I'm Alive, But My (Perishable) CMBN Skills?

It is the wise person who Leaves words unsaid

So the speaker, by that definition, is unwise.

It is the wise person who Leaves words unsaid, jobs undone, and rocks unturned

Sounds more like a mute lazy weakling if you ask me :- )

Quotes about life and people are always flawed, because one can never adequately sum up things as complex as human consciousness, human experience, and human beings, in a single sentence, and also, it's fortunate that the ancient Greeks didn't follow that quote :- )

Agreed. But Smiley's People is even better, I thought. The two together are really one of the best lessons on how to make a mini-series (or movie for that matter) from a novel.

Michael

I have to disagree about SP, but TTSS was my first experience of Le Carre, so it has a distinct advantage over the rest, and as for the direction of the BBC version of TTSS, it's a testament to both Le Carre, and the director, to make what is essentially a group of men talking in in dinghy rooms, utterly riveting.

Le Carre was more than just a novelist, he was a philosopher, psychologist, and comedian, he also gave me a political compass, or at least Smiley did, and that was to avoid any political ideology that lacks compassion.

Compassion? From someone who plays a game about killing people.

Let's have a new box on the UI so that just as you are about to blow up Fritz a message pops up saying "Fritz's mother worries about him, particularly since her only other son died at Stalingrad."

"Fritz' wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last week. The bullet that killed him went straight through the unread letter from his wife wich he received just moments before the battle started and that he carried in the pocket right above his heart."

"Fritz was only 17 years old and still a virgin."

"Fritz' pregnant girlfriend commited suicide when she received the message that he died. She was unable to take the pain."

"Fritz' favorite meal was Schnitzel with mashed potatoes and he loved to play with his Gold Retriever puppy before he was sent to the front."

Let's have a new box on the UI so that just as you are about to blow up Fritz a message pops up saying "Fritz's mother worries about him, particularly since her only other son died at Stalingrad."

I would love to see that come true, brilliant idea.

You may see CM as "a game about killing people", i do not, to me, a CM battle is many things, a puzzle, a movie, a historical re enactment, a battle of wits with another human, and a test of ones ability to learn from ones mistakes, i used to play chess and poker, no one dies in those games, CM offers the same challenges, but with extras.

Does it annoy you that everyone that plays CM is not a sociopath?

Does it annoy you that everyone that plays CM is not a sociopath?

Please let me quote myself:

You can use them* for mine clearence. If you have a 3-4 squads of broken infantry, that is enough to trigger all the mines in a mined action spot if you let them run through. But make sure they dont bunch up too much, otherwise they will 'smell' whats their fate and panic before they finished their job. Afaik seeing friendlies die decreases a units moral in CM. When the minefield is cleared you can let more useful units pick up the ammo from the bodys, so nothing of value is lost.

*broken infantry units.