Why I hate action spots

I also seem to recall Lovat's men later decided to cross Pegasus Bridge nonchalantly strolling despite there still being snipers - a decision that cost them several men.

"The commandos then marched across Pegasus Bridge to the sound of Bill Millin's bagpipes, as a result of which twelve men died, shot through their berets."

Apparently even Scottish chutzpah has a price. Imagine what would have happened to him as a commander if he did that today in, say, Afghanistan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, force fire is definitely constrained by action spots...

No it isn't. Forced area fire is constrained by AS. Targetted fire is targetted at the target, wherever it is.

...what about AI fire?...

AI fire is constrained by exactly the same rules as forced fire. The AI doesn't use area fire much (just a bit sent the way of a contact that's stopped being spotted, mostly).

...if we can fire at direct contacts anywhere they are, and presumably not in an action spot center, why isnt equally possible to force fire to any point in LoS in the same way?

As you say, there's probably a perfectly sound coding answer within the architecture of the game. I do remember reading somewhere that area fire is actually centred around where you click rather than where the firing line gets drawn to, but I have no way of proving that one way or the other.

No it isn't. Forced area fire is constrained by AS. Targetted fire is targetted at the target, wherever it is..

I meant area fire indeed.

I do remember reading somewhere that area fire is actually centred around where you click rather than where the firing line gets drawn to, but I have no way of proving that one way or the other.

That d be (good) news actually! Although I have the feeling is not correct. Can anyone confirm or otherwise? The manual suggests that the area fire is actually tied to the underlying AS albeit spread over the whole AS as the firing unit first fire to one side of the AS then the opposite etc. But still tied to that AS.

JonS,

The first made me laugh so hard I almost choked, causing me to miss the poetry of the last sentence. Definitely sig worthy!

What I forgot is that “fast” and “Churchill” never belong in the same sentence....Shortly after that the Churchill dissipated too.

Regards,

John Kettler