch as they move in on the ridge. I spot several HMG setting up as well. I will try to hit them with some 60 mm mortar fire.

10364891793_bd3a67f7ed_b.jpg

The forward element from 1st platoon H 3rd Rangers are watching as the Germans move forward. The spotted unit is the same LMG as seen in the picture above.

10364892513_d64bfa3f4c_b.jpg

As the forward element (short/medium covered arc on all units to hold fire unit the enemy comes closer) opens up on a German unit making its way up the ridge with their Garands all hell breaks lose. Soon after the Germans send 150 mm shells down the Rangers way. The awesome firepower of these weapons will have me dislodged quickly. No casualties yet and I must move to a reverse slope position ASAP. The allied unit in the picture is the forward element of 1st platoon H Coy as seen in the picture above this one.

10364698014_fef9792c49_b.jpg

A mmg from 1st platoon H coy 3rd Rangers hug the ground as the 150 mm shells impact to close for comfort. Luckily one round drops pretty short and Its a good chance it harmed the German assault teams, or at least suppress them for a turn or so.

Overview:

10364691275_6038e577cd_b.jpg

As I'm soon allowed to move off map and the Germans don't seem to try and flank me on my right I start to move back 2nd Platoon H Coy. Blue arrow show their path and the blue bulge show their planed new defensive position. From there they will be able to put out fire from a reverse slope position as any Germans follow 1st Platoon H Coy as they start to fall back.

Red arrows show the German advance.

Orange circles are 60 mm mortar missions.

I feel very confident as 19 minutes has already passed and no casualties sustained.. I will soon be allowed to move off map and am starting to make preparations to pull everyone out. I also believe I can move 1st Platoon G Coy as the enemy doesn't seem to move with any speed through the wooded area (which of course is smart.. last battle I was able to take out a fair number of Grenadiers as they stumbled into my SMG wielding Rangers hiding in the woods.)

Aragorn2002 and kohlenklau,

Happy you like it guys :-)

--

Minute 19-23.

As the Grenadiers starts to draw closer i decide its time to open up with the 30 cal M1919 mmgs from 2nd Platoon H Coy on the ridge. The distance being some 400 meters. I was hoping that the brush and vegetation in the area would leave the mmgs unspotted for at least a few minutes. Unfortunately this was not the case.

10408535054_9f6dd2b1ff_b.jpg

Tracers can be seen coming the Germans way as a 30 cal starts to pour lead down range. It doesnt take long for the Germans to identify the firing positions. Two 150 mm Grille rounds impact near the mmg (one short and one just overhead).

10408537264_13f302432f_b.jpg

Two Grille SPA are spotted moving forward. Some 800 meters from my forward positions they start to open fire. I'm starting to feel a bit worried as the Grenadiers have five of these SPA in support. Seven minutes out before my withdrawal can begin.. so close but under fire it will not be an easy ride.

10408549436_817f323116_b.jpg

The suppression and counter fire from a German mg deal the Rangers their first casualty.

On the other side of the ridge, close to the road, under a heavy smoke screen as well as plenty of suppressing fire from HMGs, PzGrenadiers are making their way up the hill.

10408540965_3092ea2f17_b.jpg

The enemys leading elements are almost at the top of the hill, still out of sight from my revers slope defenders.

10408544185_79ee5e439c_b.jpg

As the Germans move forward into my ambush zone a mmg from 1st Platoon H coy starts to open up. The Germans go to ground and several of their MGs direct fire on the new threat. Another two KIA for the Rangers. Things are turning south, and fast.

With light mortar fire falling in the woods at least a platoon worth of Grenadiers decides to swing to the left, out on the open field and join in the attack towards the ridge. They are out in the open. I have a mmg trained on them but over the last minute I have seen swift retaliation and suppression fire from the enemy HMG and Grille SPA. I don't think I will be able to do much. We need to reposition on the reverse slope.

10408701423_46c8a4fcdd_b.jpg

Grenadiers start to advance over open ground, towards the road that lies just between the ridge and the fields. The area that splits 1st and 2nd Platoon H Coy.

