Importance of C2?

Just finished reading the appropriate sections of the manual and I'm a bit confused as to how C2 is supposed to work in-game. I understand its importance in RL, but in an environment where you have the ability to select other troops to see what they see, I can't seem to appreciate it in-game.

First of all, let me say that I understand the value of C2 when it relates to asking for arty or mortar support. I also understand the "morale boost" HQ units give to nearby units, especially when Assaulting or under fire. What I fail to grasp is the value of C2 for normal squads of infantry. So what if the 1st Squad can't see/hear the HQ unit? So what if the 1st Squad doesn't know where 2nd Squad is or what its up to?

Or let's say 1st Platoon HQ is in control of all of its squads (is it 3 or 4 squads per platoon?), but is not in communication with 2nd Platoon HQ? So what?

There are two effects I can think of.

Firstly, units in CC can share information about enemy units. So if 1st platoon HQ has spotted an enemy unit, and 2nd platoon HQ is in CC, then 2nd platoon HQ (and hopefully it's squads if they are also in CC) get contact icons for that enemy unit. If they then move in to LoS of that unit, they will spot it more quickly.

In the case of infantry units, this is probably not going to be decisive. Conversely, in the case of tanks, it can be the difference between getting the first shot off or not, which in a short range bocage tank duel can be the difference between winning and losing. Basically, as you get more towards the one shot wins type scenario (tank vs tank, tank vs ATG, infantry vs infantry gun) being the first one to spot the enemy can be a big difference maker, and good CC can help your crucial units get the first shot off.

The second difference is mostly for real time players - friendly FoW. On higher difficulty levels you get friendly FoW - if you have a unit selected, you will only be able to see friendly units in CC with that unit. For turn based (or frequently paused RT) that is not much difference at all - it just makes it slightly more inconvenient to co-ordinate your troops. For e.g. iron mode real time where you can't pause (IIRC) it is a big difference - if you have one unit selected to give orders, then you can't see most of what else is going on or where many of your other units are. Maintaining good CC in such cases will enable you to give better orders due to better situational awareness when you have a unit selected.

As for tanks, each tank has its own radio, right? So they are always in C2? Any reason they will **NOT** be in C2?

Radios, even tank radios sometimes go on the blink. They were tempermental devices back in the days of thermionic valves, and vacuum tubes don't make good bedfellows with either rutted terrain or high KE impacts. If it's not battle damage, the radio operator will repair it in a minute or two, generally.

Just finished reading the appropriate sections of the manual and I'm a bit confused as to how C2 is supposed to work in-game. I understand its importance in RL, but in an environment where you have the ability to select other troops to see what they see, I can't seem to appreciate it in-game.

First of all, let me say that I understand the value of C2 when it relates to asking for arty or mortar support. I also understand the "morale boost" HQ units give to nearby units, especially when Assaulting or under fire. What I fail to grasp is the value of C2 for normal squads of infantry. So what if the 1st Squad can't see/hear the HQ unit? So what if the 1st Squad doesn't know where 2nd Squad is or what its up to?

Or let's say 1st Platoon HQ is in control of all of its squads (is it 3 or 4 squads per platoon?), but is not in communication with 2nd Platoon HQ? So what?

Troops in C2 fight better. As in someone did a test a while back, pitting two identical platoons against each other and the platoon not in C2 lost hands down.

Plus an unbuttoned tank can share information with nearby radio-less units such as many infantry units. And once you get to early war games, many tanks (particularly Soviet) lack radios.

I have tested this an they will share info with nearby units equally well buttoned or unbuttoned. This might be something for BFC to look at.