Are the British ranks correct?

And no mention of the household cavalry ranks - Queen Victoria didn't like the word Sergeant, so they got called Corporal of the horse instead, all the way up to Regimental Corporal Major.

I have a feeling they'd have been the light armour and Recce forces. I seem to remember a story of some household Calvary driving an armoured car through the enemy lines, and back again to pick up intel.

And no mention of the household cavalry ranks - Queen Victoria didn't like the word Sergeant, so they got called Corporal of the horse instead, all the way up to Regimental Corporal Major.

I have a feeling they'd have been the light armour and Recce forces. I seem to remember a story of some household Calvary driving an armoured car through the enemy lines, and back again to pick up intel.

Yes. A very posh formation. There was a squadron for Belgian aristocrats and they took at least one bridge by dismounting and attacking at night with knives. Poor jerry! Can you imagine the insult to injury of being swarmed over by a squadron of dismounted Household Cavalry waving knives and hissing in French in the dark?

• 4 weeks later...
Yes. A very posh formation. There was a squadron for Belgian aristocrats and they took at least one bridge by dismounting and attacking at night with knives. Poor jerry! Can you imagine the insult to injury of being swarmed over by a squadron of dismounted Household Cavalry waving knives and hissing in French in the dark?

Great take on the story : )

It's entirely probable that Privates are not put in charge of independent teams, so you would never see them.

Good point. :) I also noticed from the manual that U.S. Army rank of Private is not listed, but they do show up in the game.

Private/Trooper/Gunner/Fusilier/Rifleman/Guardsman etc etc...

A colleague of mine (ex Navy) says that there is no such thing as the Army -there just a collection of regiments. If you ever see them all in uniform, you will see what he means - Uniform they are not! My favourite is officers' mess dress. Army is varied, colourful and stylish, Navy is historic and uniform. RAF is really nothing to look at....:)

Ah, so here's another one I've been looking at: Warrant Officer Class III. According to what I found in my research, this rank was short-lived:

Platoon sergeant major (PSM) was an appointment in the British Army in the short-lived rank of warrant officer class III (WOIII), created in 1938. The platoon sergeant major, and his cavalry counterpart, the troop sergeant major, were part of an experiment in giving experienced NCOs command of units formerly reserved for commissioned officers (platoons and troops). The experiment was not considered a success, and no promotions were made to the rank after 1940: most existing WOIIIs were commissioned as lieutenants.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platoon_Sergeant_Major )

If that's really the case, then why did BF bother depicting it for a game set in 1944? :confused: