need a tutorial for uniform modding

Well, I have crawled along slowly up to the point I am currently at.

I dl'd paint.NET and the plug-in to be able to use photoshop psd files.

I exploded the big brz files.

My 1st goal is to recolor the Italian soldier uniforms to look like African service.

2nd goal is to recolor the helmets for a similar effect.

Q: should I do the helmet first? Is that a better first level goal?

Loaded the bmp into paint.net.

Converted to grayscale so I retain the wrinkles and shades right?

Now I use recolor tool and select a secondary color.

It looks tan but seems too shiny or something.

I don't know enough of how to change saturation level or add in subtle changes to that new color I changed to.

I used the magic wand tool to pluck out the belt and make it a new layer so later I could add it back to the changed recolored uniform.

I have watched a few tutorials but they never seem specific enough to these actual goals.

Does anyone know of a specific uniform mod tutorial video or pdf? Webwing had a series of 7 tutorials which showed basic from scratch techniques with generic shapes but never got around to this type of specific tutorial. I think.

Thanks.

You may not have to layer a grayscale or B/w image for wrinkles anymore as the Normal map does that. And you can make a Normal map using Nvidia plug into photo shop.

I find making a swatch first and cloning that texture over the original bmp works best. By swatch I mean a big square image bmp of the texture you wish to copy. Starting with a tan solid colour is a good idea to learn. You can make all your hue and texture changes on the swatch and clone it to the uniform bmp using a clone brush tool. The clone tool has differnt settings and softlight or overlay will leave the wrinkles, that's the trade secret right there. Don't think of it as recolouring a BMP but cloning a texture. There is a reason for that when you want to start making camouflage patterns.

Also I can't imagine doing skins without photoshop. But I hear Gimp is a reasonable substitute. And its freeish.