Mortar direct fire without the rifles?

Michael, under Target Light orders, 60 and 81mm on map mortars would fire around 3 rounds per minute, as opposed to 7-8 per minute (IIRC) under normal Target orders. Bulletpoint, I haven't noticed mortar team rifles firing under TL in 4.0, but then again I haven't been watching for it either.

This matches my experience. I believe mortar teams are only intended to use their rifles in self defense. Ammo bearers will however accept normal infantry fire orders.

Sounds like a bug if you're seeing something different.

I've experienced this situation with 4.0 CM:Normandy, particularly with American 60mm mortar teams. I had have one crew popping off .30 cal carbine rounds at the direct fire target. I always found it amusing, because the other guys are working on sighting-in and re-loading the mortar -- and he's just trying to contribute:

"Take this, Krauts!"

At longer ranges (100m ~300m), the shooter's rate of fire was completely ineffective. It's important to note that sometimes, especially in the hedgerows, soldiers will shoot off small weapons at suspected targets. Considering I used direct fire on 95% confirmed static targets,it could be that they were just doing this out of their own accord.

I did often notice these guys putting rounds down range when HE ammo was spent, but the direct target order was still on for that turn.That, I suppose, is by design. I always had rifle squads protecting the platoon's mortar, which I often placed in cover and concealment. The Germans concentrated on suppressing the rifles and rarely cared about the mortars -- as they were a less-direct existential threat.