CM:N A Short Film by Accident

WynnterGreen,

Was that a battalion shoot or an entire regiment? Judging from what I saw, the AI's pretty stupid when it comes to self-preservation. After the first few shells hit, everyone else should've hit the deck, thus, wouldn't have been standing around waiting for his turn to die. The fire was so annihilating, it makes me wonder why anyone needed infantry and armor, other than for mopping up? I know the answers, of course, but that's how it seems after watching the savaging the artillery handed out. And that wasn't even a TOT (Time On Target) shoot!

Regards,

John Kettler

WynnterGreen,

Was that a battalion shoot or an entire regiment? Judging from what I saw, the AI's pretty stupid when it comes to self-preservation. After the first few shells hit, everyone else should've hit the deck, thus, wouldn't have been standing around waiting for his turn to die. The fire was so annihilating, it makes me wonder why anyone needed infantry and armor, other than for mopping up? I know the answers, of course, but that's how it seems after watching the savaging the artillery handed out. And that wasn't even a TOT (Time On Target) shoot!

Regards,

John Kettler

Looking at the size of the craters, I would guess it was some sort of naval bombardment, and since WG was "playing with explody stuff", I'd further hazzard that it was the largest kind available. Really big bada boom. I don't believe you could, on the scale of that scenario, reliably discern the survival benefit of going prone, since although it might be double, the difference between 1 and 2 percent is going to get lost in the noise unless you did a lot of iterations.

Initially I'd been placing various armour and infantry units out in the open and dropping everything from 81mm Mortar through to British 5.5inch (140mm) Guns at various distances from Gerry to gauge effectiveness in game.

Later I decided to try the same tests with the units in town and in buildings.

After a while I got distracted by placing the units 'plausibly' within the town and setting waypoints to make them look like they were 'going about their business'.

That was quickly followed by a "MuHaHaHaHa" moment where I decided to hit 'SimCity' with a Naval bombardment to ruin their day.

While watching the devastation, from a multitude of angles, I just as quickly started feeling sorry for the little pixeltruppen.

'Documenting' their demise, and my shame, felt like the right thing to do.

I hit them with:

4 x 15" (381mm) Naval Guns

8 x 7.2" (183mm) Gun Troop

8 x 105mm Priest Howitzers

CM+Normandy+2012-11-01+08-41-07-87.jpg

Initially I'd been ...

Later I decided to ...

After a while I got distracted by placing the units 'plausibly' within the town and setting waypoints to make them look like they were 'going about their business'.

rofl - been there, done that, many a time :D

WynnterGreen,

No wonder the town was practically obliterated! Back in my CMBO days, I was playing a scenario with my Forever War opponent, who I think was Kingfish. In this scenario, I had a Green naval FO--attached to a battleship! I didn't have but a few rounds, but this guy came through, and spectacularly at that. I was deathly afraid of a short or misaimed round, but he dropped a 15" round right onto the cluster of buildings I needed hit. The huge projectile came roaring in thunderously, after which a titanic explosion occurred. Direct hit, not just on the target, but the foe's morale. Essentially, I obliterated practically a company in one shot. You hit the place with four 15" guns, 7.2s and 105s. It's a wonder there's anything left, either of the town or the soldiers and equipment.

Regards,

John Kettler

2300 hrs, 15 June 1944 to 0400, June 16, 1944

(before British ground attack on the village of Cristot in Operation Dauntless)

Shelling all that time by:

*3 Royal Navy Cruisers,

*76th AA Brigade

*5th AGRA (62 guns in 2nd Army)

*121st Medium Artillery Regiment (16 x 5.5" guns)

*49th Div Arty (72 x 25-pounders)

...and then British fighter-bombers raked over the area with rockets and strafing for 15minutes prior to jumpoff.

Apparently a surprisingly small portion of the ordnance fell on live Germans, because the 12th SS had already pulled back mostly to positions behind the village.

Good example. FWIW;

*3 Royal Navy Cruisers = 18-24 x 6-in

*76th AA Brigade = 48 x 3.7-in HAA

*5th AGRA (62 guns in 2nd Army) = 8 x 7.2-in, 8 x 155mm, 46 x 5.5-in

*121st Medium Artillery Regiment = 16 x 5.5" guns

*49th Div Arty = 72 x 25-pounders

Which sounds like - and is! - a lot, but without knowing the area of the targets, nor the rounds-per-gun involved, it's a bit hard to make any firm judgement.

Op TOTALISE also had a very nice fireplan. And so did VERITABLE. And VARSITY.

Edit: looks like someone has been shopping at GMT Games :D