Contour maps

I was hoping to use a contour map for realism and immersion. I'd like to play from the commander view point. It would be great to use the map for the planning stage and fine tune unit placement after they have arrived at the designated waypoints. (OPs, BOFs, Assault/Phase lines, Etc). For the fine tuning it seems reasonable to get a view from the unit eye level (or use the coloured target line). But I'd get a kick of making the plan on a map that showed the elevation changes.

Many maps, especially in CMBN and CMBN:CW, are closely based on real places. With a bit of rummaging around you should be able to create your own map based on something out of Geoportail, G-Maps, or G-Earth.

CMx1 series of games had a whole of 20 different height levels. Each level had its own set of texture, which allowed for the effect. The current series allows for 1000 height levels! It's just built in a completely different way.

As well as CMX2 ground textures are super sized compared to even what was considered a standard "Hi Res" grass mod in CMBO. Ten different grass hues per type in CMX2 would probably grind the computer to a halt.

Mord.