Are Pumas blind?

SlowMotion

Just played Cats vs Dogs scenario as Germans vs AI.

CMBN 2.0.

[spoilers follow, so if you haven't played the scenario press Back button]

it felt like my Pumas had been fighting during midnight and their opponents in daylight. In spotting duels they lost to their allied m8 opponents time and time again. Killed by light armor before they had gotten even vague idea that something might be there.

Is there some reason for this? I can't remember spotting difference this big from any other scenario.

Well IIRC 2 of the 3 Pumas are Green, which reduces their spotting ability. Plus it's very misty and raining a little.

Also I noted that, often, the advancing Allies are partly hull-down.

I believe the 3 starting Pumas are of most use on the hill next to the impassable forrest, but usually they don't survive the match.

Ok, I suppose it's because of crew experience then.

While playing this I must say I often missed spotting based on hearing. You get very strange situations for example when there are vehicles on opposite sides of a hedge, maybe 10 meters away. Engine sounds and gun firing should be very easy to hear, but because spotting happens based on vision, an AI vehicle may continue idling even though another vehicle just started burning few meters away.

I played this again as I seemed to recall it was well done scenario. You would think the Puma would be the better vehicle with its closed top and 5cm gun versus 37mm open vehicle. But this can be a closed in pistol fight and the 37mm is a quick draw gun. The puma is accurately portrayed as a slower loading, and slower target acquisition vehicle.

Spoiler hint maybe:

The map is not small and if you hang back a bit the range may be to the puma's advantage, but the weather negates that as well. It is true the crews are low leadership which also seems to slow down target acquisition, don't know for sure but that is the impression.

SlowMotion,

I've played the scenario as the attacking Americans. It was a grueling, bloody, ugly fight. Here's how things unfolded on my end of the battle. Suffice it to say I found no problem with blind Pumas. I had terrible problems with deadly accurate ones and all but unkillable ones. If there were Green Pumas, you certainly couldn't prove it by me. I thought I was dealing with an ace Aufklarungs formation. Frankly, it's a wonder I didn't come out of that fight with PTSD! I believe reading my DAR will prove of considerable interest to you.

Regards,

John Kettler

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105379&page=19

I remember the first time playing that scenario as allied I wiped the out the Pumas no problemo. The second time I played the Pumas wiped me out no problemo. One gets the feeling that...

(SPOILER ALERT)

...the first helping of green Pumas are served up to you on a plate to make you overconfident. :)