One of those dumb ?s

Newbie or not, I have been playing from the beginning (except for the Roadblock training scenario) BY PBEM.

Today I wanted to try a simple battle against the A.I. I set up:

Battle

One player

Turn Based

Veteran

The game opened, I "setup/moved" MY units (Allied) hit the big red button, and clock just ran from one minute to the next. Alternating between replay and asking for Commands...which I stopped giving when they got to where I wanted them. My units moved but not a shot or movement from any Axis unit. I stopped the game after about 8 turns with nary a sight to an enemy unit nor any fire...and I had to be seen by the enemy. They were not more than 100 yards for me (I know that they were that close because I opened the scenario from the other side).

So why didn't the A.I. player move?

Just now tacked this on to this post:

Figured I would search to see if a similar post...typed:

How to play against the A.I.

How to play one-player

Play A.I.

How to set up a one-player game

None of those yielded any results?

I can't be the only person to ever have asked such a question...or could I?

The scenario I was trying to play was one of the "downloaded battles" from the BF Repository. I suspect that it was designed without the A.I. added by the author...could that be correct? I tried running a half-track right in front of and in the midst of where the Axis forces should be and never saw a thing or was shot at...so that must be it. It occurred to me when I tried another scenario that I remembered WAS a stock battle that came with game...and it worked fine with both sides taking turns.

So I have to ask now, HOW you know a scenario on the list CAN be played against the A.I. BEFORE you try to play it? And go to all the trouble of setting up your side only to fine out it won't play solitaire?

There is no way to know for certain unless the designer indicates something somewhere. All the scenarios that came with CW or CMFI 'should' be playable from either side. At least I don't think you will have one where an AI attacker just sits in place doing nothing. I don't think that all scenarios that came with CMBN are playable from either side and very few CMSF series scenarios are playable from either side. There is usually something indicating how to play it though. I'm not too sure about CMA. Scenarios that you download from the depository are going to be a bit of a lottery I think for whether you can play it from either side. I'm going to guess that most are not because it can be a bit tricky to make something playable from either side.

I think a good indicator of whether a scenario is playable vs the AI for a certain side is whether a briefing exists for the side that you want to play as. If there is no briefing for your side then there is very good chance that there is no AI plan for the opposing side.

I came to a similar conclusion not long after I posted the question. It would seem that only the battles shipped with the game have A.I.s for solitaire play.The manual indicated that there is aways an underlying A.I. for CM itself but that inherent A.I. and a solitaire A.I. are two different things. It didn't occur to me until not long after I posted, I read that in the manual. Thanks ASL VET.

There is no way to know for certain unless the designer indicates something somewhere. All the scenarios that came with CW or CMFI 'should' be playable from either side. At least I don't think you will have one where an AI attacker just sits in place doing nothing. I don't think that all scenarios that came with CMBN are playable from either side and very few CMSF series scenarios are playable from either side. There is usually something indicating how to play it though. I'm not too sure about CMA. Scenarios that you download from the depository are going to be a bit of a lottery I think for whether you can play it from either side. I'm going to guess that most are not because it can be a bit tricky to make something playable from either side.

I think a good indicator of whether a scenario is playable vs the AI for a certain side is whether a briefing exists for the side that you want to play as. If there is no briefing for your side then there is very good chance that there is no AI plan for the opposing side.

I came to a similar conclusion not long after I posted the question. It would seem that only the battles shipped with the game have A.I.s for solitaire play.The manual indicated that there is aways an underlying A.I. for CM itself but that inherent A.I. and a solitaire A.I. are two different things. It didn't occur to me until not long after I posted, I read that in the manual. Thanks ASL VET.

There is always a TAC AI, just not necessarily AI plans. The difference is the TAC AI will decide how the unit fights even without moving. AI plans are exactly what you are looking for - does the computer have any intent at all of doing anything other than sitting still. Open the scenario in the editor and check for the AI plans - see if any are filled out and for which side, that will answer your question absolutely.

As ASL veteran had noted, there are scenarios designed usually with only plans for one side, some with no plans at all, some that are just maps etc. I know folks clamor for scenarios just like what ship with the game, but I doubt very much most folks design to that standard. I have been monkeying around with scenario design and one thing that does strike me is how hard it is to design decent AI plans for both sides. You can come up with a great idea and AI plans for one side (usually the defender), but trying to design AI plans for the attacker, especially in difficult terrain is really really hard. The AI will not do things a human player would - use smoke for example to cover a withdrawal or advance in open terrain.

