everything else is a distraction

Bought the game "half-life: opposing force" was interesting, had some fun playing it, but would still save my game, exit, and check my email, for PBEM's, and to see if by chance BTS has released CM smile.gif

And i realized when i finished that game that, everything I do for fun on my puter, be it new games or whatever, is just a distraction to keep me occupied till CM is released smile.gif

yup myself 2 days (though they were sat and sunday, so probably 3 or 4 weekdays).

But i'm still playing the hell outta the demo, playing around with zooks right now finding the best ambushes etc etc. smile.gif

Also testing the rocoche theory (being that a ricoche can destroy another vehicle) have done it on last defense, with a tiger on the road, with the halftracks all centered around teh front of it, stugs to the side asses facing the m18's, done it over 50 tries and no kills so far from ricoches

Guest R Cunningham

Hmmm. Single player action games get old once you've finished. But I play TFC all the time. For whatever reason it doesn't get old. I also download single player maps for Half-life that are good for an hour or two of new fun.

On the other hand, the CM demo doesn't do anything for me anymore. Like Half-life, once you've played a scenario through, there's not a lot of replay value. I think the most excitement in CM is the first time playing the new scenario not knowing what you're up against. After that I find myself counting cards..."one StuG left.."

I disagree with CM not having replay value. For me, at least, I have yet to get sick of any of the scenarios, and always get engrosed once I start. Maybe that's just me though.Still, I look at combathq pics and information and can't help but drool over getting my hands on the full version.

For FPS, I've got to say that Unreal Tournament beats any online FPS hands down. My reason for this: The announcer tells you in a booming voice that you're on a killing spree, rampage, or dominating depending on the number of kills you rack up before getting yourself killed. There may be something better than dominating, but I've yet to get it because some chucklehead always figures out my sniping position by then and sneaks up behind(or above) me. Also tells you "Head Shot" when you get someone in 1 shot to the noggin. Call me nuts, but I like the feedback. smile.gif

Guest R Cunningham

Never played Unreal or Unreal Tournament. Does this announcer business apply to the team play maps? That what I like about TFC. The communication and cooperation amongst the players to achieve a goal and not just a quest for frags.

I might get shot for this, but what the hell, this is a 'free' forum right? smile.gif

As far as single player shooters go nothing still beats doom2! I can still remember the first time I bought the game (way back when I was 14 was it?). It had me stuck to the computer screen playing for week after week (usually in the middle of the night smile.gif)!

Even now, if I don't like the way my life is going, I just crank out the ole game and kill me some imps.... smile.gif

CM replay isn't too bad. Of course playing against the AI on the same map does tend to limit replay value anyway. Considering that now I have learnt to beat all the demo senarios without losing a single tank/inf squad, I am waitng for the game and esp. the senario editor to come out!!!

In my anticipation for the final release of CM, i've been playing CC4 a lot. It's not real easy to multi-player opponents yet, and the AI is not a challenge on the hardest levels, but still fun anyways (much better than the demo they put out for it...) ...and it looks like people are already making mods for it, so i'm sure it'll just get better.

But I've also gotten hooked on Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear. Been checking my clock only to see that it is 3:00 am and I gotta meeting at 9:00 am too many times lately... But this has been the most fun multi-player shooter for me. I don't know how accurate it is, but it is definately the "smartest" of the shooters. One or two hits and your down... so it keeps people from doing stupid things for the most part... and no rocket launchers!

But I still can't wait for CM to release... Anyone see that History channel on "D-day The Complete Story" last night? Watching the footage, I couldn't help but get excited to recreate them in Combat Mission!

Yesterday I happened to stumble upon a free PC conversion of a _really_ old fantasy-strategy game 'Lords of Midnight'. I remember playing that game for a couple of hundreds of hours when I was nine years old some fifteen years ago.

The graphics were truly amazing for the day as the landscape was pseudo-3D and seen from a first-person viewpoint. The AI gives surprisingly good resistance (for a game that fits well inside 64K) and it trashed me _many_ times before I learnt how to beat it. For added difficulty, the c64 version did not have a save game feature...

The plot and the athmosphere of the game is superb and has standed the test of the time surprisingly well. The game can be found at http://www.icemark.com/tower/

-Tommi

Veer said: "As far as single player shooters go nothing still beats doom2!"

My college buddies and I used to hook 2 TVs and 2 Playstations (I think it was a PSX, been a few years) together and play 2-player DOOM for HOURS. You should have heard some of the trash that got talked. MAN, those were the days.

Eridani said "Hey, BG was a good game, dont' dis it ;)"

BG is REALLY good if you play m/p, either internet or LAN. My best friend (the all-time kill-leader for the aforementioned DOOM marathons) just started working for EBX, so he's started getting games to "review for customer information purposes." He gets to play them through (or until he gets sick of them) and then writes a review that goes into a binder that people can flip through. He brought BG home a week or so ago, and every email he sends me has in it, somewhere, "Must play BG must play BG." It's a great way for us to communicate over the 200 miles between us without paying long distance bills. This weekend he's not working Friday night or Saturday morning, so maybe we'll get to level up our characters.

HOWever, I stop BG every so often to check for CM turns (BG HATES being alt-tabbed, so I have to completely quit. But CM is definitely worth it!)

Now if I could just convince my friend to read the manual; trying to explain D&D on a 2-line-at-a-time chat window sucks.

DjB

I still remember when my first character bought it... He was a dwarf fighter chaotic neutral, turned to stone by an angry DM. You see this DM gave out magic too easily so I collected all the magic wands in the party and used them on everything we found (to make a point) ruining his plans...he didn't think it was half as funny as the players did wink.gif

Guest Tom punkrawk

I remember the day I played Doom(1),I was like 12 or 13, damn, I bought the game and played it for hours,then got 2,played it for hours,(loved that double barrled shotgun),then Ultimate Doom came along,that one kinda sucked,I sold it to someone.those we're the days, the 486,windows 3.1 days smile.gif damn that reminds me,back then I knew all the DOS commands,but today you get me on DOS and I don't have the slightest clue.

Lately I've been playing Muzzle Velocity(If you haven't played this I recommend you d/l the demo,just to kill time),West Front,and ww2gi(mostly testing stuff we're making).I was playing Soldiers At War for a while,but got bored w/ it,I just started making maps and stuff, but never playing them.

I've played the CM scenarios(cept for the new one)all once,only because my computer is slow as hell so it takes me like 10 mins to get my orders out, there's like a 4 sec. space from when I click the mouse to when it reacts.I need a video card bad =).

------------------

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show