ATG Deploy Time Bug

About a month ago, whenever this module came out, I asked for confirmation of the HMG deploy bug which one of the beta testers and others did confirm. This was a bug with us since first patch with CMBN original module.

Today, when watching a turn in a PBEM match. I noticed that the US 57mm ATG I had moving from one postion to another and then deploy did not in fact, have any deploy time penalty. They set-up the gun in 1-2 seconds. Obviously, this is the same type of bug.

I would urge any and all beta testers to check the deploy times for all crewed heavy weapons since it seems none of them deploy properly.

If this is known and has already been put on the list, please forgive me for bringing it up. I'm too tired to go looking for it in the forums.

The lack of set-up time in the close ranges of CMBN may be a blessing in disguise in terms of making the gun unit playable in the short time periods of most scenarios.

One of the biggest decisions is usually whether to deploy a mounted gun at all. Cos, if you make an error in position, and/or have that irritating issue of LOS but no LOF, there is very rarely time to redeploy the gun.

Confirmed it. But it's a conditional bug.

I tested with a US 57mm AT gun.

If the gun is just sitting there limbered but not moving and you give it a deploy order it will deploy normally (1.8 minutes). But if you give it a move order, select the end of the movement white ball thingy and give the deploy order there the gun will instantly deploy when it reaches that point.

Further testing shows it is more random than I thought. I have been able to get the gun to instant deploy without moving the gun at all. If I pack it up, let it sit for a few more minutes without moving and then redeploy some members of the crew will be shown deploying and others won't. The first time I did it 2 crew members out of 6 were shown deploying. The second time 4 members. But at long as the gunner isn't one of the deploying crew members the gun can begin firing immediately.

In any case it does not appear to be working correctly.

EDIT: I just tried this with a German 50mm AT gun and the same thing happens.

A question: does the direction of the target in relation to the current facing have any effect on the deploy time?

It's hard to say because I'm not sure when the deploy time starts, or even if they are always listed as deploying. They are never listed as deploying while the gun is being rotated to the firing vector (it's "moving"), but if they don't spend much time doing this they are sometimes listed as "deploying" after the gun is in place. The problem is that typically not the whole crew deploys. For example 4 of them may deploy but the gunner -- the "anti-tank" guy -- will not and can start firing the gun as soon as it's pointing in the right direction.

"why I cannot use deploy command to my mortars or mg's when i ordered them to dismount?"

Not sure why that one can't do that the "normal" way. IIRC dismounting from trucks has this problem, but not from halftracks.

But, if you click on the destination waypoint and select orders you can select "Deploy." So, no biggy.

Distance moved may play a role. There is an assumption that a short move will not require the complete limber/unlimber of a weapon. (Think of an HMG being grabbed by barrel and base. That's good for a short movement, not so much for long distance.) So, that needs to be taken into account when trying to see if the deploy times are correct or not.

Ken

How short is a "short move"? I just plotted at 120 meter move by a US 57mm AT gun, then put a deploy and target order at the end point. On the turn of arrival the gun arrived there at the 45 second mark and fired it's first shot at the 16 second mark (they had to rotate the gun some). None of the crew were ever listed as "deploying".

I noticed this yesterday but was too thankful to complain about it. I accidentally had a 17lber that was in the middle of a duel with 3 Panther's at long range limber itself to move. I was about ready to file it under a loss but decided to have them try to redeploy anyway, and they did so instantaneously and proceeded to knock out the remaining 3 Panthers.

"why I cannot use deploy command to my mortars or mg's when i ordered them to dismount?"

Not sure why that one can't do that the "normal" way. IIRC dismounting from trucks has this problem, but not from halftracks.

But, if you click on the destination waypoint and select orders you can select "Deploy." So, no biggy.

Thanks for suggestion :). I must try this next time.

I just tested a German Pak 40. Started the game deployed, gave it a 320 meter move order with a deploy order and target order at the end. The gun itself arrived at the spot at the :02 second mark (after many turns spend moving) and started rotating to the target vector. It finished rotating and fired its first shot at the :20 second mark of the next turn. The gun is listed as having a 2.2 minute deploy time.

I've sent Phil a PM.

Yep. I ordered a German 81mm mortar team to move 130 meters, gave it a deploy and target order at the end. On the turn of arrival it arrived at the :58 second mark and fired its first round at the :44 second mark. It's listed as having a 46 second deploy time.

It appears the deploy function is broken for all unit types.

• 4 months later...