Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMGL QB Need Help

Just checking for completeness' sake: you are sure you've got the whole shebang, aren't you? QB force selection always starts with a "Formation", which, in the case of "rifle infantry" is usually a Battalion, so if you see a Bttn HQ that's not a surprise. You might even have all your Coy HQs as well; don't know what the AI selection trims out to fit in the points straitjacket. But it's certainly strange if you've got all the platoons of an entire company.

I don't play QBs much, so I never tracked answer down to this question, but while we're on the subject: Whose force gets affected by the Force Adjustment option, and is it up or down? I assume it is "my" force as opposed to the AI, but that is not clear.

Thanks.

I don't play QBs much, so I never tracked answer down to this question, but while we're on the subject: Whose force gets affected by the Force Adjustment option, and is it up or down? I assume it is "my" force as opposed to the AI, but that is not clear.

Thanks.

It is the attacker that gets adjusted. BTW, I have always assumed but neer checked that the percentage quoted is added to the basic allowance. I.E., +150% means that you end up with 250% of the basic allowance. Anybody disagree with that?

Michael

I really wish you could adjust both the attacker and defender (we could in CMx1, BTW).

You can...sort of. For one thing, you could opt for a larger sized engagement. That would increase the points for both sides. Then you could adjust the attacker's points up or down in the usual manner.

If instead you want fewer points for both sides, opt for a smaller engagement.

Michael

Given that there are negative percentages, I think it's a safe bet to say that "+150%" gives 2-and-a-half times the original points allowance, since in the other case, "+70%" would be the same as "-30%" which would be a bit nugatory. The plus sign makes it quite clear, really.

You can...sort of. For one thing, you could opt for a larger sized engagement. That would increase the points for both sides. Then you could adjust the attacker's points up or down in the usual manner.

If instead you want fewer points for both sides, opt for a smaller engagement.

Yes, but not really. The problem is that the force adjustment option is much more granular with adjustments as small as +/- 10%, whereas going from a large probe to a huge probe changes the defenders points from 3445 to 5787, a 70% increase.

Michael is right, the force adjustment appears to be applied to the attacker forces. On a tiny battle with a plus 150% attacker force adjustment I get a battalion. If I use minus 60% I get a reinforced platoon.

Here is another oddity I don't understand. I have been choosing US Attacker and then selecting infantry only. For some reason I seem to have a high probability of getting dismounted armored infantry formations.

Dismounted ArmInf are among the options available in the "Infantry Only" section of the QB force selection menu. Depending on the nation, there can be a fair amount of armour available for selection on "Infantry only". It's generally only light armour, but it's still armour.

You might be advised to spend a while footling around with the manual selection so you get a feel for what kind of thing is available. And then never bother with automatic selection again, because it makes some... odd choices.

Dismounted ArmInf are among the options available in the "Infantry Only" section of the QB force selection menu.

I've also had the experience of selecting mounted armored infantry only to find at least one and sometimes two of the platoons of the company have come without HTs. In order to have the entire company mounted I have had to purchase additional HTs individually. Annoying.

Michael

Yes, but not really. The problem is that the force adjustment option is much more granular with adjustments as small as +/- 10%, whereas going from a large probe to a huge probe changes the defenders points from 3445 to 5787, a 70% increase.

Which is why I suggested using force adjustment after changing the engagement size. The best of both worlds, you see.

:)

Michael

I've also had the experience of selecting mounted armored infantry only to find at least one and sometimes two of the platoons of the company have come without HTs. In order to have the entire company mounted I have had to purchase additional HTs individually. Annoying.

Michael

Or you could select the company and, in the box at the bottom, choose "mounted" as opposed to "Dismounted"... Or if you (for some insane reason) want to have every M2/3 the official TO included for the entire Bttn, set "Mounted" for the Battalion...

Which is why I suggested using force adjustment after changing the engagement size. The best of both worlds, you see.

:)

Michael

Perhaps I'm not understanding your meaning. You can't use the force adjustment on the defender and the difference in points between engagement sizes are too large to be effectively used as a substitute.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your meaning. You can't use the force adjustment on the defender and the difference in points between engagement sizes are too large to be effectively used as a substitute.

Ah, okay, I see your problem. Yeah, you have to accept however points come with the engagement size for the defender. But you don't have to use all of them. That's what I do as a single player. If you are playing against a live opponent, you have to use the honor system that the defender won't use more than an agreed number of points. I am aware that not all players are honorable though, which is the main reason I am a single player.

:D

Michael