In the woods 1st Platoon G Coy has taken up a better ambush position. A line with some depth is established. I'm afraid there will be no trap today as the Germans moving this way have swung to their left.. out in the open, moving in on 1st and 2nd Platoon H Coy. Im contemplating moving 1st Platoon forward to engage the enemy that has just moved out of the woods. I would have to move in close though as this platoon doesn't sport a mmg. If I move them up this could be rewarded greatly.. as I could attack the Germans from front and rear. At the same time I could stumble into a ambush set by Grenadiers still waiting in the woods.

10408556716_8fab03a5b1_b.jpg

In the distance the German smokescreen on the ridge can be seen as well as the units from H Coy.

After 22 minutes I coy arrives. Good news as I will need them to anchor a defensive line for H and G Coy to withdraw through. Its clear to me that I have made a few mistakes. I should have placed my units on my right in more of a reversed slope defense. The enemy just establishes fire superiority so fast with his many MG and SPA units.

On the up side.. the enemy has taken his time to move forward. Im am soon allowed to move of map so I wont have to bunch up to much as I start to withdraw. The trick will be to time things perfectly. I don't want to sacrifice men to hold the enemy off If not absolutely required. Bounding movement and smoke will be key.

I will also start to shell my own positions with 60 mm mortar fire. Timed right It will slow down the enemy considerably. I'm counting on the experienced Rangers to pull this off without any friendly fire.

Overview after 23 minutes of combat:

10408546264_6dc81d41e4_b.jpg

Red arrows: German advance.

Blue arrows: Allied advance.

Orange circles: 60 mm mortar missions.

Black X:s are locations of allied casualties.

The 24th minute:

The Axis advance continues:

10410178394_98a593b187_b.jpg

Grenadiers are moving in on the Ranger positions with little opposition.

10410186546_d8b32ee941_b.jpg

More Grenadiers are moving up on the ridge, behind their thick smokescreen.

A single MMG tries to slow down the platoon that is moving across the open ground.. it manages to inflict a single casualty.

10410186846_b209b3750c_b.jpg

After some initial fire the MMG crew is suppressed. Small arms fire inflict a casualty and a rifle grenade finishes the job. Another two Rangers are taken out.

This is starting to look like a walk in the park for the men of the 15th Panzergrenadier Division.

10410180124_80d1d0aea2_b.jpg

Some good news though as my mortar mission on the top of the ridge is hitting home even though the ridge is covered in smoke. I observe several hits close to contact icons. I hope this slows them down.

The Grenadiers are close to H Coy. In some places less than 100 meters. Its high time to withdraw. The German smokescreen will work in my favour as its blowing in the direction of my withdrawal.

10410181355_a9af13b941_b.jpg

A lone Ranger hunkering down as two of his team members have been wounded. As soon as suppression lifts he will run for it.

24th minute continues:

If the cowering and dead Rangers are not evidence enough of the relative ease of the German advance, their boldness in moving up soft skins full of more Grenadiers to the thick of the action surely is.

10410186254_91e671a3a7_b.jpg

To this trucks immediate left the thick smoke screen is still covering most of the left side of the ridge. I have light mortar rounds falling in the area. The truck making a juicy target..

Overview after 24 minutes:

Im pulling back as fast as possible now. I will set up new defensive positions on my right, on the reverse slope. After this the Rangers from H Coy will start to withdraw with bounding movement, protecting each other with covering fire. Parts of I coy will take up positions on high ground to observe the enemy movement, call in mortar fire and when in range, put out covering fire with their BARs.

On my left, I finally decide to pull out first platoon G Coy from the woods. I'm close to being allowed to exit the map and I'm feeling I will save more men by moving them towards the exit zone. I might inflict some good casualties if Id have them stay put but at the same time Id probably lose the entire platoon as POW once they get cut off.

Doing this I am taking a risk.. I will leave the Grenadiers free way to move up Grille and HMG to cover the exit route for G Coy. With 1st Platoon in place they would be denied this option and would have to remove 1st Platoon by force first.

I hope my decision will pay off.

10410187465_5d344bbc81_b.jpg

Blue arrows: Allied movement

Red arrows: Axis advance

Orange circles: 60 mm mortar missions (medium/medium)

Black X: Allied casualties (I'm up to 6 so far with the Grenadiers having suffered only 1 confirmed casualty.)

