The thing I miss the most

With the terrain, what you see is what you get. The trees and such are not abstracted, they simply either block a bullet or they don't.

I'm not sure how this works with the "rocky" type of terrain, which doesn't seem to offer much cover really. Or not as much as one might imagine from having seen hundreds of hills covered in big rocks in real life. One thing missing in that department is some kind of big rocks that can be scattered around. The game needs more "clutter" objects in general, really.

There may be more than one kind of terrain in an AS.

I think there can be up to about six!

base ground AND (wall OR road) AND brush AND (trees OR bushes) AND building AND flavour objects

Doing a quick calculation (ignoring flavour objects, and elevation, and water, and bridges, and the particular orientation of road and wall pieces) there are somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 unique tile combinations possible in CM.

There's also water and bridges, but I don't recall exactly how they combine with the others.

With CMx2 its basically "what you see is what you get" terrain-wise. If he looks like he's on rocky ground with brush growing on it he's on rocky ground with brush growing on it.

...some kind of big rocks that can be scattered around.

If you had purchased CM:Afghanistan (shame on you for not ;)) then you would have seen 'big rocks' among the flavor objects. But a nasty coding problem arises that has to be dealt with with big objects. pathing, LOS and LOF all has to be accounted for with 'tactical size' flavor objects. If I recall correctly, Steve had said they'll bring in super-size flavor objects (of sedan size) only when they're able to 'do it right'. About the same answer he gives for fire. :o

Sometimes infantry squads are partly covered by a tree. Is it half covered or has no effect at all in rules? I also miss some kind of explanation in game manual about terrain effects.

WYSIWYG. Everything is 1:1 modelled with trajectories and object intersections. There's no such thing as being "covered by a tree". A tree is exactly what you see: a stick (which stops most things, and is apparently made of sterner stuff than tank glacis plates) with a clump of foliage tha (mostly) blocks line of sight through the drawn volume, and will sometimes stop rounds.

Unfortunately the only way of getting used to the terrain tile types is to futz around in the editor, and perhaps by experimenting with vehicle movements: you can generally spot "forest" tiles, and you can tell which are "heavy" and which "light" by the movement cursor for a vehicle going to its "impassable" indicator over the heavy tiles.