Infantry firing at Tanks

Nope. They'll only fire at unbuttoned tank commanders though. Exposed TCs are seemingly right at the top of their target priority list. Followed by anyone showing themselves outside the armour of any vehicle. So fairly shortly, the TC will be dead or ducking for cover and your grunts will start shooting at other grunts, mounted ones first.

...AND your infantry will be dead from the HE to the face they take from the tank, dead commander or not.

maybe. More often than not I have gotten away with taking out TCs depending on the terrain.

However if I had no AT weapons available, I doubt I'd bother opening up. You have little to gain as the tank will only be discomfited briefly if it loses the TC (I have driven off a tank with nothing more than rifle fire and a rifle grenade in CM though).