A battle planning app?

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a good app/program to use for planning a battle. I find I enjoy simply creating a plan (if only to watch it break down within two minutes) almost as much as the actual battle. I have seen both Hex Map Pro and Gameplan but both of them are lacking as planning tools for a game like CMBN.

What I have in mind is an app that includes the following:

- ability to import a screencap jpg of a CMBN top-down-view map.

- either existing military icons or ability to import your own (your own customizable ones would be by far the best so that your icons could include things like names of leaders etc.)

- colored line drawing ability

- An ipad version would be AWESOME.

I'm certain there's more features I'd like to see but those are the biggies for now. I'm surprised it's so hard to find something like this - or maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places. Thanks for any help!

Thanks Fuzee!!! Now, if you can post an Ipad version you'll know that I've found it bc you'll hear me yelling "Yeeeesssss!" There's all kinds of Ipad overlay map makers but none, at least that I've seen, that have military symbols or allow you to import your own. They let you draw lines but only have cutesy trip planning-type symbols or the like.

Overlay Maker is the only other one I know of.

http://www.theoverlaymaker.com/

I'm sure I saw something similar for the iPad but I can't remember at the moment.

Jeez .. thats great - I had not heard of this. Been looking for something like it for yonks. Thanks.

There was also a great windows program I found years ago called SMA (Strategic Military Analysis) - you could load a background image and even define a full order of battle. What you could also then do is record the positions of various units at different times then play it back as a kind of overall view. It also had layers of hierarchy so on selecting would only show those units at that level (eg corps).

It had a few issues as it was unfinished but largely it worked. Lost the original files and now cant find it anywhere.

Could someone give me a hint how to start that in OSX? The examples are for Windows or don't work and I know nothing about Java (except that I have it installed).

You may use the Jar Bundler application in mac os x (already present) to create an executable. Choose the file .jar and create.

if you have problems contact me privately here or on fgm.

• 1 month later...