Whom to attack next?

Hi all.

Now you've forced me to buy the game (which, admittedly, I am thoroughly enjoying!) I need some advice as to where to launch my first major offensive.

I've played a couple of single battles with varying degrees of success, and quite a few degrees of failure.

What's a good campaign to start me off with? I've done the tutorial mission and campaign, of course. I'd ideally like to play a CW campaign as the Allies, or another one as the Germans (nothing against you American chappies, but I just can't bring myself to attack brits/scots/canuks etc!)

Any advice?

Hi all.

Now you've forced me to buy the game (which, admittedly, I am thoroughly enjoying!) I need some advice as to where to launch my first major offensive.

I've played a couple of single battles with varying degrees of success, and quite a few degrees of failure.

What's a good campaign to start me off with? I've done the tutorial mission and campaign, of course. I'd ideally like to play a CW campaign as the Allies, or another one as the Germans (nothing against you American chappies, but I just can't bring myself to attack brits/scots/canuks etc!)

Any advice?

Although not completely what you're looking for, a good campaign to start with is this one:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1165

You play as US Paratroopers, it's nice and immersive and is good way to get to know the campaign system. It's always relatively short and of course loads of fun :D.

I wouldn't play the 'Scottish Corridor' campaign for a while as it's designed to be quite challenging. I don't know if there are any third party Commonwealth campaigns available to download yet but I'm sure the good folks here will point you to them if they do exist. "Devils Descent' is a good place to start as it's a small-ish campaign and is probably a nice step up in difficulty from the tutorial. From there you can go to either 'Panzers March' Germans v US AI or 'Road to Montebourg', US v German AI. Montebourg has around 14 missions so perhaps the German campaign would be better.

Well it's good to know The Scottish Corridor was designed to be a challenge - this was the first CM game I ever bought, jumped right into the campaign, and I thought I just sucked =P

If your preference is for Germans or Commonwealth in campaign mode, Panzer Marsch is a good one to start with, and The Scottish Corridor is your only option for CW forces except for fan-made campaigns, and I haven't tried any of those yet, so I can't say. Don't let the difficulty of The Scottish Corridor scare you away, though - just don't be afraid of failure, usually you'll still get to advance in the campaign, and I believe many of the missions that inspired this campaign were historically failures anyway, so you're in good company =)

Well it's good to know The Scottish Corridor was designed to be a challenge - this was the first CM game I ever bought, jumped right into the campaign, and I thought I just sucked =P

To be fair, you probably did suck a little, too. 'Tain't the easiest of games to get efficient with, and every time you play, there's something to learn.

Well I haven't met a battle I didn't like, and I've tried most of the available options for the Commonwealth side, although I haven't finished all of them. I worked my way up from smallest to largest - my preference is for the medium sized scenarios, the really big ones tend to get a bit overwhelming, for me and my laptop.

EDIT: If you're looking for more specific suggetions, "In the Shadow of the Hill" is kind of like a second mini-campaign for the CW forces. I also enjoyed the two Buron battles and Authie ("To Surrender Invites Death"), I was immediately drawn to those so I could play with the Canucks. It brought a smile to my face to see my old professor Terry Copp cited as a source for some of those.

To be fair, you probably did suck a little, too. ...

Haha, thanks womble. It's true, Combat Mission really took a pin to my inflated wargamer ego - usually after playing the AI once, the only challenge to be had is against a human opponent, but that campaign really kicked my ass at first. The last time a game gave me so much trouble was with TacOps, back when it was available for free.