25-27th minute:

The withdrawal continues:

10410303405_c7bd41c5c6_b.jpg

1st Platoon G Coy finally leaves their position in the woods and head towards the exit zone. They will have fairly good cover on their way towards the exit zone, but they also have to cover some ground doing so. The enemy Grille will be able to move up fast once they understand what is going on.

As G Coy will pull back in stages.. 1st Platoon will lead and the smaller 2nd Platoon will follow second. 2nd Platoon covers the approaches from the south and will stay in place a bit longer so the PzGren wont be able to move up men to the ridge they occupy. The latter would be a disaster as this ridge commands almost the entire length of the exit route for G Coy.

G Coys withdrawal will be covered by I Coy how are just taking up positions in a small farming complex close to the exit area. This will mainly be made up by 2 MMG and a sniper. There is also a reserve of some 15 men, they will stay back and only react if something drastic happens.

10410456533_d34a866bd9_b.jpg

A MMG from I Coy is taking up position in a barn. I'm not sure how long it will take for it to deploy properly.

On my right the withdrawal goes as planed:

10410310186_594d03520e_b.jpg

1st Platoon H Coy take up good defensive positions on the reverse slope. From here they will be able to put a lot of fire on the pursuing Grenadiers.

As the Rangers of 1st Platoon H Coy take up their positions three mortar missions are being targeted so that fire is directed on the Germans as they move up and get into range of 1st Platoon. Caught in the crossfire of small arms as well as mortar fire I hope to slow them down considerably.

As soon as the Rangers catch their breath they will again start to withdraw in bounding movement. With a fair distance to cover I will only move men that are tiring in emergencies. Otherwise I want them to be "ready" before I quick them short distances between cover and/or concealment.

Also on the ridge but on the other side of the road 2nd Platoon H Coy starts to pull back into positions behind 1st Platoon. They are exiting just in time as mortar fire soon will start to fall on their old positions. The enemy smoke screen is very much working in our favor as no fire is taken by the withdrawing men.

10410301064_b176688965_b.jpg

The high fitness of the Rangers will be put to the test this day. They will have to move fast if they are to get out before the PzGren can catch them.

Overview after 27 minutes of combat:

After some initial bad news and 6 casualties things are looking up just a bit. I will soon be allowed to exit the battlefield (in three minutes in fact) and I feel the situation on both my left and right is under control.

10410458243_b868999fd7_b.jpg

Red arrow: Axis advance

Blue bulge: Allied defensive positions

Orange circles: Allied 60 mm mortar missions (medium/medium).

With 29 minutes passed the situation looks good. I'm withdrawing both platoons from G Coy on my left. They are being covered by parts of I Coy that have taken up positions in the farming complex.

On my right H Coy are moving back in bounding movement, stopping at positions with cover/concealment as to not get to tired and eventually caught in the open exhausted.

Overview:

10492222525_490bf35580_b.jpg

Blue bulge: Allied defended area

Orange circle: Allied 60 mm mortar mission (medium/medium)

During the 30-31 minutes (as the 30 minute mark has been passed, I'm now allowed to move units off map):

Things were just looking good but during these two minutes things start to look grim. With very fast movements the enemy is bringing up units too the middle, covering the exit routes of G Coy. They must have spotted G Coy as they exited the woods and are now determined to stop them from moving off map.

10492236596_c0bf73481b_b.jpg

One of two Grille SPA that has moved up during the last minute to take up good fields of fire covering G Coys route to safety. Its 150 mm gun will cause a lot of trouble. To make matters worse, there is not much defilade to use for G Coy.

The SPA are supported by what looks like a platoon of Grenadiers. The Grenadiers will have good positions on the forward hill that masked parts of G Coys withdrawal from the woods.

10492237006_eacf920181_b.jpg

As the turn ends 1st Platoon G Coy are partially out in the open. There is parts of a small wall as well as some scattered trees to make up cover and concealment for them. They are in for a pounding next turn.

10492251144_781c3b9a19_b.jpg

1st Platoon will quickly have to hug the ground and try to crawl into better positions. Then they will make a smoke screen to continue their path towards the exit area.

As G Coy will focus on seeking cover, and moving towards the exit the duty of hurting and disrupting the Germans in their trail is up to I Coy. Lucily one of their MMGs are in position and ready to put fire down range on the Grenadiers.

