How do you deploy a machine gun?

The text in the display for my machine gun says it takes 20 seconds to deploy. The MG has been in its present location for two turns (minutes) now, and its state is still shown as "semi deployed." The MG crew is at full strength and not under fire, though friendly units nearby have been firing.

1. If I click with the cursor on empty terrain near the MG icon to ensure no unit is selected, what is the exact sequence of actions I should take to deploy the MG?

2. How can I be sure that the Deploy command is in effect? Is there any indication on the map that confirms the Deploy command was given?

3. What does "Semi Deployed" mean? I'd expect it to mean "part of the way to being fully deployed", but perhaps it means "being taken apart." With either meaning, the "Semi" state shouldn't last more than a full turn.

"Semi-deployed" is indicated when a MG can be used in the light role off of its tripod. An undeployed MG34 or MG42 is always "semi-deployed". "Semi-deployed" does not indicate an action in progress. The green unit status text will indicate if the unit is currently deploying or packing up the weapon.

Semi-deployed means it's not set up on its tripod. You have to give the Deploy Command to get it set on the tripod.

When you've given the command, the Deploy button will show a slight border ( could be made a bit better, I know ).

Ideally you give a movement order, then click on the endpoint of that order and give the Deploy command - they will move to the destination and deploy on arrival.

Semi-deployed means it's not set up on its tripod. You have to give the Deploy Command to get it set on the tripod.

When you've given the command, the Deploy button will show a slight border ( could be made a bit better, I know ).

Ideally you give a movement order, then click on the endpoint of that order and give the Deploy command - they will move to the destination and deploy on arrival.

Are you saying that I should select the MG unit and then either press the "\" key OR click on the "Deploy" button [but not both]?

On my iMac, either action in my question causes the "Deploy" button to light up. The button always has a black border which doesn't seem to change, so I don't understand that aspect of your post.

I've had no luck ending a move order with a Deploy command. Before my unit gets to a location, I can't tell whether the unit will have a useful line of sight from that location. (I've read claims that, even though the targeting line starts from the starting location of a unit, it actually shows the LOS from the selected waypoint. That has not been my experience.)

2. How can I be sure that the Deploy command is in effect? Is there any indication on the map that confirms the Deploy command was given?

If you look at the "status" of each soldier in that particular MG team (bottom left in green), instead of hiding/moving/aiming, it should say either packing up or setting up.

... I think ... not the most knowledgable player here.

Are you saying that I should select the MG unit and then either press the "\" key OR click on the "Deploy" button [but not both]?

Yes. Select the unit and press the deploy button or its short cut key. If you do both the first one will deploy it and the second one will un-deploy it (if you will allow me to invent a word to emphasize the symmetry).

On my iMac, either action in my question causes the "Deploy" button to light up. The button always has a black border which doesn't seem to change, so I don't understand that aspect of your post.

When it is lit up the unit has been asked to deploy its weapon.

I've had no luck ending a move order with a Deploy command. Before my unit gets to a location, I can't tell whether the unit will have a useful line of sight from that location.

What I do is select the last movement way point and set the facing I want and the press the deploy button.

(I've read claims that, even though the targeting line starts from the starting location of a unit, it actually shows the LOS from the selected waypoint. That has not been my experience.)

I am quite certain that the target LOS *is* being calculated from the selected way point. However that can still be confusing because the dark blue / red indicator of LOS blockage is pretty hard to interpret since it does not follow the LOS from the way point.

Also I think you are seeing one of the problems of the target LOS tool. It is basing its calculation on an assumed height of the observer which may or may not match the height of the guys once they get there (standing, kneeling, prone, riding a vehicle, looking though a gun sight, standing and looking out the top hatch etc. are all different heights). Plus, to have visibility (from the tools point of view) requires that you can see the center of the target action square.

These combine to lead to all kinds of "hard to guess what will happen issues". When you guys get their and lie down they cannot see anything at all. Or when you get there they cannot see the ground at the action square but they can see the tank sitting in the square.

The target LOS tool is really only a guide.