those bugs/irrealistic things which ruin CMBN...

2) i have a mortar setup, and in comm with Plt HQ/radio. the Plt HQ can see the target..and am using small arms on the target... but when i attempt to call for indirect, i get a "No LOS" message!? why?

3) why when an 81mm is down to 1 smoke round won't it fire? or if its because its a smoke round, why not allow the call for a smoke round?

2) indirect must go via the artillery interface. It's not like CMBO, if that is what you are used to.

3) that is a known bug.

1) just the way things are. You can plot a waypoint using any other unit and check LOS from it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Wreck...

but staying with the Indirect question... if the unit observing can see the target....and is in radio contact with the indirect unit, why when attempting to call in indirect does the target now not have a LOS to the unit that CAN spot it to fire directly?

apologies for being dense if its obvious... please try again :)

Am I even in the same universe of this thread when I ask the following question: Is this guy just asking for something other than the ability to modify not just the textures but some of the base code? Furthermore, was the modding allowed with Close Combat what did it in?

(Although in my case it actually worked out because I bought each title almost twice over due solely to the re-playability the mods brought.)

Extensive modding works if the game is created with it in mind. See for example the Total War series, Mount and Blade, Operation Flashpoint/ArmA. All of these let you easily switch from one mod to another or back to vanilla.

Valve pretty much made their fortune by embracing the mod scene of Half-Life. People would buy the game just so they could play Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat.

In otherwords, let Battlefront work on the coding and perceived errors while modders take what will become the vanilla game and modify it to seperate theatres? The missions themselves are essentially small scale versions of this method. The company makes the components required to play the battle, and the game master adjusts the parameters. (sorry to sound like a broken record,) just like close combat.

I think I've just convinced myself this game should be moddable, at least insomuch as CC was.

It is, after all, just an evolution of the board game. Battlefront has essentially created the rules and the playing pieces and we can pick the theater.

----------

Short of a great argument against this, IMverrrrryHO I believe this could be the future. (I am sure we are all aware of the perceived financial incentives, at least initially, so I guess their mention would only be redundant at this point)

The problem is then it wouldn't be compatible. The only thing you can mod now are missions and things which in no way affect the gameplay. If you've played (tried to) ArmA2 online it's an absolute nightmare. There are literally thousands of mods, and you need exactly the combination the server has in order to play, not to mention that at least with a server you play on regularly you can have a startup profile for it.

I was really disappointed with the lack of mod support at first but the more I think about it the more I believe BF made the right decision.