10492252164_42fb7251d2_b.jpg

A .30 cal, set up, locked and loaded. Ready to great the Grenadiers as they pour out of the woods.

The other MMG is yet to finish its set up. Both teams are setting up in barn type buildings and started at the same time. I'm hoping the other MMG will soon be ready as well (not sure if there is a fixed or variable time for setup in a building).

10492228385_7c580f2cc3_b.jpg

The one ready MMG is supported by a sniper that has moved into position behind a short stone wall.

Over on my right, the platoons from H Coy are in a good position and still catching their breath before they are ready to get moving again.

10492242766_c142f966a5_b.jpg

H Coy are sure to get into more action soon. With the reversed slope the Grenadiers will have to move in very close in these exchanges. My motivated and skilled Rangers will not be a easy prey even if outnumbered.

10492435163_5b6b772392_b.jpg

It looks like the Grenadiers are moving up a Grille close to my force on my right. It will move into highly effective bazooka range. Id love to take another of these things out.

Things can change quickly on the field of battle:

Overview after 31 minutes:

10492231715_866dc76218_b.jpg

The 32:nd minute:

The withdrawal continues and on my right the Rangers of H Coy are aided by the three

60 mm mortars providing fire support to harass and slow down the Germans. Hopefully inflict a casualty or two as well.

10509655755_1a01080c4d_b.jpg

The mortars do slow down the Germans, but they are very bold, pressing the attack. I am also running very low on mortar rounds.

1st and 2nd Platoon cover each other as they withdraw with bounding movement.

10509868323_be9d810346_b.jpg

The Rangers of 1st Platoon start to take shots at the Germans, now only some 70-80 meters away. At the same time 2nd Platoon run for the next set of cover.

On my left.. as expected.. the Grille start to lay down fire on G Coy as they head for cover. The roar of the 150 mm guns are deafening..

10509690644_e6af5d52ba_b.jpg

The Grille doesn't hold to many HE rounds.. but there are five of them. Enough round to kill and suppress a lot of men...

The first set of rounds all go long. Our luck wont last for long Im sure.. but we will take what we get.

10509870213_5563c28db9_b.jpg

No casualties inflicted and this, the closes of the three rounds fired, screams just overhead of the Rangers of 1st Platoon. A experience that would break lesser men..

Also take not of the smoke screen built up by the Rangers smoke grenades.

The ground shakes as the 150 mm explodes, showering the Rangers with dirt and debris.

10509659855_6a8e0a847b_b.jpg

To get men moving in any safe manner will be next to impossible with these things going off in the area around them. But these are no regular GIs.. they are Rangers.

Just as the 32nd minute ends..

As the Grenadiers move into sight to my new reverse slope positions they immediately start to take fire. They are moving in a tight formation.. offering juicy targets to the Rangers. Another confirmed casualty is scored by one of 1st Platoons H Coys Thompsons.

10509995604_fefe68b171_b.jpg

A German shot.. and a worrying sight. That Grille is coming out to play..

Overview after 32 minutes of combat:

Things are still under control but its only a matter of time unit the Grille SPA zero in on my withdrawing Rangers. Thing will get ugly, I'm sure.

Im moving some units off map this turn. I don't feel they will be of any use in the reminder of the battle and so better clear off so that my force don't bunch up as it moves to the exit zone.

10509962285_49a9316472_b.jpg

Blue bulge: Allied defensive position

------------------

The 33:rd minute..

With G Coys heavy smoke screen deployed I decide to start rushing my men short distances towards our ultimate goal of the exit zone. Short quick orders followed by hide commands. Standing up is lethal with explosions in close proximity.. with 150 mm rounds close proximity is a long way.

I try to use the most of craters and small areas that offers some defilade.

10509963395_eeac437f9d_b.jpg

A risky move.. and this time the Rangers are punished hard. 1st Platoon HQ.. 3 men are all downed in a single blast. Yet another man is killed outright from one of the squads. What hurts the most is probably the fact, that the seriously wounded HQ members wont get any buddy aid. We can only hope the Germans will treat them, if they live that long..

On my right.. the Rangers of 1st Platoon H Coy keep punishing the PzGren as they keep moving forward.

