.rar files

The game doesn't read zip files, since they are just a compression thingy for IT transport. Exrtract the "real" files with a utility, like General Lee said. I noticed that I can just rename the extension to "zip"...that is, change "Mod.rar" to "Mod.zip" and then use the Winzip utility. Either I'm a magician and all powerful, in which case I hereby command "Make armored covered arcs appear in CMBN" and "Give us flamethrowers and light AAA for use against ground targets" or, it's just possible that these extensions are that easy to change, at least between zip and rar. (I think the latter is a Winzip product.)

I'm off to fire up the game to see if I am all-powerful or not.

.Zip and .Rar are two different formats. At least in name, they basically do the same thing. They are used by, respectively, the applications 'Winzip' and 'Winrar.'

AFAIK Winrar is a little more efficient when it comes to compressing data (i.e. you end up with smaller files). Furthermore, what makes Winrar a better choice is that it can also handle .Zip and .7z (see below) files, whereas Winzip (still, apparantly?) cannot handle .Rar files.

Another possible, and lesser known, app for extracting and compressing data is '7zip' (extension .7z). Its compression factor is significantly better than Winrar, and I believe it also handles Zip and Rar files, but I'm not sure. So far I don't think any of our modders use this app.

Hope this helps!

Juju

I'm off to fire up the game to see if I am all-powerful or not.

Nice going on the file extensions there, mjkerner, I wouldn't have thought that would work. Please do keep us posted on your possible all-powerfulness, as I have a longish wish list in case you are. :D

Nice going on the file extensions there, mjkerner, I wouldn't have thought that would work. Please do keep us posted on your possible all-powerfulness, as I have a longish wish list in case you are. :D

Newer versions of WinZip support .rar files (not sure when support was added). On my Win 7 and Vista boxes WinZip is associated with .rar files and opens them just fine without changing the file extension. In mjkerner's case he must have a version of WinZip that handles .rar files but does not have WinZip associated with .rar files. Koodos to WinZip for actually looking at the file contents rather than just the extension to figure out how to unpack it.

This post is not meant to challenge mjkerner's "all powerful" status. I am much to small a fry to be challenging anyone who is "all powerful" :)