AT gun on the offense.

Im playing the Scottish Corridor campaign. So far, two missions provide a 6pdr or two as "reinforcements" on an offensive mission. AT guns are not at the top of my list of offensive weapons. I think of them more as a defense weapon.

Any tips on how best to employ an AT gun as an offensive weapon?:confused:

Well, a few suggestions on setting them up:

Be aware that the game makes crazy things happen when setting up guns behind a wall or bocage- try to rotate them a bit and the gun may end up on the other side of the fence. So it might be worth setting them up in the open, say in keyholed positions.

Use smoke and suppression to cover their movement and set-up.

Put them where your other units have already been, so they are not the first to discover nasty surprises in the form of enemy fire.

They could also be useful to throw HE accurately at enemy buildings from a considerable distance.

That's a fun campaign. I got stopped on about the sixth battle, I think by the 'barbed wire bug', I hope some fix for that gets implemented.

Would those missions be 'Mondrainville' and 'Ten out of Ten'? The AT guns are very, very useful in both those missions and they were used offensively in the historical actions. There is a meeting engagement later in the campaign where you have to move into positions before the Germans do. It's a bit easier to get them placed and set up without interference from the opposition.

When using them offensively, it's best not to be too aggressive with them. ;) Don't drive them into the LoS of a MG team for example, even at long range as the carrier gets spotted very easily. Better to unlimber the gun out of LoS and get the crew to push it into place. Putting down some mortar smoke will help accomplish this too.

Funny. I've been playing around with these on the attack, and have found as long as you can set them up unobserved, you can kick some ass with them. Its easy to move them into position unobserved in woods, or behind bocage.

My current pbem battle is all infantry with AT guns vs. an armored group. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

If playing as Germans, try the 75mm or even the 150mm Infantry Guns. The 150(SiG33)is a bear to push, but can vaporize an undamaged tree in one shot, so imagine the damage it can do to troops. It can create its own keyholes then fire through them. Which can be handy. :)

The small shield and short barrel length do something to the spotting code I think. The things are very stealthy if they can be placed in concealing terrain without being spotted.

The enemy will usually have to track in on the acoustical signature if the gun is behind one or two woods tiles.

-----

If playing as Germans, try the 75mm or even the 150mm Infantry Guns. The 150(SiG33)is a bear to push, but can vaporize an undamaged tree in one shot, so imagine the damage it can do to troops. It can create its own keyholes then fire through them. Which can be handy. :)

The small shield and short barrel length do something to the spotting code I think. The things are very stealthy if they can be placed in concealing terrain without being spotted.

The enemy will usually have to track in on the acoustical signature if the gun is behind one or two woods tiles.

-----

I certainly won't sigh with regret if another scenario hands me one of these difficult-to-shift beasties, having seen it in action. Those shells, fired direct are monsters.