10510173083_5f4a59088a_b.jpg

A Garand hits home and the Grenadier screams and turns in agony

Yet more Grenadiers move forward and 1st Platoon prepare a rifle Grenade in an attempt to halt their advance.

10509969936_ab535edf11_b.jpg

The Rifle grenade.. a inaccurate weapon in the hands of most men. A deadly fragmentation and suppression tool in the hands of the Rangers of 3rd Battalion.

The 33rd minute continues..

The rifle grenade hits home..

10510388194_3a467cd978_b.jpg

In the background.. the Grille. It fires long.

The effect, as seen from the men firing it down range.

10510356996_02d7e053fc_b.jpg

The Grenadiers are closing in on H Coy fast. And they seem to be trying to hit us from the flank as well. So far the flank attack has been stopped cold.

10510563603_9a5d233b76_b.jpg

Yet another Grenadier falls to the Rangers. This landser will never see home again. War is hell.

10 casualties for the Rangers so far. 4 confirmed casualties for the Germans. Being on the run, the Rangers are in a distinct disadvantage seen from the campaign perspective. The Grenadiers will have time to tend to their wounded (of which 25% are returned to duty). The Rangers will seldom be able to do so them selves as it will put them in to much danger. This will result in a lower return and the Germans will win the battle of attrition. I will do all I can to tend to my wounded whenever the situation permits. It hurts to leave men behind.

Overview after 33 minutes of combat:

As my mortar rounds are out.. I begin to move the teams off map.

The massive smoke and dust screen on my left will hopefully provide some concealment for the Rangers of 1st Platoon G Coy so they can keep moving to safety.

On my right the Grenadiers are closing in fast but so far the Rangers are winning the exchanges and are moving in good order towards the exit.

10510564123_49981c9b53_b.jpg

Blue bulges: Allied defensive positions/Base of fire

Red bulges: Axis base of fire

The 34th minute:

The Grenadiers reign supreme out in the open. The Grille SPA with spotter and HQ support aim and fire down range towards the Rangers of G Coy. The distance now some 400-500 meters.

10511712714_48bfdbb590_b.jpg

Like taken from a scene during the spring of '42. The Germans dominating the open steppe.

The Ragners take severe punishment from the Grille SPA.

10511683146_3da0b97cfb_b.jpg

The Rangers take another casualty from the Grille fire, yet these two are unharmed. A round striking just on the other side of the small wall. Luck on the Rangers side in this occasion.

As well as the Grille heavy artillery fire, a platoon of Grenadiers have taken up positions on a small hill, some 300-350 meters out. They sport several MG34s.

10511714404_384088f8fc_b.jpg

As the Grenadiers prepare to pick their targets they come under heavy MG fire. A MMG from 2nd platoon G Coy (in the open to the Grenadiers front) and one from 2nd platoon I Coy (positioned in a farm building, to the Grenadiers left flank). The Grenadiers are cowering/seeking cover in short order as the .30 cal rounds pour around them.

10511685566_0f152db71e_b.jpg

I have said it so many times.. but again. Love the new MG behavior. Thanks BFC.

On my right, H Coy is withdrawing nicely. But the Germans are moving up their mobile units with great speed. They are seriously threatening the right flank of G Coy.

10511891903_e580d80b6c_b.jpg

This Grille has moved far up on my right flank. It fires a shot towards my withdrawing mortar teams (1000 meters out). It fires long, thank god. The mortar teams are bunched up and moving at a slow pace. They will have to disperse fast.

The 34th minute:

Overview:

10512388054_d80a785aff_b.jpg

------------------

The 35th minute:

As I move units behind the farming complex.. the enemy soon spot this. A Grille round strikes in the wooded area and wounds a member of 2nd Platoon I Coy HQ.

10512568933_ebfe3e9190_b.jpg

As my MGs continue to fire on the Grenadiers on the hill.. they start to take casualties. Some are also seen crawling away to cover.

10512394444_053554a343_b.jpg

The MG in the farming complex.. some 480 meters from the Germans have been firing for two-three turns but still hasn't attracted any attention. This is very good news. I was sure a Grille would fire on them after a turn or so. I hope they can keep going without the Germans discovering them.

As the Germans are starting to move up on my right flank, I bring up a Bazooka team to check the Grille if it tries to move further down hill. Distance as of now.. 150 meters.

