Hiding in/behind forest

Given the following situation whats better in your opnion:

Infantry, flat grass, the enemy is entrenched. Between you and him is a line of thick forest one AS deep. The goal is to watch the enemy and hold the line.

Is it better to go into the forest and get better cover and concealment from the brushes OR stay in the AS behind the forest tile on plain grass?

Bonus question: everything is the same but now the forest is two AS deep. Stay on the grass or go onto the 'inner' forest AS?

If the mission is to watch, I'd go into the forest immediately to get better concealment for my hiding/watching spot. You want to grab that good recon spot before the enemy does, otherwise he'll be the hidden one and your unit will be a sitting duck in the open. But you also have to be prepared for the possibility that the enemy has occupied the forest before you -- so use "hunt" and "slow" and take pauses and creep in there carefully to avoid ambush. Use a short (15m?) circular covered arc within the forest so that your watching unit doesn't give itself away with unnecessary shooting.

I'm not qualified to answer, but I would stay behind if its a human opponent. Actually I've never played a human, but even though the AI really sucks at using arty successfully, those free airbursts really hurt. In the trees would be the obvious place to set up and hopefully staying behind is enough to break up his line of sight so he can't spot arty on you successfully from afar as well as mitigate his ability to concentrate firepower on your guys. Maybe hide a bazooka/shrek team or two in there.

Dunno about 2 tiles. With one its so little that you can see and shoot through it very well. I don't know about 2

I don't think the trees themselves provide anything like a "cloud" of concealment like they did in CMx1, so any LOS obscuration by the trees will work both ways, though you can set up sort of a keyhole LOS to your own advantage.

The best concealment will for sure be IN the brush tiles, but Like PLM says, a human oppo will give any isolated woods tiles some HE lovin.