I'm new to these sc-games, but I have tried the demos: 'sc: global conflict gold' and 'sc: world war 1'. And I liked most of what the games offers.

Usually I like ww2 games best, but because there is more space in the WW1 game to think of strategic moves, I'll probably choose that one, but:

I have also read that sc3 is comming out soon, so is there any good reason to invest in an 'aging' game?

The WWI release does include a bonus WWII European Theater campaign using the large map and it seems to be quite popular so far. Of course it is only the European Theater and if you would like to play the whole world then Global GOLD would be the way to go.

In terms of SC3, this is something we'll be working on but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. For example, the last time we came out with a brand new version of the SC series it was as a result of 2 years of work... but of course we hope it won't take quite that long this time around as we have a few more people on board for the development.

Happy gaming :)

Hubert

The games are good; they have a feeling of the old board games 'gunsI of ancestors or The Third Riech'. AI play is enjoyable but p v p is where the game really shines. PBEM games can be long however; one hour per turn with with games lasting 50-100 turns is realistic.realistic

I've noticed the default campaigns run a little faster, turns are 30 mins. The more complex mods like Nupremals are very good, but with many more units and areas to maneuver, IR has got it right.

Turns go fast in the beginning, but as all of the belligerents come in, the fun almost becomes laborious, especially mirrors.

It's funny, turns for me take an average of just 5-10 minutes. I guess we're all different, and maybe in competitive play some spend more time planning than others. I tend to assess the situation pretty quickly and then just starting moving and attacking. Admittedly later in the war it will take longer, but I would say 15 minutes per turn is my max. Though I don't generally watch the video so that will of course save time!

Thanks for the advises - Now I have bought the game (ww1) and so far it is fun, although I do not know what I should think about no in-game-music. I've never tried that before.

But otherwise I really like the casual feel that the game has and the large maps.

I, however, could miss some strategic thinking about the oil, steel, etc. and the possibility to profit of mass attacks.

I'm sure script events could be deployed with reference to particularly key strategic resources. For example in a WW2 scenario starting around 1944-45 periodic events could sap the readiness of Axis troops unless they secure oil supplies. I've no idea how easy or difficult scripting this sort of thing is, though I can't imagine it would be too tough.

Buy. Even tho it's a WWI, the engine works for WWII also. The developers also created a map of WWII called SOE. There is also a couple of WWII campaigns made by users. Nupremal's world, SOE mod, Honch's mod, Calm before the storm. So ya my advice would be to buy it because it's a great world war strategy game.

Thanks for the advises - Now I have bought the game (ww1) and so far it is fun, although I do not know what I should think about no in-game-music. I've never tried that before.

I just shut down the games in sound, also the music in the menu, and play any music i like, sometime i listen to podcasts. I really preefer to listen to other music during these kind of game, cause the in game sounds and music get into my nerves, i spend a day playing, any game like civilization or SCTGW, so i rather preefer to shut down these musics and play something else. So for me the no in game music is more like a bonus then a bad point. :)