10512366656_eeeb238d64_b.jpg

The Grilles icon can be seen further up the hill. A Bazooka round will make short work of it. But I will only risk firing if I'm sure I can score a hit.

Also on my right.. the withdrawal continues and is so far successful. Again its smoke grenades that provide nice concealment for the Rangers.

10512359175_ae9d548ed9_b.jpg

The 35th minute continues..

Fortune favors the brave. Yet more mobile units move up on my right flank. How far will they go? Are they going to try and cut of my escape? I have a MMG ready to deal with any softskins moving closer to my force. And the Bazooka team, waiting for the Grille.

10512583905_802ac1166f_b.jpg

The Axis commander is very confident, and determined to halt the Rangers escape.

Overview after 35 minutes of combat:

Im still positive.. I have halted the Grenadiers advance on my left. Their SPA are pounding me but hugging the ground not many casualties have been inflicted.

On my right the enemy is moving up nicely on my flank.. but I have several units in good position to stop them if they try to move in on me. At the same time Im moving up nicely on the exit zone.

10512584475_cc629eb7ac_b.jpg

Blue bulge: Allied defensive position

Red bulge: Axis base of fire

Red circle: Area bombarded by Axis on map artillery.

----------

No action in this part of the map but wanted to show a picture of "the Winery" that took such a pounding from USS Buck during the last hour of combat.

10512871094_1427029037_b.jpg

Ps. Thanks kohlenklau.. we will make the Axis pay for Ribera.

The 36th minute:

After maneuvering into position the Grenadiers assault the Rangers positions.

10614443143_8e88d9a15b_b.jpg

Corporal Wilmot, staying behind to cover the withdrawal of the reminder of his squad, showing immense courage, is finally killed. The Grenadiers storming forward in great numbers.

1st Platoon H Coy, at their last defensive position before the small wooded area covering their retreat path.

10614207264_f7573c5bca_b.jpg

The Grenadiers pay with blood as the move forward.

Seen from the Grenadiers perspective..

10614176875_4556affae8_b.jpg

A hail of Thompson and Garand fire great the advancing Grenadiers.

1st Platoon H Coy claim more kills as they fire as fast as they are able.

10614210256_11dfeee9f2_b.jpg

Parts of the Grenadiers advance is broken up.

Another two casualties inflicted as the Germans move up.

10614180025_1eedd8a441_b.jpg

The 36th minute continues..

The heavily outnumbered Rangers are not able to break up the Grenadiers advance. They are soon taken under heavy fire.

10614180775_36c6b5fb8b_b.jpg

Bold Grenadiers open up from their Kübelwagens.

Sergeant Sabo is killed in the crossfire.

10614181875_926147ee2e_b.jpg

MP40s and MG34s soon have the Rangers suppressed.

Two casualties sustained on my right as the Grenadiers move forward. Things are still going as planed..

10614734886_6f1c99bd41_b.jpg

More Rangers from H Coy move towards safety.

On my left another casualty is inflicted by the long range fire of the Grille SPA. My total casualties are now up to 14. The enemy has suffered some 8 confirmed casualties.

10614453863_5df8b11416_b.jpg

The lethal radius of the 150 mm is truly impressive. It will be hell trying to move through this area.

Overview after 36 minutes of combat:

10614215644_3e3ed8bd21_b.jpg

Blue bulge: Allied defensive position/observation post

Red bulge: German base of fire

The 37th and 38th minute..

The Rangers continue their withdrawal..

10615747043_dde26c69ae_b.jpg

Another casualty is suffered as a Ranger is cut down by small arms fire.

A MMG positioned to the right of the small wooded area is providing covering fire as the Rangers dash towards safety.

10615510004_8a0dc024ba_b.jpg

On my left.. the Grenadiers start to move forward again. They are still harassed by the MMG in the farm building. The other MMG in the pair didn't set up in the other building for what seemed like an age. I have now re-positioned it outside.

10615750903_7d6a960e72_b.jpg

A German struck down by the .30 cal firing away at 450 meters.

Also on my left but a bit further back, the SPA keep pounding the path of my withdrawal.

10615751193_21db343ce6_b.jpg

Overview after 38 minutes of combat:

10615478115_b6ff0f8b32_b.jpg