New file at the Repository: CW First Clash (2012-03-06)

About the ScenarioThis small scenario recreates a meeting engagement between two very different recce units. It’s based on the premise that Allied forces have broken through the German lines. As a result Allied armoured forces are now spearheading an advance aimed at cutting off our units. At the tip of the spear is a newly formed Polish armoured unit - an opportunity to even the score from 1939. German armoured forces have been ordered to counterattack these Allied armoured columns, with the aim of blocking and containing their advance. As part of this counterthrust German aufklärung elements are now ranging ahead along the advance route of a panzer kampfgruppen, probing for any enemy armoured response. On the other side of the fence their Polish counterparts are doing the same - probing ahead looking for any pockets of resistance or German counterattacks.So it has two differant recce units skirmishing and probing with some heavier follow on units for some heavy duty action. Size and DurationBoth sides have around a reduced company of units and it’s a small map with the time set to 1hr 10m +0-15 minutes variable time This scenario can be played against the AI as either side (there are three AI Plans per side). If you want to play it against different plans you can always open it up in the editor and ‘switch off’ the other AI Plans – that way you’ll know which one you have played against. It’s also suitable for H2H play &ndas...

More...

• 2 weeks later...

I've nearly finished one play through as Allies. As usual an excellent and very life-like map. At first I thought I was doing ok (made a few silly mistakes, but was getting there) but there was a nasty sting in the tail for me (got a bit over confident that I had basically 'won') and it's going to be harder to win now! So basically a very enjoyable scenario. My only thought was (and trying to avoid spoilers) that there was something of a turkey shoot early on which perhaps made it a bit easier for the Allies?

I've nearly finished one play through as Allies. As usual an excellent and very life-like map. At first I thought I was doing ok (made a few silly mistakes, but was getting there) but there was a nasty sting in the tail for me (got a bit over confident that I had basically 'won') and it's going to be harder to win now! So basically a very enjoyable scenario. My only thought was (and trying to avoid spoilers) that there was something of a turkey shoot early on which perhaps made it a bit easier for the Allies?

Cheers for that. Not wanting to spoil it now but when you are done would you mind sending me your comments please? Are you playing H2H or against the AI? I suspect if playing against the AI one of the AI Plans - bold and daring - could result in a lot of burning wrecks ;) But there is a sting as I think you may have found. Good luck! :)

Cheers for that. Not wanting to spoil it now but when you are done would you mind sending me your comments please? Are you playing H2H or against the AI? I suspect if playing against the AI one of the AI Plans - bold and daring - could result in a lot of burning wrecks ;) But there is a sting as I think you may have found. Good luck! :)

George - just finished, got a rather pathetic 'tactical victory' Vs the AI. Yes, it was the sting that did for me! Up until that point I had been doing reasonably well, but got over confident and paid the price. A really enjoyable scenario. Just the size of force I like, and with plenty to keep me thinking. Thanks.

George - just finished, got a rather pathetic 'tactical victory' Vs the AI. Yes, it was the sting that did for me! Up until that point I had been doing reasonably well, but got over confident and paid the price. A really enjoyable scenario. Just the size of force I like, and with plenty to keep me thinking. Thanks.

Glad ya enjoyed it :)

What I rather like about creating AI Plans is that even playing against the AI in some small way you are playing against me. The AI Plans I create are based on plans of attack/defence that I would use myseld. Granted you don't have any reactivity (is that even a word?!) but you can gauge the general intent.

Many thanks for the comments - much appreciated :)

Played as the allies and I thought this very atmospheric and immersive. An excellent map and subject matter. You really have to think about your tactics, very well done.

Cool :) That's what I was aiming for so glad you enjoyed it. Cheers for taking the time to post your comments.

Cheery!

George

• 6 months later...

I gave it a four stars.

Map is beautifully done and looks like a real world counterpart due to so much detail going in it. Really amazing! Bravo. I wished every map maker would have your map-creating skills and this special touch for visual enjoyment you posses.

What I didn't like that much is how the AI Germany performed against me (was playing the Allied Polish side).

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

Don't know which AI plan triggered for me but clumping so many recce enemy AV's next to the bridges does not look realistic! Now if you would spread those vehicles more then that would be way more immersive and not look so game-breaking. Having just AV's at the bridges without the infantry support is not a way to go. Turkey shoot. I suggest loading those halftracks with infantry and unloading them near the bridges would come a far way.

What I did was I've sent all my starting tanks on the eastern-most bridge immediately and prevented a German AF column from reaching the bridge first. I crossed it and ran into the enemy who was trying to reach it's bridge objective. I annihilated the column who did not stop and reverse but continued headlessly into their death. Probably not your AI plan issue but a game AI issue on show here right?

I continued with my tanks up that road and bumped into the enemy tanks who I all picked of with only some casualties on my side. I continued along the ridge and turkey shot all the bunched AV's at the bridges objective from behind. Was an easy job - to easy actually and it ruined my immersion.

Then I sent my motorised infantry forward and by the time the main enemy thrust came I had my infantry and my main tank force that came later ready on the ridge overlooking the expected enemy approach.

Another thing that bothered me was how narrow approach the main enemy armoured attack had - it was a turkey shot for my guns. Again it's not realistic by my opinion that so many tanks would be clumped on such a narrow passage while there is plenty of room for approach. I'm sure this scenario can be improved to excellence by applying better AI plans.

Maybe I screwed your scenario design by rushing forward and then attacking from behind before the main enemy attack came?

Hi Hister

Thanks for the feedback. I think your comments possibly highlight a couple of aspects of designing AI Plans for attacking sides.

One is the AI will continue to follow it's plan regardless of what danger is ahead. In this case the column will just keep right on marching into your guns. Hence the frequent call for 'triggers'. The bunching up is a side effect of this following the AI Plan.

I also suspect if you are quick of the mark and aggressive you can outfox the AI very easily. Which means latter in the scenario you may well have a very easy time - again the AI will follow it's plan and not adapt due to the situation.

This is one scenario that I think works out better playing H2H as there is far more cat and mouse - and I do mention this a H2H.

Any ways I much appreciate the feedback and I'll keep an eye on this. Might be with the forthcoming option of more AI groups that I can fine tune what the AI does?

Thanks for the comments about the map - glad ya liked it.

Cheery! :)

Well thank you for creating it!

So that's how AI works - ugh. Pretty lame, hope those much needed triggers come rather sooner then later. Would be interesting to see if you manage to improve on it.

I can imagine would be very interesting indeed! I haven't played H2H yet - hope I'll come to it eventually aka find someone ready to give it a go.