Side effects...

I have found since I started reading ALL of the forum and looking at ALL the pictures, and reading ALL the AAR's, and watching ALL the .avi's, that the rest of my games aren't holding my interest much right now. Does anybody else feel the same way? I came upon CM quite late by most everyone else's standards. How do you make the days go by?

Well, work takes about a third of the day. This weekend, anyway, we've been kept busy hauling stuff outside to dry (stupid hurricane!) and, for some odd reason, my sister is hell-bent-for-leather to make apple crisp, so that meant a road trip to an orchard.

I've been thinking of picking up the game "Darkstone" cause I've heard good things about it, and it belongs to a genre (Diablo-esque adventure/RPG games) I've enjoyed in the past.

I'm also tempted to dust off MechCommander again, since I had a lot of fun with that one (more than the general reviews would have indicated)

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 09-19-99).]

I haven't gotten seriously into a game since CC2... I've played a bunch but they've just been novelties that quickly get old. One game I continue to play is coc (chain of command). It's not a perfect game but is still fun to play with some friends.

Am hoping CM will make for some really good challenges smile.gif

oops left out the tie in smile.gif

I think the vision of what CM is to be or can be does make other games less attractive. I've had this mindset "waiting for CM" for quite a while and see other games with it in mind, mostly it makes me think about what I might someday be able to create smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lokesa (edited 09-19-99).]

I'm OK with work and chores around the house (no hurricanes, thank god)- I am used to turning my brain off while I get through that stuff. Been playing the Rogue Spear demo a lot, but I think the problem is that I don't really have a comparable game to CM. CC3 got a brief airing and was removed again (think someone else said the same thing somewhere around here). I play the HPS games a lot, but they are not even close to the same either. I know that once the demo(s) show up, I am going to wear them out!

See what you've done BTS?!?

I spent half an hour in a software store today. Lots of new releases out, but in the end it was "Why buy this now, when CM comes out it'll just gather dust."

A week ago, I did get Tiberian Sun, mainly for play against folks at work, my son at home, and brother across the net.

But it's just marking time...

I haven't got a computer game in awhile, either. Mostly it was from a lack of money. Now that I have money (thank you, student loan) I went out shopping today. Nothing looked really interesting. Not even the stuff that was dirt cheap caught my eye.

I basically thought to myself, 'No matter how cheap this is, I'd rather be reading about Combat Mission or reading some book on WWII weapons or tactics.'

Although I have picked up on my CC2 campaign that was laying dormant. My Arnhem paratroopers are being hard pressed by the Germans. This is my first campaign and I'm having a hard time with German armor.

I think the sounds of CC2 are its most immersive factor and I'm looking forward to the demo so I can HEAR how great CM is (it already LOOKS great).

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 09-20-99).]

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 09-20-99).]

Well, I haven't bought a game for umm close to 3 months now I guess when I usually would get at least one a month.

Since playing CM's alpha the ONLY game or demo which I've played is the demo for Starfleet Command. SFC looks very good but I can't be bothered buying it since CM is just what I've been waiting for and is delivering MORE than I thought it would.

I've just seen some cool things I hadn't seen before too wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I just discovered this site a couple weeks ago, and have been drawn to it ever since. I'm certain I've read 90% of the Combat Mission board. I'm just dying to get this game on my drive! To ease the pain of the wait I'm playing my old standby, Silent Hunter. It's a great submarine sim. Boku's Armies of Armageddon-Wargames Dev. Kit

will be out VERY soon and the demo looks great. I bought it to supplement Silent Hunter for the long wait ahead. I predict CM will ship in early December, but bare in mind that my wife thinks I'm a pessimist. I certainly don't want them to rush out a buggy product. Good things come to those who wait. Mikeman out.

[This message has been edited by Mikeman (edited 09-20-99).]

This is so funny. Sad, pathetic and perfectly true. smile.gif

I've passed by a number of games I otherwise would have bought (the dust factor), although I did get SFC - different kind of game, and good for filling in shortish periods.

I've also got a few "fillers". CC2 went back on the Mac last week (no marking got done that night), and I even bought East Front II just to get some WWII action going.

