"The Farm" Tournament - Round 3 AAR Thread

Taking the liberty to post this thread instead of Bimmer... hope he forgives my insolence!

Here a link to my first ever video AAR on this 3rd round of the Farm. It is a sequence of around 20-25 turns recorded individually and joined together. When I tested the full clip it seems that it may suddenly stop in between clips. If that happens just click or reload the video again and try to move to where you left it to continue. Apologies in advance for poor quality etc!

Viajero (Americans) vs Wartooth (Germans):

http://www.livestream.com/viaj/video?clipId=pla_23bdf7ba-cc92-4538-8ea9-4b5f81f0fcb2

Dont forget to maximize the video window for best viewing!

Great AAR and a nail biting finish Viajero. I was playing as the Americans in one of the other games. Unfortunately, my opponent was unable to finish the game so I won by default.

I think that particular scenario is quite a tough one for the Germans to win, and if your men in the cafe had opened fire when they were being approached your right flank would have held up well. Maybe I shouldn't be saying this incase I'm drawn against you the next round, but I don't like using the hide feature if you're expecting close quarter fighting. In the past I've had an opponent's tank drive right over a wall where a unit of mine with a panzerfaust was hiding and because the men were on 'hide' they did not see the tank until they were being crushed to death! After that event I stopped using hide for such close range ambush situations and find that although you are more likely to be spotted at a further distance you will still more than likely see your opponent first and come off the better form the encounter.

All the best for your next round.

In this scenario I was Germans. I had a platoon on an infiltration mission; there was some artillery (2-4 tubes, type unknown) in the area and I was supposed to take them out if possible. Then withdraw east.

Setting up in the east, I took a small risk on turn 1 and ran full squads to the hedgerows along east side of the N-S road. (Strangely, I could not split squads in setup for some reason.) This worked fine -- no Americans.

Here you can see my guys on the first hedgerow. The Americans are sound contacts for various vehicles.

WDspS.png

The next few turns, I cautiously moved across to the hedgerows on the west side of the road. Two American priests were discovered, as well as some small teams in the buildings and in the orchard area.

6wbAp.png

pPJyh.png

I decided to try to push on my right (the north side), into the Farm proper. The left looked unpromising because the priests were there. You can see a crater that a Priest made.

5gaoL.png

I fired for a few turns:

uw5oQ.png

More firing to soften up farm. Note the team bugging out on my right:

WEX25.png

After shooting up what I could see, I sent in a team. Big mistake -- a jeep MG was sitting behind a wall.

kWcMI.png

I saw the jeep only after it killed my team. The next turn my men killed it somehow, but I didn't see what happened to the crew.

This minor defeat, plus the lack of good terrain, soured me on this approach. Also, I had noticed that the Priests fired (area fire toward me generally, with no effect), but they had not rotated at all. If they were mobile, the scenario would seem to be rather imbalanced, and also, why would my opponent leave them sitting there while I assaulted on the right?

So my guess was the Priests were immobile. And given the weak forces seen thus far, I figured there were good odds I could sweep across the south of the map and get behind the Priests, where they would be unable to affect me, then kill them using grenades.

Leaving a few men behind in the north near the Farm to ostentatiously area fire, all my other men swept south:

3mP9r.png

Checking out the cafe:

uQfDA.png

Note the continued area fire on the right:

MujYn.png

Continuing to sweep to my left:

9plEp.png

Scouting the southern hay field:

1TbR8.png

Still no Americans found.

ClgTS.png

Notice the area fire into the bocage corner where we previously saw Americans:

kzXUs.png

The American fires smoke to screen his units from his front. But we are on his flank! Not sure if he knows what's happening; hope this means my distractions have worked. Scouts enter the southwest field.

ikWKR.png

More men in the southwest field. Casualties from across the hedgerow for one team.

lmD5m.png

Team on other side killed. I now aggressively front up on the hedgerow in the southwest. Demos used to get through in one spot. The selected team is about to fire a panzerfaust at the nearer Priest, missing it.

vyH0o.png

Taking out the few remaining American infantry there:

G6O53.png

Here we knocked out the first Priest, with a lucky grenade. The throw:

ak92K.png

Boom!

lbCD2.png

Ouch:

aagz2.png

The priest now marked as dead:

thmYl.png

A halftrack MG attempted to help, but took a pegging from my two MG teams, and retreated. I didn't know, but evidently the crew abandoned it or was killed.

Two trucks (apparently without drivers) are killed by MG fire from the selected team:

iWI5g.png

The other Priest is killed via close assault.

CvThe.png

Moving up to assault the farm:

w5Ow2.png

At this point, the enemy surrendered. Which made sense, since he had almost nothing left.

German Army Tactical Victory

score: US 86, Germans 175

US:

men

OK 4

KIA 18

WIA 20

MIA 0

vehicles lost

tank: 0

armored: 2

other: 4