Patch update

Don't know if this was ever discussed before:

Has there ever been discussion about the possibility of an automatic patch update from the main menu screen?

Example: in some matrix games you click on "check for update" and the program connects with an update server, checks versions and then updates your game to the current patch level. I like the simplicity and ease of this kind of feature and it's certainly not some kind of make or break issue. Just curious if this has been discussed as a possible future component....

Wouldn't that require that BFC gets their own patchservers first...

Sorry just a bit jaded about this issue.

I would assume it would, yes...

I don't follow on this forum much so I can't say I've seen any posts on the topic. Just curious if anyone or the developers had any information.

AIUI, it's been discussed before, and BFC have always come down on the side of "You're in control of your updates". When savegames aren't necessarily compatible, and games can take weeks or months to play, and both parties have to have the same version in order to play together, having a patch arrive automatically from the launcher that means you can't continue to play your game would be a bit of a loss of custom for BFC.

Womble has hit upon the best reason to not automatically update. However, in theory we could allow people to decline the update and then manually trigger it at a later time. It would be nice to have that, no doubt.

Having said that, we have no plans to do automatic updates. It's a technically complicated thing to get into and we feel our time is better spent making stuff for the games themselves.

Steve

AIUI, it's been discussed before, and BFC have always come down on the side of "You're in control of your updates". When savegames aren't necessarily compatible, and games can take weeks or months to play, and both parties have to have the same version in order to play together, having a patch arrive automatically from the launcher that means you can't continue to play your game would be a bit of a loss of custom for BFC.

Ey.

There is a big difference between these two things:

• Automatic updates
  • Simpler updates right in the game menu (but waiting until you click them)

Womble has hit upon the best reason to not automatically update. However, in theory we could allow people to decline the update and then manually trigger it at a later time. It would be nice to have that, no doubt.

Having said that, we have no plans to do automatic updates. It's a technically complicated thing to get into and we feel our time is better spent making stuff for the games themselves.

Steve

Agreed on the automatic. I was thinking more on the lines of an update where you click "update game" button on the main screen. A check is made for your version to the current version released. If s new version exists, then the game is updated, if a newer version doesn't, then you are informed that you are on the latest version of the game.

Totally understand the limited resources and where best to put them. Thanks for the reply.