where am i?

Could be so many places. There are no significant landscape feature to give a hint. No churches, only scattered villages, a flooded area or two, with a small hill between, no roads, just dirt roads.

I would tend to give an answer like JonS and why not, say that it might also look like swampy grounds laying on the South East of Carentan. That is on the right of the road while leaving Carentan and driving toward Sainteny toward Periers.

Well that is a one million dollars question, what to say about the answer.

Nice map for sure.

Remaining

best answer yet - one more hint: Götz von Berlichingen

That's it the 17th SS PZ. :D

They fought with Von Der Heyte paratroops, trying to retake Carentan. They almost did it (recalls my father told me about, that they got orders to be ready to fall back from Carentan, if things were getting worse) coming at one moment as far as, for the spear unit, the rail crossing near the railroad station. Then they were unable to exploit that and retreated.

Their axis of attack was along the road coming from Periers, Sainteny and for some Stugs along the road, on its right coming from Tribehou (rather a causeway at the time) through swampy and flooded area.

When they retreated, step by step, their axis was toward Saint Lo passing by the Champs de Losques.

The units involved in the attack were not despite being SS top rated and they fought with less will than the paratroops that had just retreated from Carentan having no more ammos.

Once resupply by the 17th SS they assaulted Carentan once more with them.

One thing not well known, JU 52’s coming from the Britanny and farther south were re supplying in the first days of the carentan battle the german paratroops. Their drop zone was at Raids, the village just after Sainteny and before Periers.

Their drops were unopposed by the allied fighters.

If I write that it is to remind to some that thought that the allied had a total air supremacy, that at that time air transports were able to do that at low altitude and close to the beaching areas. That was no more the case in the later days.

BTW the small hillock could be Graignes Mesnil Angot village. Us paratroops were engaged in fierce fights around the 6th June and got surrendered there, before some of them escaped in the swamps. Their presence there was that they had to destroy on the first night of the invasion a radar station being not that far. That done, Graignes being on a hillock and offering a perfect view on Carentan was thought to be a good spot to observe and to defend, since the swamps in front provided a good protection; That was not the same for the german attack that took place from the saint Lo direction, on firm grounds. I have pictures about the place and showing the monument at the memory of the 30 or so guys that gave their life defending that place. Not many people are referring to that battle.

If someone knows more about it, I take it.

Definitely a long par 5 with a dogleg in the middle. Sand traps all down one side and the lake on the other. Bring lots of balls.

Michael

A bucket of balls should do it. Don't forget to bring along a golden retriever, it might save your day. Balls are awfully expensive now days. The crisis hits golfer as surely as a 30 cal bullet in an open field ! :D :D

• 3 months later...

i started this map long ago but i do not have time nor interest to finish it. elevations are done - hedgrows and foliage are almost done. (maybe you have to play around with high and low bocage plus the fields need gaps)

my biggest problem are the farms and houses - i put placeholders on the map but i am not creative enough to get them right.

so i put this map up for adoption!

here are some screenshots of the last version of the map

graignes15s17k.jpg

graignes21521p.jpg

graignes3qq4j0.jpg

here is the map for download:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66690360/graignesunfinished.btt

here are some airial photos from 1947:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66690360/graignesairial.zip