"smart" pause

It's in a different place from TOW2 - thanks. I just a got red mist after all the game pauses and looked where I would expect to find it and it wasn't there.

Still, it's a rubbish feature which add nothing to the game.

Perhaps there are people who play this game with a lot of pauses in order to view what each unit is facing and take some time to evaluate each new threat. I really don't hear from people who say they like the Smart Pause, but perhaps that's because it is set exactly the way they like it.

To me I'd prefer this feature to be turned off by default. I am glad that TOW Kursk is easier to remedy however.

Perhaps, but discovering that Ivan Ivanovich now has a sore toe doesn't really help assess the threat from opposing forces.

I've made my point and perhaps the best route would be, as you suggest, to disable by default, just to allow for the (largely theoretcial) possibility that someone somewhere thinks that smart pause actually enhances the game.

or perhaps a miniscrean with a flash.. Iknow many folks ar eon 22 24 28 or larger so a corner of the screen for this type of thing would be helpful.. or jus tlet us do multiscrean, I am always splitting up my troops and having to jump from area to area.. anyway, multi view splits would be an interesting feature.. more than one focus at a time

Smart pause would be a great feature if we could select the units we wish to monitor, and pause over them when they start taking damage. Great for recon. The user turning the unit off when they are fully committed to battle or incapacitated and no longer need to be watched.

(I am sure this feature of unit watching would be possible with scripting anyways. )

I think the smartpause would have been a great feature if the camera would go back to the previous position after zooming in on casualty.

- that is my immediate response after just trying the demo (I'm not really familiar with the ToW series). After briefly attempting a mission I found the death clips interesting & potentially useful but troublesome becos of the forced camera position change.

I would imagine the feature would be cool for watching a replay as the brief cinematics do show what the engine is capable of & adds to the 'entertainment' value.

Failing integration with a full 'replay movie' capability, the suggested mini-screen view would be a useful alternative.

I think the smartpause would have been a great feature if the camera would go back to the previous position after zooming in on casualty.

I totally agree with that. What makes smartpause troublesome is the fact that we have to move back the camera to its previous position each time someone dies. This would never have been a problem if the camera would go back automatically to it's original position after showing where the loss occured.

An other feature that would be nice in my opinion, is the possibilty to move the camera simply by double clicking on a spot on the ground the focus the view toward the spot selected.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this thread is considered too old for new contributions. . . .

I am fairly certain I saw recently in this forum instructions on modifying the behavior of the Smart Pause feature by editing an XML file, but I cannot now find these anywhere, and a forum search on 'XML' returns no results. I have not found a file in the demo game folders that appears to be the correct one. Was I hallucinating, or do such instructions exist? :confused: