DAR Kampfgruppe Engel (Mission 2) Warning Spoiler alert!

Enemy soldiers were seen in this out-house earlier in the battle. Taking no chances Larcher opens up with a machine gun and the 20mm cannon.

W9DVXEN.jpg

The building is riddled with bullets and shells and collapses.

zKsna5E.jpg

uHt6KcQ.jpg

Then a set back. The Lynx receives two direct hits from a Greyhound behind some bocage way over on the enemy right flank. One crew member is seriously wounded and the Lynx is immobilised.

wvhhqaC.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LEFT FLANK: Northern Approach. The immobilised Pz2 finally spots the Greyhound and opens fire hitting the turret and killing the commander. The Greyhound reverses away and breaks off contact.

jMMetVi.jpg

lpwwsOx.jpg

RIGHT FLANK: Enemy mortar rounds start landing near 2nd Zug HQ and attached units. Time to get out of there!

U3bGaP4.jpg

Scouts from 2 Zug race back to a Kubelwagen to replenish ammo.

CpugLMw.jpg

A view down the Argentan Road looking towards the town and the Western Approach. No sign of enemy troops apart from the destroyed armoured car in the foreground.

TEhVJ5P.jpg

Northern Approach sector: Pioneer scouts advance through gardens towards the town whilst looking out for enemy units.

naHj4ZR.jpg

One sapper volunteers to investigate the nearby house.

qcuZLA2.jpg

QHPHDyf.jpg

Taking no chances he uses a demo charge to demolish the house wall and then rushes in. The house appears deserted.

oDEonqh.jpg

FO's in the church tower spot enemy activity in the centre of the town. They call in an artillery strike.

NlLuMyR.jpg

LEFT FLANK Northern Approach Sector. More troops move up. Enemy resistance is stiffening on all fronts. Heavy enemy fire coming from the house in the centre background. Infantry and the immobilised Lynx return fire.

tKwMeN3.jpg

Bringing up the Stummel in support. I am starting to miss the loss of the two Pz IVs in the previous engagement.

EVFS0jw.jpg

Finally I can attend to the wounded at the crossroads.

OwomUeS.jpg

Looks like the cavalry have finally arrived! Five Shermans spotted on the road SSE of the town.

oMuBw5E.jpg

l8ipyCU.jpg

Centre: A truck arrives laden with ammo and mortar rounds. Two mortar ammo bearers rush to unload one of the crates.

sjA8skC.jpg

RIGHT FLANK: Scouts from 2nd Zug race across open terrain towards cover. I have almost reached the outskirts of the town.

RxnQXAH.jpg

They discover enemy dead, in the copse.

mexxt8C.jpg

More infantry move up but then get caught in a mortar attack. They take cover behind the wall and 2nd Zug sustains its first casualty.

ArNg5fw.jpg

RIGHT FLANK: Stummel begins bombarding the buildings situated in the Western Approach sector.

HxIM5yL.jpg

Infantry move up in preparation for assault on the terraced houses in the foreground. Enemy troops including possibly a heavy machine gun were seen occupying these buildings earlier in the battle but I am hoping they have been neutralised as no sightings have been reported recently.

PBIvpk7.jpg

Panzer1 moves up to offer additional support if required.

GZD5a8G.jpg

CENTRE & LEFT FLANK: For two or three minutes my FO's in the church tower have been observing the enemy armour. They have been stationary on the road heading towards the town. I wondered whether they would move into the town en-masse or split up and attack from the sides. I am hoping that they split up then Ober's Panther may be able to pick them off one by one. FO's now able to report that they are indeed splitting up!

ekFBLv0.jpg

An enemy truck is spotted in the town centre. HMG42 opens up on it achieving several hits to the engine compartment but I can't tell whether it is knocked out or not.

6HrYDjc.jpg

Enemy troops were seen occupying this house in the foreground just south of the Northern Approach. Over 100 rounds were fired into it......

bFX04nD.jpg

CENTRE: 105 mm shells start to land in the area of the town square as the second bombardment of the town gets under way.

LS04XR8.jpg

A direct hit reduces a building to a pile of rubble in the Square.

VNt3qCe.jpgfZmUGWj.jpg

After the dust settles an abandoned enemy truck is visible in the Square. The Stuart tank to the left is doing a good job of pinning some of my troops down in the big house that overlooks the Northern Approach. It is preventing my men advancing into the town in that sector and will have to be dealt with but am not sure with what at the moment as I am very short of AT weapons and have my hands full with those approaching Shermans!

atY4nc5.jpg

LEFT FLANK: The Shermans are on the move. These three have split right and are moving to my left flank. If they continue to advance they will reach the Chagny Road which runs from right to left at the crest of the ridge. My Pak 40 will be waiting for them!

