Mac-F12

F12 doesn't seem to do anything at all within the game on my Mac.

:confused:

Michael

Right. That's what I'm asking about. F12 is documented (in the hotkeys window) as reselecting the last selected unit.

And on the PC it does, which is awesome... you click on a unit, plot a course somewhere move over there on the map, then click on the ground so you can see all the enemy units. Then you want that previous unit back again ... OMG, without F12 what a lot of fiddling around...

... but F12 on the Mac doesn't seem to get to the game at all... it activates the Mac sound functions (at least, on mine it does).

GaJ

In System Preferences, go to Keyboard. There, mark box Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys and try again. I suppose it will make it work.

Let me get this straight - on a Mac, the function keys do not act as function keys unless you specifically turn them on to do that ?

<Boggle>

With the default settings, you can access the function keys by pressing Fn + the function key you want. If you change the setting like argie said, it's the other way round - you access the volume up/down, the dashboard, etc. with Fn + the function key.

Let me get this straight - on a Mac, the function keys do not act as function keys unless you specifically turn them on to do that ?

<Boggle>

It's not at all uncommon to have the function keys double as special keys for things like volume up/down and so on - most laptop keyboards are like that, and some desktop keyboards too (like my own Microsoft keyboard). One mode is set as the default, and the other works with a modifier key (Fn key usually).

Then, there are basically three possibilities :

- the keys perform some special actions by default, and you have to press the Fn key at the same time to get it to work as a function key - it's the default mode for Apple keyboards;

- the opposite (function key by default, special actions with the Fn key) - it's the default on my Toshiba laptop for instance;

- or you can have a key that permanently switches between the two modes (kinda like the num. lock key for the keypad) - it's how it works on my Microsoft keyboard.