Just to satisfy your own curiosity, take a scenario you feel you have played to death, open it in the editor and check out the AI plans. It is an educational experience and one that will help you understand the limitations you face playing the AI. I highly recommend that to anyone who plays the game especially if you are posting to scenario designers about what you do or don't like. It helps to know what is possible before you ask for it. You could also if you feel interested add additional AI plans by copying and pasting an existing one then slightly altering it. Next thing you know you have increased the playability of something you thought had no more challenge. ;)

I am still so new that I haven't opened the editor yet. I used to do scenarios for SSI's Steel Panthers yearssss...ago, and did some for HPS in the 1776 and a couple Squad Battle games...the A.I.s were always not very satisfactory. It also takes a lot of time and frankly at this point in time there are "Too many games, and so little time" so I would rather play and enjoy the "art" of these brainy guys who do like to tinker and make up scenarios.

I really appreciate your response, and one day soon I WILL open a scenario with the editor to see what it looks like "inside."

Also I have to ask if you are a "Steve" Burke...maybe a common name...I was in the Navy with a Steve Burke but he was from Amherst, Mass. We were both Aviation Storekeepers in Anti-Submarine Squadrons out of Rhode Island and deployed aboard the Uss Essex, Wasp and Intrepid....two are razor blades now and the other is a museum in NYC Harbor...a longshot but I thought maybe you were one of my old Shipmates.

There is always a TAC AI, just not necessarily AI plans. The difference is the TAC AI will decide how the unit fights even without moving. AI plans are exactly what you are looking for - does the computer have any intent at all of doing anything other than sitting still. Open the scenario in the editor and check for the AI plans - see if any are filled out and for which side, that will answer your question absolutely.

As ASL veteran had noted, there are scenarios designed usually with only plans for one side, some with no plans at all, some that are just maps etc. I know folks clamor for scenarios just like what ship with the game, but I doubt very much most folks design to that standard. I have been monkeying around with scenario design and one thing that does strike me is how hard it is to design decent AI plans for both sides. You can come up with a great idea and AI plans for one side (usually the defender), but trying to design AI plans for the attacker, especially in difficult terrain is really really hard. The AI will not do things a human player would - use smoke for example to cover a withdrawal or advance in open terrain.

Just to satisfy your own curiosity, take a scenario you feel you have played to death, open it in the editor and check out the AI plans. It is an educational experience and one that will help you understand the limitations you face playing the AI. I highly recommend that to anyone who plays the game especially if you are posting to scenario designers about what you do or don't like. It helps to know what is possible before you ask for it. You could also if you feel interested add additional AI plans by copying and pasting an existing one then slightly altering it. Next thing you know you have increased the playability of something you thought had no more challenge. ;)

I scanned the posts, was the name of the scenario ever mentioned? Oftentimes if you mention the scenario name "Flying nazi monkeys" there will be a slew of "Oh, THAT scenario!" posts followed by a list of all the troubles associated. If its a QB 'assault' and you're the attacking side there's not going to be a lot of movement from the defenders, who are awaiting your attack. If you play as defender or select a meeting engagement battle the opponent side will maneuver.

The one I tried was called: Night of the Cannons...

I scanned the posts, was the name of the scenario ever mentioned? Oftentimes if you mention the scenario name "Flying nazi monkeys" there will be a slew of "Oh, THAT scenario!" posts followed by a list of all the troubles associated. If its a QB 'assault' and you're the attacking side there's not going to be a lot of movement from the defenders, who are awaiting your attack. If you play as defender or select a meeting engagement battle the opponent side will maneuver.

I am still so new that I haven't opened the editor yet. I used to do scenarios for SSI's Steel Panthers yearssss...ago, and did some for HPS in the 1776 and a couple Squad Battle games...the A.I.s were always not very satisfactory. It also takes a lot of time and frankly at this point in time there are "Too many games, and so little time" so I would rather play and enjoy the "art" of these brainy guys who do like to tinker and make up scenarios.

I really appreciate your response, and one day soon I WILL open a scenario with the editor to see what it looks like "inside."

Also I have to ask if you are a "Steve" Burke...maybe a common name...I was in the Navy with a Steve Burke but he was from Amherst, Mass. We were both Aviation Storekeepers in Anti-Submarine Squadrons out of Rhode Island and deployed aboard the Uss Essex, Wasp and Intrepid....two are razor blades now and the other is a museum in NYC Harbor...a longshot but I thought maybe you were one of my old Shipmates.

Sorry, name is right, but that isn't me. Good luck finding him, never know maybe he'll turn up here and confuse the crap out of everyone as to which is which. ;)

So I have to ask now, HOW you know a scenario on the list CAN be played against the A.I. BEFORE you try to play it? And go to all the trouble of setting up your side only to fine out it won't play solitaire?

Perhaps in the mission briefing? "This scenario is best played H2H or as Axis against the AI", or somesuch.

He got out before me and was going into a landscape architecture program as I already had before I got drafted. When I saw a CA address I thought, It might be possible. He may have gotten his degree and headed to the sun and money...nice of you to reply. I ought to just do a search on one of the Veteran sites...thanks for this and the tips.

Sorry, name is right, but that isn't me. Good luck finding him, never know maybe he'll turn up here and confuse the crap out of everyone as to which is which. ;)