New file at the Repository: Monty's Butchers (2012-09-10)

Monty’s Butchers is a scenario to be played with the CW module. It is a large scale battle on a large map. Best played turn based British player vs German AI or Head to Head. It can be played real time but it is fast paced and hard to be everywhere at once. However, it is by far the most challenging. The scenario takes place in August of 1944. Operation Tractable has begun and Monty’s Butchers need to secure the flank. The town of Grimbosq is the key!

More...

• 3 weeks later...

I've only started up the scenario to look at the map yet, but it looks like one of the best maps I've ever seen in CMBN! I'm playing with Aris terrain, and it looks breathtaking! Fantastic work! I usually find large battles to much for my limited tactical skill, but I think I will try this one out, even if I'll get my ass handed to me!

• 3 weeks later...

To my suprise I just finished this with a Mayor Victory with 35 mins to go and not even started to attack the town itself. I just cleared Hill 274.

One reflection is that you should add allot of german reinforcements that will spawn after the game time is up so the overall morale of the germans are a bit stronger. was a bit suprised to see the town surrender after just som arty on it and with tanks on the outskirts and nothing else.

But it is a great (and huge!) scenario and I recommend it to anyone who want to play a larger Brittish scenario!

Great to hear, Chainsaw! I’m glad you liked it. I agree with your ending critique, a lot of the AI plans are designed to apply as much pressure to the advancing force as possible. However, this does exhaust the German forces towards the end.

A solution would be to add more static forces because all AI plans had been used. But, this could end up being a little gamey if the British forces have pushed past the town. So realistically, the only answer is to wait for the upgrade where 16 plans will be available.

I thought about waiting for the upgrade before uploading the final version of Monty’s Butchers. Then I thought the scenario is realistic. The Germans desperately trying to, “Throw everything into the fire” to hold their position long enough to bring the remainder of the 279th across the Orne River. In your case, your forces had overwhelmed the defender. Their position simply became untenable. I don’t think it was a standard game surrender but more of the enemy being routed. Great job!

Ah I see. yeah the advance was grueling indeed. the worst part is that it matches what I have read (been reading a few Bn war diaries and personal accounts). What impresses me the most is that most of the scenario plays out like any ordinary british assault that I read about. So you really got that right!

One other odd thing that I came to remember now is the Artillery in the begining. you get 4th Bns Mortar platoons, thats totally fine. but then you get 75mm pack howitzers? whats up with that? no 75th pack howitzers was used in NWE by the british as far as I know (excluding the airborne lads). Wouldn't ordinary 25pdrs be more representative?

I will definitely give this scenario another go when the patch comes out!

Here is the ending screen of my battle, as you can see I got some heavy casualties...

/Chainsaw

montysbutchers.jpg