Predictions for 2013

I would prefer quality over quantity. Instead of pushing out content after content which eats up resources, too, i would prefer to see the engine being improved faster. What is that much content good for, if we don't have ATGs with adequate cover or quick redraw possibilities? If bunkers on steep slopes are eaten by the terrain after setup? If on map guns are shooting into the crest of hills instead of indirect fire? If trenches do not offer adequate protection against mortar fire? If cover arcs hurt the eyes?

IMO currently the content is developed too fast while the game development is lacking progress.

Since the update scheme makes it necessary that every update is replicated over other versions, i think the updates of the engine should be more significant.

Putting out too much content IMO also leads to a more shallow community becoming more and more focused on what is new and what will come next, instead of exploring what is there and what is available.

I can imagine this also has a negative effect on scenario designers: it makes a difference in motivation if hundreds of players are downloading a scenario, playing it and discussing it, or if twenty or thirty players give it a quick look but then already the next content is released and the focus shifts away.

Big companies release one family title every year and this usually is by far enough to keep the player busy. Here with one engine release we have two, and soon three new games (CMFI, CMBN, CMEF). This makes on average a new game every quarter.

With the modules this average timespan for new content is reduced even more.

IMO it would be better to lenghten the release durations but to invest more time into the next game version, a more rapid engine improvement but less new content releases.

I may be off the mark on this but I'm thinking that that engine development can only be accomplished by one or two programmers on staff at BF.

Content on the other hand is being created by several people and can even be outsourced to 3rd parties. Currently I think BF has more resources for creating content so it can be created faster than engine updates and fixes.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be off the mark on this but I'm thinking that that engine development can only be accomplished by one or two programmers on staff at BF.

Content on the other hand is being created by several people and can even be outsourced to 3rd parties. Currently I think BF has more resources for creating content so it can be created faster than engine updates and fixes.

Honestly I don't know for sure, but I think you are on target here RB. One of the issues with most statements about what BF should or shouldn't be doing made on this forum is that they are done with a complete ignorance of whether they reflect the reality of the company. Nothing wrong with wishing something, but it helps in the long run for your own sanity to wish within the constraints of the possible.

BFC estimates of time—when you can even get one from them—tend of necessity to be pretty elastic. I'm sure they have somewhere in the office a calendar marked with all the dates when they would like different projects to be completed. But rest assured the unexpected always happens, projects get delayed, priorities get shifted around, and so on. That's why the usual answer has always been, "When it's ready!" Although it seems to me that their production lines are running more smoothly these days allowing them to come closer to actually predicting somewhat semi-firm commitments to rather vague stretches of time when something might (or might not) pop out at the end. As JasonC often says, "Take that for what it's worth."

;)

Michael

All good and valid point, but its BFC making he announcements and they make the games and I would think that they know best. Bearing in mind that they could hit delays at any time, it's still official statements that I have to go on.

Fair enough that we won't see 3 games before June this year but I've seen nothing official on these boards to refute the statement I quoted. So all I have to go on is that.

If its changed then its up to someone at BF to give us some kind of update. I'm interested in the EF game and the MG module, would be nice to know if we can expect them in the next six months.

I don't mind delays, have got very used to them, but some form of update would be nice and it doesn't have to be an in depth explanation, a simple update would be very welcome.

If we're making predictions, my prediction for 2013: BFC's work will be delayed when one of their 2-D artists is shot in bed by the jealous husband of a famous supermodel. Hey, it could happen! :o:P

Yeah, but more likely one of the beta testers will rise from his bed in a stupor and on his way into the bathroom will trip and smash his skull on the toilet bowl.

I'm establishing a pool on which one it will be and when it will happen.

:P

Michael

Bagration and Shock Force 2 are planned for 2013 (but not necessarily before June).

Spasiba. That means I will be commanding my Lendlease Shermans, emblazoned with patriotic slogans painted by the workers of Collective Farm 234, in the decisive battle to cleanse the Motherland of the Fascist defilers.

Zu Stalina!