Proper Spacing of Platoon?

Attack or defense? Depending on the source it was around 100-200 meters on the advance, at least twice that in defense.

My own experience in CMBN is that 200 meters is about the practical limit on the attack in a two up formation. Even then I will sometimes need to send the platoon HQ to one side and the company HQ to the other.

It depends on the terrain and the situation but generaly they should stay in at least visual contact.

Exactly. Teams, squads, platoons, whatever, need to be mutually supporting. They also need to be able to cover the assigned frontage. And they also need to present concentrated firepower at the critical point.

So it comes down to how many troops you have; how they are armed; what the terrain and visibility are; what the assigned mission is; and what the enemy is doing. And believe me, that last one is a biggie.

Michael

A couple of things to ponder:

To limit damage from a barrage, dispersion patterns are as important as spacing. All the spacing won't help if you have your guys in a nice line and the enemy FO can call a line right along the hedge you have all your guys behind.

You have to stagger your squads and teams in a W at the least, and do not always use the most obvious cover on the map there is (because it's also the most obvious place to rain arty down on).

Does anyone know the text book answer for proper safe spacing of a platoon after you split all your squads?To limit damage from an artillery barrage?

Now dont give him too much help, I want to rain arty on him in our game.

So I think you need to tighten them formations up if I were you. :D

It depends on the terrain and the situation but generaly they should stay in at least visual contact.

Heres a nice article about german tactics.

http://www.miniatures.de/tactics-1932-german-infantry.html

Just for information. The article deals with german doctrinal matters pre 1940. Some of that changed (no "pack" style formations nor seperate handling of support & assault sections) due to the Poland campaign experiences in 1939.

Guess the info was derived from a <= 1939 issue Reibert.