Jeeps/Halftracks with weapons?

I'm a bit confused about how to use the weaponry on Jeeps and some halftracks?

Do you have to dismount and acquire the weapons to use them? For example, a Jeep with a MTR, you appear to have dismount to use. And you have to acquire the ammo, but I guess the MTR comes along with the dismount?

However, a Jeep w/MMG... I dismounted but no MMG came with... There were many types of ammo, but I had no idea what was for the MMG and what to acquire? In this case, can you fire the MMG for the Jeep w/out dismount?

What about Halftracks with MG's or MTRs? How can you tell when they are meant to be used by infantry once offloaded? OR used as onboard weaponry? Do you need a mounted squad to acquire them for use? Or can the dismounting crew use them? Do you only acquire ammo and the weaponry comes with the dismount automatically?

I know... Lots of jumbled questions... perhaps someone can just come up with the succint yet comprehensive explanation of the mechanics of this.

Thanks!

Javaslinger

Yeah it can be a bit confusing. With regards to the mortar ht's - they were too problematic to code into the game, so BFC have given you a standard HT with a 81mm mortar crew assisgned to it to reflect the onboard mortar. They've also given you mortar ammo bearers with plenty of rounds. But to use this mortar you have to dismount the crew, and deploy the mortar as per usual. It's a bit of a fudge but it works. You can identify these by the name of the units - '81mm mortar' etc etc.

As for the MMG jeeps etc, the MMG's are fixed in the jeep, so the gun cant be dismounted but the crews onboard can. This is quite a cool feature. You may lose a driver or gunner to small arms for instance, and need a replacement. You can get a crew from another vehicle, or you can just get a a few men to jump in and take control. Providing the jeep has a qualified driver then the other passengers will act as the gunner. Also, the other passengers will fire their small arms independently. So if you have a BAR onboard you've got some half decent fire power on a mobile platform. (I think a BAR can fire from a jeep, but haven't seen it myself yet).

Mounted weapons are never detachable. Any passenger unit can fire them. This is a good use small teams you have no better use for -- scout or AT teams, crews from killed vehicles, XO units, etc.

The ammo that you find in various infantry carriers can be acquired by its crew or passengers. To know what type to acquire you have to look at the weapons the infantrymen have, and then know what caliber they require. For example M1 Garands take ".30cal M2" ammunition.

• 2 months later...

A related question .... :)

In a German half-track, the mounted MG42 is consuming ammo. I can see the counter going down as the gunner fires.

It's getting really low, so I select the vehicle and click on 'acquire' to makes sure more ammo is available to the gunner of the mounted MG42.

When I do that, it deducts the 7.92mm amount from the 'acquire' screen, but adds it to the left side of the display, under where there's currently the 9mm ammo display showing? It doesn't seem to increase the amount shown for the vehicle MG42 as it fires?

What am I misunderstanding? :confused:

Regards,

Doug

BadgerDog. You are trying to manually force something that happens automatically. When the gun runs out of rounds on the gun (the figure shown as rounds for the gun), the gunner will automatically reload from the vehicle stock. By assigning ammo to the crew, it goes in there with their personal weapons and ammo, not the vehicle's ammo.

In short, leave it alone. The gunner will sort it out himself.

In short, leave it alone. The gunner will sort it out himself.

So, just so I'm clear .... because I acquired the ammo while clicked on the vehicle itself, now my driver has a ton of 7.92 sitting on his lap which he can't either put back in the vehicle stores or pass it back to the MG42 gunner? :D

Regards,

Doug

Follow up ... :)

If I dismount the driver and he runs to an infantry based MG42 with his 1500 rounds of 7.92 belted ammo, that apparently are now useless inside the carrier, can he re-supply that MG team with his ammo?

Thanks ...

Regards,

Doug

Ammo sharing happens amongst units under a single HQ (usually platoon). Do the driver and the MG team share the same HQ? If so, then he should share the ammunition with the MG team as long as he is nearby.

Ammo sharing happens amongst units under a single HQ (usually platoon). Do the driver and the MG team share the same HQ? If so, then he should share the ammunition with the MG team as long as he is nearby.

Not sure, but I'll check ..thanks .. :)

The empty carrier is useless without it's gun platform and the driver of the carrier sitting with 1500 rounds of belted ammo on his lap he can't return to the carrier stores, or give to the gunner, is also useless, so I might as well "blow" the carrier and carry the ammo to the nearest MG42 team and see what happens.

Pretty kludgey ... :D

Regards,

Doug