Vehicle pathing indication?

In a briefing, I am told

"To access the high ground you will need to follow the roads. Infantry can use the path through the cliffs"

However, the movement tool does not alert me that there is any terrain that AFVs or Infantry cannot go on in this area of the map.

What is the deal there?

Thanks!

GaJ

The tool does alert you when you can't put down a waypoint on that bit of terrain. What it doesn't do is alert you that there's no way (or at least no good way) to get to a particular waypoint if the waypoint itself is in valid territory. Unfortunately, this would be quite expensive information to create on the fly. Plus, it isn't totally bad for the game that small paths might be overlooked by the player. Real war features quite a few instances of the enemy showing up where it wasn't expected. Better if you're the one showing up unexpected than the other way around, of course :D

Steve

The scenario is Alvano Anvil.

The way I read it, the designer is trying to tell me that the AFVs won't go up the "cliffs" that he refers to. However, the pathing tool tells me that I can put a waypoint on these...

(Note that I just commenced this H2H, so I can't go messing around "trying things out")

GaJ

Unfortunately, this would be quite expensive information to create on the fly. Plus, it isn't totally bad for the game that small paths might be overlooked by the player.

A price probably most Wego players would like to play. A preview on the expected(!) path of a unit would be most helpful. All this aaargh moments when they run the other way round in front of the enemy MG...

I don't agree with the 'overlooked small paths' argument. The player has the full map with every detail and can know if a unit can traverse a piece of ground or not by moving the cursor over it. By not giving a preview you just make it harder for the player to discover information he has.

IME the number of 'unit has found a path I didn't see' events are much, much smaller than the 'lets take the scenic route instead of the ordered' incidents. This experience may differ if you play RT.

I'd rather not have this thread diverted to "show us more about pathing". Let's have another thread for that.

I'm still trying to understand why the designer of this scenario says I can't go up the "cliffs" with my tanks, but the movement tool says I can.

I imagine I'm at least 20 game-minutes of H2H play away from finding out the hard way, but some heads-up would be nice :)

GaJ

I'm still trying to understand why the designer of this scenario says I can't go up the "cliffs" with my tanks, but the movement tool says I can.

I think that whether the "impassable" icon shows is entirely dependent on the terrain type of the tile you're hovering over. I don't think it pays any attention to the gradient of the tile (especially since that's not part of the underlying map definition that the engine uses as instructions as to what 3D surface to draw; all the map knows AIUI is the spot elevation at the AS), so if I'm right, I'm afraid there's no way of knowing for sure in advance what hills the tank can't climb. All you've got is level 1 view and a best guess therefrom.