The staggeringly big hunting rifle (just try carrying it!)

Was doing some research and blundered across this. The .950 JDJ. Caliber 0.95 and 38,700 (no typo) foot pounds of muzzle energy. NATO 5.45mm (0.223) is ~1300 foot pounds. Bullet for .950 DJ is 3600 grains or ~ 0.5 lb.

Beast

Shooting it! An early lightweight version with lighter projectile and powder load.

To wretched excess!

Regards,

John Kettler

costard, (Moon, link isn't to buy one, merely article mit good pics)

Judging from the link, the thing's built like a tank. The muzzle brake alone is 13 lbs. Got that from vid text. Krieger Barrels is the real deal gun barrel firm. In business for 30 years. I checked.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/12/04/the-mcbros-95-caliber-rifle/

Believe the text with one of the vids said there were only 15 in existence, but I may have that confused with a SEAL weapon for launching a grappling hook.

Regards,

John Kettler

Um, what's the point? You could never really use it in the field without breaking your shoulder. And anything you shoot would be torn into pulp.

I guess for the same reason that people build pickups with huge tires and suspensions that carry them 20 feet up. Because they can.

:rolleyes:

Michael

I guess for the same reason that people build pickups with huge tires and suspensions that carry them 20 feet up. Because they can.

At the risk of sounding tautological: Mr. M. Emrys is right. Why climb Mt Everest? Because it´s there! Why dive into the Mariana Trench? Because it´s not there!

Gimme some time and I will build a guntrigger on a german 8,8 cm FlaK 18 and call it "The Biggest Handgun Ever Built"...

:)

Gimme some time and I will build a guntrigger on a german 8,8 cm FlaK 18 and call it "The Biggest Handgun Ever Built"...

Heh. Reminds me of a story about a couple of guys who were somehow able to get their hands on a surplus 20 mm Oerlikon with ammo. They mounted on a trailer and went out into the Mojave to shoot jackrabbits with it. Boys will be boys...

:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Michael

Heh. Reminds me of a story about a couple of guys who were somehow able to get their hands on a surplus 20 mm Oerlikon with ammo. They mounted on a trailer and went out into the Mojave to shoot jackrabbits with it. Boys will be boys...

:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Michael

And i bet that is even legal in the US :D. No wait, you would probably need an open carry permit in some states to do this, right?

BTW:

And i bet that is even legal in the US :D. No wait, you would probably need an open carry permit in some states to do this, right?

It's a bit more complicated than that. Legal possession of a fully automatic firearm requires a special (and expensive) license, and the firearm must be deactivated. Possession of one that will still fire and ammunition for it requires passing yet steeper licensing hurtles. Owning a functioning Oerlikon with ammunition requires...well, you don't want to know.

BTW, the end of the story as I was told it was that the men threw a canvas shroud over the gun to disguise it while transporting it. On the way back from the desert, they stopped at a filling station to get gas. Unfortunately for them, the pump jockey was a Navy vet who was fully familiar with the Oerlikon, including its appearance when covered. He called the Highway Patrol who were duly impressed by the level of armament on display and were moved to provide free room and board for the two gents for several years.

True story? Who can say? This was Southern California where strange happenings are a matter of course.

Michael

Oh I get the "because you can" argument. I was just a bit mystified as to why it was being badged as a "hunting rifle" rather than just a rifle. The thing is, if I had the money I can buy something ridiculous like a Bugatti Veyron, with the knowledge that I was never going to be able to use it to its true capabilities. But I could still drive it to the office. And it would still work as a pussy magnet. But that rifle doesn't even have any use at all except for knocking fat guys backwards off their seat.

There's really nothing mystic here. A lot of people in first world countries eat way too much junk and sit for extended periods of time without exercising. This combination all but guarantees that blood will not flow freely in their nether regions.

Evolutionary instincts make us wave our dicks proudly in order to attract attention. When it's small and flaccid, a substitute is required.

It might have a place in a big game hunt. It's only 50% heavier calibre than a .60 Nitro Express, and that doesn't always stop an elephant with the first hit.

At least since there is the .950 JDJ, genetics scientists now have a good reason to work harder on the revival of the dinosaurs. Nothing stops a charging T-Rex better than a basketball sized entrance hole in the chest!

Also you probably can use the .950 JDJ to commit the perfect murder: "What firearm related crime is it that you are talking about, officer? I only did a paint job in my living room and that is why it's all sprayed in red now, you know..."

It might have a place in a big game hunt. It's only 50% heavier calibre than a .60 Nitro Express, and that doesn't always stop an elephant with the first hit.

Wiki says:

"Despite the weight, recoil is significant, and shooters must be sure to choose components (i.e., scopes and bipods) that can handle the abuse. The sheer size and weight of these weapons makes them impractical for hunting use, as they cannot be carried afield. Thus, they are largely "range queens"—rifles that are brought to the range for a fun time, but not usually used for hunting or other "more practical" uses....

...In a 110 lb (50 kg) rifle, this will develop well over 200 ft·lbf (270 J) of free recoil energy if an efficient muzzle brake is not used. This is far beyond the shoulder-firing capacity of nearly all humans, even without considering the difficulty of shouldering such a heavy rifle. Shooting is usually heavy "lead sled" or similar shooting rest, and the rifle is not held to the shoulder because of the severe recoil and possible injury. The rifle scope has significant eye relief to avoid injuring the ocular orbit."

Wiki says:

"Despite the weight, recoil is significant, and shooters must be sure to choose components (i.e., scopes and bipods) that can handle the abuse. The sheer size and weight of these weapons makes them impractical for hunting use, as they cannot be carried afield. Thus, they are largely "range queens"—rifles that are brought to the range for a fun time, but not usually used for hunting or other "more practical" uses....

So shoot from your Land Rover, resting on the roll frame. No need to cart it anywhere afoot. Heffalumps don't seem to run away from vehicles in the wildlife programmes the idiot box shows, though I'm sure they'd learn to quick-like if one of them keeled over dead when the 4x4s showed up.