Scenario with Achilles in it?

CW Buron: Sticking it out should have M10 Achilles instead of regular M10s. It depends on who you read, either the 64th AT had 1 battery of M10s and 1 battery of 17pdr M10s (Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall) or both units were quipped with 17 pdr M10s (In Support of the Canadians - CMH article). Either way, both sources agree the 245th Battery were equipped with 17pdr M10s and it was the 245th Battery which was at Buron.

I know some people were talking about making that map more H2H friendly. Replacing the M10s with Achilles would probably help balance out the immobility of the 17pdrs provided. For Allies vs AI the M10s are pretty good against the AI, and if you really want you can edit the mission manually. For H2H someone needs to release a modified version in the repository.

• 8 months later...
CW Buron: Sticking it out should have M10 Achilles instead of regular M10s. It depends on who you read, either the 64th AT had 1 battery of M10s and 1 battery of 17pdr M10s (Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall) or both units were quipped with 17 pdr M10s (In Support of the Canadians - CMH article). Either way, both sources agree the 245th Battery were equipped with 17pdr M10s and it was the 245th Battery which was at Buron.

I would love to know the source that clarifies the armament of the 245th, please. None of my research ever had that detail.

The main problem with balance is the OBs. From what I can see (HLIoC and 12th SS histories) the attack is eight unsupported Panthers that run blindly into an ambush by the HLIoC and two M10 troops = seven dead Panthers and three dead M10s.

[T]he attack is eight unsupported Panthers that run blindly into an ambush by the HLIoC and two M10 troops = seven dead Panthers and three dead M10s.

Figueres. Seems to me that the HJ Panthers in Normandy generally performed very badly, running pointless attacks that achieved nothing and left many Panthers burning without even getting good exchange rates. I'm working on an OOB file for the 12th SS (including information such as which leader took over command after this or that leader was killed on this or that day) and I think I'm going to give most Company commanders in I.Abteilung negative leadership ratings.

Especially v. Ribbentropp, whose 3rd Company apparently was the worst led considering the famous Panther massacre at Bretteville in early June which rendered the company combat ineffective in a matter of minutes.

All these men had months and years of Ostfront experience, yet in this particular campaign against this particular foe they simply didn't perform well.

Interestingly the 2nd batallion which was "only" equipped with Panzer IVs seems to have performed much better, often performing very good feats against enemy armour.