Should I buy Global Conflict+Gold or The Great War?

Hi fellow gamers!

I've played SC W&W some years ago and SC1 before that. Now I've time to play this awesome game again. I'm mostly interested in WWII history and games and I do like big maps with a lot of options. That means I don’t like solid fronts everywhere and the following forced slug fight it always results in. I want a game there strategic aspects are almost as important as brute force.

At a first glance GC seems like the obvious choice, but I've heard there is some really good WWII maps to GW as well. Since GW is newer maybe it's better I figured. But now I saw that GC Gold was out, so maybe it settles it?

If I remembered right, then I followed Huberts work on GC, where was some limits in the fact what strength and so only could be programmed with one digit (1-9). Therefore it was a problem to fit in more units like garrisons for instance. Do GC+Gold or GW has this limit or is it improved?

Since I'm not sure, I hereby ask you guys that knows this much better than me. Which one do you think I should buy? Both are not an answer since I don’t want to be away to much from my wonderful family. :)

Personally I own WW1 and GC gold and I only played one game of GC gold and uncountable matches of WW1... I just think the setup of the war leads itself to playing way better.(You can try SO many tactics and moves because it is rather well balanced, anything from early serbian invasion to strong attack on french frontlines(with some practice) is possible)

In WW2 you are pretty much always going to come down to the same basic strat, take poland, then overrun france and have a giant duke out war with Russia. It just feels a lot more "guided" to me, but maybe I am just not as well practiced in it.(but fleetwhise too, I have seen the German fleet defeat the British one in WW1 quite a few times before, but I don't think it is possible to do that in WW2 just because the german fleet is near non existant)

Thanks for your answer Sapare. You've got an interesting point there.

If I buy GW it’s to play WWII maps. Of cause I would try WWI, buts that are not what I’m looking for. So far it seems GC has the upper hand, since it also give you the pacific theater.

Two questions remains:

1. Are any of the game engines superior to the other, aka has lesser limitations for future upgrades or modes?

2. Are there mods to both GC and GW that will give me historic accurate German, Japanese and so on flags? I'll not spend a single dollar on a “fantasy” or historic inaccurate game since it takes away the whole play atmosphere and feeling.

Looking forward to your answers, so I can buy it asap. :-)

I am far from an expert in either of those two question and I won't even try to answere the 2nd one as I plain don't know, but on your first question.

I believe both games run on the same engine and with that on the same limitations. Again, I don't know for sure but having played both of them back to back I felt not much of a difference.(the only real impact I noticed is the fact that the GC map is very scalled down to be able to support the whole world as a map.(things are a lot smaller))

But honestly, if you are just interested in WW2 and not WW1, obviously it would be smarter to buy the game which was build to support WW2 rather then the game which is centered on WW1 and just has some WW2 mods.(at least that is my opinion, so yea, go with GC would be my vote)

I can't say anything from a mod perspective, but only from a gaming outlook...

I would vote for WWI.

I have both WWI and regular Global. Global was good, and really only had one thing I didn't like. After playing PDE & WAW, the map and scale of Global was too small for me. (Not a knock on the game, but just my preference.) I then got WWI when the WWII campaign was going to be added. I played a little of WWI (which was alot of fun) but then went to the WWII campaign, and the size of the map is just the best. It gives you so many more options than the old PDE/WAW games and not the restricted scale of Global. The "minor" units such as AA, artillery, AT, etc., seem to fit it much better with the WWI game map.

No game engines is superior, as far as I can tell, you would go better with SC GC+GOLD, you like WWII better... but keep an eye on it, I love WWII games, never got my self into WWI, but after SC TGW, I know a lot about this enormous and extremely interesting war... My vote is, go for SC GC+GOLD, play it, play a lot, play via mail, play TCP/IP, play against the AI, you will loose months, if not a year, after it, finaly, buy SC TGW and have a completely different war to wage, complet different strategy to use... Do this, it's the best way.... oh, play the demos of both games, it might help...

• 2 weeks later...

After having played a pretty long match of GCG I can say one more thing. With my personal experience the AI works a lot better on the large scale map of GW rather then the small Scale map of GC. Obviously I am no expert but to me it just felt like it could handle supply lines and HQ support(the two most important things anyway) way better in the large scale map, rather then the tiny scale map of GC. Maybe wana consider that.(or if you disagree argue against it. Like I said, my judgment might be off)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading read every word of the excellent AAR's for both GC and GW, I was hooked!

My status is "old time gamer" (my first computer used a cassette player as the disc(?) drive for text only Zork games) and my preferred genre is turn based strategy. CIV 1 holds a very special place in my memories.

GC or GW? It is obvious that the games take a long time to play to completion, so one at a time seemed like a reasonable choice. The scope of GC appealed to me, I've never played a WWII game across the entire world at once! On the other hand, the scale of GW seem to be more proper for the game, units and more consistent with my prior gaming experieces.

GC or GW? I mused on the decision overnight.

The global scope of GC won out! I ordered a disc the other day and can't wait until it gets here. (I told you I was an old timer, I really like having a disc in hand.)

But the next morning I thought that I would really like the more correct (in my opinion)scale of GW, so I ordered a disc of that game also.

ADDA, if my discerning and decisive analysis has been any help in your decision, send $50 to the following address:

Welcome aboard EdR and glad to hear that both games caught your eye and interest :)

Both games came in the mail today! I chose to load GW first, because the scale appeals to me more.

Still reading the manuals, taking a break from that right now. The manuals are a little dry, maybe a lot dry. :P

Both games came in the mail today! I chose to load GW first, because the scale appeals to me more.

Still reading the manuals, taking a break from that right now. The manuals are a little dry, maybe a lot dry. :P

I have not actully read the GC manual, but the WW1 Great war one was actully kinda fun.(the document version on PC at least) I appreciated the way it threw me random tibits of RL information which were kind related to the stuff it was talking about.(like mentioning Gallopoli at the landing ships sections)

Call in for some multplayer when you fell ready EdR, it's aways good to have a new player. :cool: