Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mortar-snipe my own FO

Still I don't get how having your FO sniped by an enemy mortar is somehow rephrased to mortar sniping your own FO's.

FO's shouldn't be used in recon (by death) moves and keeping a very short arc is helpful too.

I'm sure he's saying that his own spotting rounds fell on and killed his FO's.

Bummer.

"Was that off target, over ?"

"Was that off target, over ?"

"We seem to have lost contact"...

You often have to take a calculated risk positioning of FOs to spot for artillery concentrations. Spotting rounds can fall hundreds of meters off target, and especially in bocage country, sometimes you just can't create enough distance between your FO (and other friendlies) and the artillery target area to guarantee safety from the spotting rounds. They call it "danger close" for a reason...

I don't think I've ever lost an FO to my own spotting round, but I have lost men in other units to my own spotting rounds. Worst I remember was a particularly short 105mm spotting round that fell into my 81mm mortar park. Lost both mortars, a halftrack, and lots of casualties amongst the mortar crews. That was not a good way to kick off my attack...