EXUeTj3.jpg

One of the most dangerous things in urban combat is crossing the street as this squad from 1st Zug found out, to their cost.

o9eG6No.jpg

Watching the bombardment.

yawukxd.jpg

The Pak 40 observing the ridge spots the turret of the lead Sherman as it approaches. The commander orders an 76mm AP shell be loaded into the breach. Range just under 1000 yards.

DVuaQNz.jpg

Here are the dispositions after about 30 minutes of fighting

pdhyCLr.jpg

RIGHT FLANK: The assault on the Western Approach continues with the Lynx moving into position and peppering the second row of terraced houses with 20mm canon and machine gun fire. At least two enemy troops were killed and the rest fled out the back. They were cut down by MP44 fire from the team advancing up the Argentan Road.

oLwiiM9.jpg

oj1Rc1A.jpg

7Qircou.jpg

LEFT FLANK: The Shermans continue to advance. All three are now spotted by the Pak 40 anchoring my left flank. I want them to reach the Chagny Road before I open fire but one of them spots a truck resupplying some troops in the Northern Approach sector and opens fire, killing a machine gunner.

PPjHys8.jpg

The commander of the ATG immediately orders his crew to engage. The range is about 900 metres. The second shot is a direct hit and one of the Shermans brews up.

LU9RoFk.jpg

The other two make it to the road where one of them (on the right) is hit on the turret and the gun mount. He retreats and lays smoke.

zjYykFK.jpg

The other one managed to get a shot off. It lands short but the smoke is now obscuring my vision and the ATG loses contact with the Shermans.

wb4rPDi.jpg

Forward troops are now within 60 metres of the town square but the advance has stalled due to the presence of a Stuart parked on the Square itself. Something has to be done about that.....

glTMdMD.jpg

CENTRE:

Leutnant Ober is ordered to divert and take care of the little problem in the Square.

BFKVdpQ.jpg

The Panther moves slowly into the copse, searching out it's prey.

XxTrUDb.jpg

Ober fires three shots. All are direct hits and the Stuart is knocked out.....

K1yulbJ.jpg

RIGHT FLANK:

Occupation of the houses in the Western Approach is underway. Then suddenly some enemy mortar rounds start falling in this sector. Two fall either side of the Stummel.

nHVQc0X.jpg

wWudyYE.jpg

German troops from 2nd Zug start infiltrating houses along the main street.

RPFa0PE.jpg

LEFT FLANK:

The dust and smoke has now cleared in front of the Pak 40 and he has a bead on the second Sherman situated on the Chagny Road. He opens fire and the shot penetrates the upper right hull and the tank is knocked out.

gXD0POq.jpg

Three crew members are seen bailing out.

2G8PVu7.jpg

The third Sherman, (a little further down the road and out of the Pak 40 LOS) is engaged by the immobilised Lynx. However, the 20mm cannon shells just bounce off the turret.

6lnDnKH.jpg

The Sherman returns fire.

ArEikyP.jpg

The Lynx is hit and destroyed, killing the two remaining crew members.

91QWLPX.jpg

All the action in this turn is on the left flank. The third Sherman heads off down the Chagny Road towards the town.

otwONeF.jpg

He opens fire on German troops in the town. The shell hits a tree but the splinters badly wound a member of the HMG team, hidden behind a wall.

0sN7HmS.jpg

Lengfeld, the commander of the Pak 40 spots him and orders his gun to open fire. The first shell hits the turret.

ZVX8yRx.jpg

The Sherman continues down the road for maybe another twenty yards then thinks better of it and reverses.That's when the second shell hits, this time penetrating the turret and knocking out the tank.

Cj7p6gt.jpg

Only one crew member made it out alive.

kgLZFEZ.jpg

Man, this must be the most successful AT-gun I've ever seen in CMBN/CW!

Three kills and still ok..., unbelievable.

And I really admire your cool attitude when these Shermans showed up, because it's only the Panther and the ATgun that are useable against them. When I saw them in my play I thought I was a goner for sure and most certainly did not stay cool (cursed a lot).

Man, this must be the most successful AT-gun I've ever seen in CMBN/CW!

Three kills and still ok..., unbelievable.

And I really admire your cool attitude when these Shermans showed up, because it's only the Panther and the ATgun that are useable against them. When I saw them in my play I thought I was a goner for sure and most certainly did not stay cool (cursed a lot).

The ATG did great but then they are a crack crew! It was only the second Sherman that returned fire. I don't think the other two even spotted it. It only has 8 AP shells left however.

Re: the six Shermans. I would have been more concerned if I was playing a human opponent! Glad they split up though but still no sign of the other three.