My WWII library continues to go up too. really annoyed the local borders was missing 3 titles I went in search of.

Yup - the CM demo might burn out my hard drive.

While waiting for Combat Mission, I've been playing the following (and for the following reasons);

1) SFC; incredibly detailed ship to ship combat set in the SFB world. I used to playtest for SFB.

2) West Front/East Front 2. I just love the tactical/operational level involved and have played some insanely large battles with it.

3) Age of Empires/ Age of Kings. Get a weird thrill out of building up an empire and then taking the 'hands off' approach and watching it decay.

4) Close Combat 2 with the extensive Dar Fuchs 'East Front' Mod

5) Steel Panthers: WW2

But....I check the Battlefront website several times a day to see if there is any news about the game.

Tom

I made the CC3 comment before... Just got CC2 back from a friend I'd lent it too, maybe that'll go back on. What else have I played:

SFC - Initially I really liked it, but I wish it was turn based. I'd like be able to manage larger forces.

East Front II - I've been playing smaller scenerios, sadly trying to force it into CMishness. (hmm... new word)

Everquest - Not at all in the same vein. This has taken up most of my gaming time by far. One of those horrible massively muliplayer role playing games. The biggest drawback is the large numbers of immature people (from all age groups). However, after some time (much time) you'll find a good group of people of the same maturity and the game really takes off. I've stopped playing lately because I need to start writing up a thesis... If you're of only casual interest to RPG's, stay clear, this one requires a vast amount of time!

Justin Hoerter

PS Moon, I've readied my lucky bastard seeking missile. smile.gif However, I'll stay my hand if you keep the great AAR's coming...

Guest John Pender

Everything seems hollow compared to CM. Can't play Steel Panthers or Close Combat II anymore. I still play Age of Sail, I like to create scenarios from books I read. Speaking of books and CM, instead of playing/buying WWII games now I buy books to help me play/design scenarios for CM. Panzer Truppen 2 and The Handbook on German Military forces are the latest additions to the collection. Anybody have any recomendations for the collection?

Cant wait for CM much longer.

John (Pender),

In reference to your question about good books for scenarios:

The US Army Handbook by George Forty is a good litle book about US forces. It's a Barnes & Noble exclusive and it's only 10 dollars. I think you already have one of the best books out there in the German Handbook.

I was at Barnes & Noble and saw a book following Patton's Third Army. It doesn't go into tremendous detail, but it lists day by day where the army fought. You can also find books that follow small units throughout the war. I think 'Band of Brothers' by Stephen Ambrose is one of them.

I have seveal vehicle books, too. 'World War Two Tanks' by George Forty and 'The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II' and a few others. I will use those to make sure that I don't have vehicles in places they shouldn't be and making sure that I don't have platoons of rare vehicles running around. I'm not going to have 20 sturmtigers in a scenario when they only ever made, like, 10 in the first place. And I'll use the books to make sure that I have the right kind of units and experience levels, too.

I think that if you can get books that give the general description of the units and the terrain, you can make a thoroughly believable scenario. I certainly won't know the difference. On any scenario I design, I'm going to try and stay away from blatant errors more than anything. I mean, there's so little info on company level engagements that I think most grognards won't be able to tell if you are exactly correct.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 09-21-99).]

One other game on my "coming soon" list: Armies of Apocalypse: Wargame Construction Kit. Another Battlefront product to boot. smile.gif

The demo can now be downloaded now. Nice little science fiction miniature-based game system, and editable to death (hence the "Wargame Construction Kit" bit).

Great fun.

To keep myslef busy I have been playing

Chain Of Command Fun and free, but after several months starting to lose interest.

Delta Force My one and only FPS game, Fun but getting very tired of all the cheaters online. O Well fortunatly the Single player is fun, I just wish there was some sort of random battle generator.

Homeworld I beta tested this one (its coming out Sep. 28), the game is visually beautiful, the interface is simply the best and easiest I have ever encountered. You fight in a fully 3D enviroment, SPACE!

------------------

"Armchair Generals never lose any men"-Darstand