2-inch mortar fire

After a few CW-scenarios I have come across a problem with the 2-inch mortar not firing. I try to TARGET (not light) an area or an obvious enemy position, but no mortar rounds (only occasionally) only small arms fire. Do the pixeltroops favour small arms when under fire and only use mortar when "calm"? Why is that, since a mortar round packs more of a punch?

Oops: below should have been a seperate threat, but oh well...

After a few missions I find that CW (or is it 1.10?) puts up a better fight. Enemies are harder to break, they get better cover in foxholes and are harder to take on in woods.

Maybe it is just my imagination, but I haven't changed the way I go about a mission since CMBN vanilla, but now I'm getting my a** handed to me on a plate on a regular basis.

After a few CW-scenarios I have come across a problem with the 2-inch mortar not firing. I try to TARGET (not light) an area or an obvious enemy position, but no mortar rounds (only occasionally) only small arms fire. Do the pixeltroops favour small arms when under fire and only use mortar when "calm"? Why is that, since a mortar round packs more of a punch?

Hmm, only thing I can think of is that although the rest of troops in the squad may have LoS, the actual man carrying the mortar does not. He needs direct LoS. Try using the facing command or change slightly the position.

Hmm, only thing I can think of is that although the rest of troops in the squad may have LoS, the actual man carrying the mortar does not. He needs direct LoS. Try using the facing command or change slightly the position.

It happens, even when facing the right direction and has a blue LOS target.

This sounds like a very common LOS complaint. The standard explanation is that a mortar crewman (or 3rd gun layer, or an HMG ammo bearer) can see the target for using small arms, but the mortar triggerman cannot. Yes, this phenomenon is silly and frustrating.

However, also check that the mortar isn't too close to an obstruction that could obstruct the mortar's actual trajectory. This is quite an impressive feature. In CM2, buildings are not all equal. So, for example you could fire mortars over a church roof, but not over its steeple.

This sounds like a very common LOS complaint. The standard explanation is that a mortar crewman (or 3rd gun layer, or an HMG ammo bearer) can see the target for using small arms, but the mortar triggerman cannot. Yes, this phenomenon is silly and frustrating.

No, it doesn't sound like that.

However, also check that the mortar isn't too close to an obstruction that could obstruct the mortar's actual trajectory. This is quite an impressive feature. In CM2, buildings are not all equal. So, for example you could fire mortars over a church roof, but not over its steeple.

That should not be a problem with a direct lay mortar. The issue there is that just because a spotter has line of sight to a target does not mean that on-map indirect fire unit has line of fire. If the indirect fire unit itself had line of sight to the target, it would almost certainly have line of fire. Also, high trajectory weapons are given some leeway for line of fire for nearby overhead obstructions, like trees

rocketman, your mortar is not currently located in a building or bunker, is it? Can you post a screenshot of the situation where you are encountering this problem?

must be pretty desperate for space then!

Well, after getting a corrupted save a while ago I now save after every turn. Some scenarios saves are 20 MB so it gets big real quick. And I like to keep things neat ;)

But if I come across it again I will post for sure.