The Merchant Ship tiles & Raiding

I get that Convoy thing in that you put a Raider on it or next to it and you can reduce the MPPs on the Convoy. I am pretty sure that is how that works.

My question is the Merchant Ships. If you put a Raider on them, that affects the operating efficiency of the Port and not the MPPs? Is that correct?

And can a Raider be next to them to do this, or do you have to be on them?

Also, on Convoys. If a Port is at 80% and you shipping in 40MPPs, does that mean you only get 32 MPPs?

Just a little confused on the whole raiding and Port thing.

Hello UFC Addict ^^ ,

I'm also trying to get a clear idea about that.

I managed to raid two ports (Quebec & London) putting subs on merchant tiles. It lowers the supply level of ports (saw London port 10 drop to 9) but I'm not sure about MPP either.

Not sure what happens when you raid a tile that is both active convoy (red lane) and merchant tile. Is it a cumulative effect ? One or the other ?

Never was able to fully occupy all merchant tiles of a port to see what happens (sorry I'm at beginner level, can't go below :D ).

Also, I never managed to raid a merchant tile with surface raiders (I put german cruisers on the tiles but nothing happens in several turns). Maybe I was unlucky since they're less effective than subs ?

The strange part being the kriegsmarine message advising you to send "surface" raiders to raid those tiles. I think someone screwed up with Enigma in Kiel :eek: .

Anyway it's fun to sea-hunt so I'll try another side game with fog lifted, it should be better to see what's going on :rolleyes: .

My question is the Merchant Ships. If you put a Raider on them, that affects the operating efficiency of the Port and not the MPPs? Is that correct?

Hi

Yes, that is generally the case, but I recall that there might be one or two exceptions to this, like at Nauru in the Pacific where income from the mines may also be affected.

And can a Raider be next to them to do this, or do you have to be on them?

You will need to have the Raider on the tile marked with the raiding icon.

Also, on Convoys. If a Port is at 80% and you shipping in 40MPPs, does that mean you only get 32 MPPs?

The convoy will operate at full effect unless the Port drops below strength 5. Then there will be no income.

Not sure what happens when you raid a tile that is both active convoy (red lane) and merchant tile. Is it a cumulative effect ? One or the other ?

Hi

Yes, it should be cumulative as the MPPs provided by the convoy route should be reduced by the raider, providing it is set to Raider mode, while it will also reduce the strength of the port.

Also, I never managed to raid a merchant tile with surface raiders (I put german cruisers on the tiles but nothing happens in several turns). Maybe I was unlucky since they're less effective than subs ?

Not if you're placing units on the tiles marked with merchant ship icons, providing you're at war with the country they belong to then there should be some effect, especially if they are there for several turns.

Sometimes the effect on port strength will be very minor, and as ports repair at 1 point at the start of every friendly turn, it may take a few turns to notice much difference. But if you see a problem when you try it without fog of war, be sure to let us know and we'll get it fixed. :)

Hello Peterk ^^ ,

Yep, tried with raider mode on but for surface raiders it only works for convoy tiles (red lanes or adjacent tiles).

Thanks for the answers Bill101,

- So I went all out on raiding with german and japanese fleets:

(SCgold, World at war 1939, beginner level, Fog of war off)

- Subs work fine on lanes tiles and everything, it's a killing. They reduce MPPs and supply in England without problem but my cruisers didn't hit once (I know they can't raid and fight the same turn, they only fought one turn).

German fleet (subs and cruisers) around England:

view.php?img=19022115london-tile-raid-1.jpg

view.php?img=19022115london-tile-raid-2.jpg

view.php?img=19022116london-tile-raid-3.jpg

view.php?img=19022117london-tile-raid-4.jpg

German fleet (cruisers) raiding Quebec: not a single hit or supply damage

view.php?img=19022119tile-raider.jpg

Other screens next post.

Following previous post:

- Surface raiders (DD, CA, BB, CV) didn't get a single hit on merchant tiles except those on or adjacent to convoy lanes.

Japanese fleet (everything afloat :D) raiding Australia:

view.php?img=19022109australia-raid.jpg

view.php?img=19022111australia-raid-2.jpg

Japanese fleet (battleships) raiding Nauru: just sitting there, doing nothing -_-'

view.php?img=19022113nauru-tile-raid-1.jpg

view.php?img=19022114nauru-tile-raid-2.jpg

So I don't know... Did someone managed to do it ?

Hi

I'm glad it worked, and when you have naval units on the Raiding icons, you don't need to set to Raider mode. The naval unit's location will tell the engine that you are there and it should raid automatically.

The Raider mode is only needed if you are on a convoy land and want to raid it.

Generally the Raiding icons are adjacent to enemy ports so there's no need to keep your presence from the enemy - they'll see you anyway, so there's nothing to be gained by not raiding. Hence there's no need to be in Raider Mode on those icons.

I hope that makes sense! :)

Bill

Yes, makes sense, thanks for the input Bill :) .

I'll go back to 1939 campaign and work on those merchant tiles again, I'll see if there is any difference between tiles adjacent to ports and farther tiles (like the Quebec ones).

A shame I can't use my current axis PBEM game since UFC Addict made a quick work of my surface raiders (Gneisnau sunk, Scharnorst sunk, Graf von Spee fleeing like crazy) :D .