fog shaders and lods

I have Nvidia and it's the same with me.

On top of this if I have shadows turned off and when fog (+rain) is in play I get greyish ground textures which do not look good. If I turn shadows on that greyish colour layer disappears.

I'm running different visual mods but the same problem happens with vanilla. When shadows are on I don't get the grey layer on the fields. When shadows are turned off grey layer is visible. That happens only on maps with fog/rain.

Visual comparison below:

shadowson.png

shadowsoff.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

P.S. Also note the FPS difference between the two - shadows are a FPS killer. They could have been optimised more.

P.S. Also note the FPS difference between the two - shadows are a FPS killer. They could have been optimised more.

Not so - the shadows in CM are heavily optimized, and for our uses they really can't be optimized more. "Real" shadows - those based on active lighting and the models that are lit - are always an FPS killer, especially when there's dynamic environmental lighting (world lighting and light direction changes, which precludes some high-level optimization), open outdoor areas, and a free-floating camera. Each of these rule out a number of major optimizations. We've done all that's possible in this case.

We'll work on the visual inconsistencies of the normal mapping shader. Thanks for reporting the bugs, guys.

It could help, but shadows would still be a big hit. Honestly shadows are expensive either way - the most common (and notably the cheapest for outdoor applications) method calls for rendering all shadow-casting objects more than once, although obviously an optimized version is more complex than that. No easy way around that, although more horsepower will help to speed up each render pass.

What options are you currently using? Turning things down a bit can get you some pretty significant gains, as it reduces the strain on other areas, and in my opinion the middle-of-the-road texture and model quality levels don't involve much of a hit to visuals.

Any chance we can have either a more gradual LOD drop at distance or extend the range alot further than current before the LOD changes? Thats my one and only complaint about the graphics since the latest patch has made everything look so much better. Obviously things hit decals etc are needed but I'm talking visual quality.

What options are you currently using? Turning things down a bit can get you some pretty significant gains, as it reduces the strain on other areas, and in my opinion the middle-of-the-road texture and model quality levels don't involve much of a hit to visuals.

Nvidia Control Panel options (settings for CMBN):

Anisotropic filtering: 16x

Antialiasing gamma correction: On

Antialiasing mode: override any application setting

Antialiasing setting: 4x

Antialiasing transparency: multisample

Cuda GPU's: all

Maximum prerendered frames: 4

Single display performance mode

Texture filtering - anisotropic sample optimization: on

Texture filtering - negative LOD bias: clamp

Texture filtering quality: performance

Texture filtering- Trilinear optimization: on

Threaded optimization: on

Triple buffering: on

Texture filtering - anisotropic filter optimization: off

Vertical Synch: use application setting

CMBN ingame settings:

Display size: desktop (1280x1024, native monitor resolution)

Vertical Synch: off

3D model quality: improved

3D texture quality: best

Antialias/Multisample: on

High Priority Process: on

Haven't been experimenting a lot - maybe there's something that stands out to you Phil as not necessary or overdone?

I'll experiment with lower texture quality's and see what's the visual difference.

One more thing (probably bug)I noticed. When I close in to for example tanks with my camera view any shadows that are casted on them disappear withing a few metres from them.

My hardware:

Power Supply: 550W XFX P1-550S-XXB9

Mobo: Asus AM3+ M5A97 (970 ATX) [90-MIBFSO-G0AAY007]

CPU: AMD FX-6300 BOX 3,5 GHz - 14MB Cache - 95W

RAM: DDR3 1600 8GB CL8 Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2X1600C8B

Hard Disc (SSD): Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (MZ-7PD128BW)

GPU: Geforce 550 Ti 1Gb (MSI)

Monitor: LG LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution

Thank you!