ToW3 WW2

Tartari

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going still well. But I've been trying to make the mission generator working for the new armies, without success.

In order to make a unit to work in another Tow game, it's necessary to extract all the files with the SFS extractor and then update them if necessary. You need to make a filelist for the extractor tool, using ProcMon when the game is playing. For ToW1 and ToW2 Afrika, the filelists do exist but they are not complete.

Sorry, I can't explain better than that because of my very poor english, but wait a little more and you'll be able to download all the files.

It's going still well. But I've been trying to make the mission generator working for the new armies, without success.

In order to make a unit to work in another Tow game, it's necessary to extract all the files with the SFS extractor and then update them if necessary. You need to make a filelist for the extractor tool, using ProcMon when the game is playing. For ToW1 and ToW2 Afrika, the filelists do exist but they are not complete.

Sorry, I can't explain better than that because of my very poor english, but wait a little more and you'll be able to download all the files.

ProcMon - it Process Monitor? Please teach me to work with this program ! You can do it in French in a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This sounds like a really exciting project.

I have taken a big break from TOW for the last year or so, after having played it almost daily, however I am now back. (I got into Red Orchestra and did a realism mod that no one seems to want to play lol, it showed me that you need a game with a respectable AI otherwise you can sit on an empty game server all night and never get to play your game no matter how good it is)

TOW3 looks great with the strat layer, I always said that that was what was needed so that it was like the last versions of the Close Command games, with endless possibilities. Then I thought to myself this game would be great if TOW 1 and 2 etc could be made like this and then I discovered this thread where exactly that was being done.

I am willing to be a game tester too if you need one, I helped game test some of Gnashers and Arzoks work the year before last. (Bulldog and De Gualle mods)

Cheers

Alan

hi Allan,

I have already converted these ToW games to ToW3 (all units, statics and maps):

-ToW2 Afrika & Centauro addon

-ToW2 Kursk & Caen addon

I'm currently making some very simple missions to help testing. I will give a link in this thread for downloading this beta-pack, soon I hope. We 'll need in the future mission makers, map makers, and skins painters.

@TheLotusEater :

thank you for the kind words, ToW is a great game and did'nt unfortunately had the success and the community it deserved!

@JohnW :

yes, in ToW3, Germany, UK and Italy can be added very easily because a lot of data, gui, sounds files are already in. Regarding France and Poland, it's possible but more tricky and time-consuming.

• 3 weeks later...

well, it takes more time than I thought and i've found some problems i had to fix... but really, it's nearing completion, at least for the Afrika & Centauro/ Kursk & Caen part. Regarding ToW1 transfering, there's still work to do. Lastly, regarding my Soundmod it's done since years.

Gnasher,

never had forgotten the Airborne campaign. When this work will be done, i'll resume the making of the maps i had begun for previous versions of ToW (La Fière, Chef-du-Pont, Neuville-au-Plain ec.). A "strategic" version of the campaign will be nice too...

yes, it does work perfectly, but I still needed to find and extract several still missing statics.

Now, that will be my top priority, so that Gnasher will be able to work, I will release it asap with some ToW1 maps.

BTW, i still strive to figure out a way to use ToW1 tree system in ToW3, but it seems impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

This week i will release the ToW1 statics mod with some ToW1 maps. I hope that before the end of the month, the ToW2 part (Afrika/Centauro/Kursk/Caen) will be available for testing. I need to find the reason of game freezing that happens sometime.

We're awaiting your mod with great anticipation, Tartari. Don't let the forum silence deceive you. :)

My ToW3 installation file is on stand-by, awaiting the release of your work.

P.S.

I don't understand 1C's ToW politics at all. They've made a great game, but they left it completely without care. I was expecting a patch for ToW3 fixing some issues, like path finding after quickloads, but they just don't seem to care about their best tactical game. Amazing. :eek:

What's worse, they seem to have decided to discontinue the series!!!

I want to second lemonade's comment. I check this forum twice a week to see if there are any updates on Tartari's project. I think the TOW series has the potential to be the best tactical sandbox for the PC. I appreciate Tartari's dedication to TOW and applaud his efforts.

I never understood 1C's business model regarding TOW. They treated the series like any other RTS game. They never understood the grog wargame community or market. Of course, they may have decided catering to the grog wargame market is not profitable.

I never thought TOW received the interest it deserved even from hardcore gamers. We have to be thankfull that people like Tartari devote so much time and effort into keeping the game alive and moving forward.