Reactive Armor for Strykers in 2010:

Supposedly, we're done with patroling and out of the cities by June, concentrating on training Iraqis until 2011 then we're outa there! ERA Stryker package may be a case of closing the barn door after the horse has left.

As was stated earlier, there is Afghanistan and one thing not necessarily widely publicized is the Stryker BDE's are hot commodities in theater. The Brigades are highly mobile and very responsive, so much so that they are often task organized to less mobile units for a quick reaction force. Again, this is nothing new or secret, because from the beginning it was their design and purpose to get around quickly and put maximum boots on the ground the fastest. The newer emphasis is Afghanistan and the terrain is much more suitable for the vehicle and it's dismounts. So, a natural path of progression would be to continue to modify the survivabilty and lethality of a proven system. 5-2 SBCT is slotted to leave for Afghanistan soon and I think you will see a transition of full migration to Afghanistan. It has also come up within Army circles that DA is considering expanding it's current 6 Active Duty and 1 National Guard SBCT's to additional BDE's, based on the vehicles popularity ad versatility.

EFP's are Explosive Formed Penetrators, very simple and very nasty.

Matt

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As was stated earlier, there is Afghanistan and one thing not necessarily widely publicized is the Stryker BDE's are hot commodities in theater. The Brigades are highly mobile and very responsive, so much so that they are often task organized to less mobile units for a quick reaction force. Again, this is nothing new or secret, because from the beginning it was their design and purpose to get around quickly and put maximum boots on the ground the fastest. The newer emphasis is Afghanistan and the terrain is much more suitable for the vehicle and it's dismounts. So, a natural path of progression would be to continue to modify the survivabilty and lethality of a proven system. 5-2 SBCT is slotted to leave for Afghanistan soon and I think you will see a transition of full migration to Afghanistan. It has also come up within Army circles that DA is considering expanding it's current 6 Active Duty and 1 National Guard SBCT's to additional BDE's, based on the vehicles popularity ad versatility.

EFP's are Explosive Formed Penetrators, very simple and very nasty.

Matt

Thanks Matt. slug88's link is quite nasty. Something so simple & so deadly.

SBCT= Stryker Brigade Combat Teams, IBCT(Light/ABN/AAS)=Infantry Brigade Comabt Team and last but not least HBCT(Mech/Armored)=Heavy Brigade Combat Team

Also see this link, explains the sub units within each BDE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigade_Combat_Team

The Army has adopted a system the Marines started a long time ago, Brigade Combat teams. Each BDE is a mostly self supporting entity once in theater that still falls under Division control, but can now be deployed without the logisitical tails of a Division or higher headquarters.

Matt

Yes, 5-2 is the 5th BDE, 2 ID.

SBCT= Stryker Brigade Combat Teams, IBCT(Light/ABN/AAS)=Infantry Brigade Comabt Team and last but not least HBCT(Mech/Armored)=Heavy Brigade Combat Team

Also see this link, explains the sub units within each BDE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigade_Combat_Team

The Army has adopted a system the Marines started a long time ago, Brigade Combat teams. Each BDE is a mostly self supporting entity once in theater that still falls under Division control, but can now be deployed without the logisitical tails of a Division or higher headquarters.

Yep, I get all that :)

It's this bit ...

Yes, 5-2 is the 5th BDE, 2 ID.

... I was asking about.

How does that system ( {BDE #}-{DIV #} BDE ) work to differentiate between bdes from 1 CAV DIV and 1 INF DIV and 1 ARMD DIV?

Yep, I get all that :)

It's this bit ...

... I was asking about.

How does that system ( {BDE #}-{DIV #} BDE ) work to differentiate between bdes from 1 CAV DIV and 1 INF DIV and 1 ARMD DIV?

To be honest, Division really has no control any more. 2nd Infantry Division is a good example. We have a Brigade in S. Korea and two BDE's at Fort Lewis. They really have nothing to do with each other. As StrykerPSG said, a BDE is self sustaining in combat, so the Division echelon really doesnt have a whole lot to do with it.

This, of course, doesnt have the same effect in all Army units. Some units are organized to where all of their BDE's have the same mission and same location.

Am I speaking Russian?

Try this: What division is 1-1 BDE from?

LOL, Jon, I now understand what you are asking, which is how would you distinguish the differences between say 1st BDE, 1st IN DIV (1-1 HBCT) versus say 1st BDE, 1st CAV (1-1 HBCT again). The LT may know, having endured months of OBC (or now BLOC 2 & 3) textbook tactics and military graphics classes.......

The lack of understanding on our behalf probably arises from some disconnect between your Kiwi accent and your toilets flushing the opposite of ours.....sorry, remembering some of our earlier arguements from years ago.

Am I speaking Russian?

Try this: What division is 1-1 BDE from?

Who the hell knows? But I know you from the old days, and I know you've a small child, and I just posted a bit about a small child on the Peng Challenge Thread, and so I thought I ought to drop in here and tug at your sleeve and distract you from all this adult ****e.

Looks pretty dim. Just not the same as when we were discussing things that had happened, historically, as opposed to things that haven't happened, wouldn't happen, and would have been pointless if they had happened.

waves small american and british flags in either hand, while grinning ferociously and trying to pull a forelock with hands already too full of flags...

I'm far beyond that.

Did my PL time in Iraq, did the XO time last year, and now a staff officer. I pin captain in another month.

Hooahh sir! Then off to Captains Career Course for more education. Do you plan on staying in the SBCT or migrating over to heavy/light side of the house? 82/101st a great enhancer for your career.

Hooahh sir! Then off to Captains Career Course for more education. Do you plan on staying in the SBCT or migrating over to heavy/light side of the house? 82/101st a great enhancer for your career.

Sorta off topic, sorry!

I saw a program on TV; I believe it was "Gangland" & it was on the Motorcycle club, “The Mongols”. Believe me, I wouldn’t go near them because I quite despise taking a severe beating but one of their members related themselves to our Special Forces, they were the best of the best. Their president would give them a speech & they answered with a reply that I can only remember they used “Hooahh!” at the end. I found that kinda strange since in my humble opinion & please, no beatings, I don’t think the whole club could not make it through one day at the 1st day of any Special Forces training. Unless they are a former member of the SF. Mean, dangerous & fearless, yes, Special forces no. I’m not knocking motorcyclists or MC clubs either, like I said, I wouldn’t confront one member of a 1%er club. Did I mention no severe beatings???????????

Back to topic. And you heard none of this from me.

JonS,

Thanks, but .... how does that marry up with the example from earlier, where there are no letters after the div number: 5-2 SBCT

5/2 SBCT is the 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team assigned to 2nd Infantry Division.

Now, to confuse things even more... two of the six (or seven, sorta) current SBCTs are "stand alone" formations which aren't assigned to any division. Here are all six (seven) as laid out by Wikipedia (it's accurate ;)):

3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division - first Stryker Brigade formed

4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division - fourth Brigade formed, reflagged from 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment.

5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division - final Stryker Brigade formed

2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, fifth Stryker Brigade;

172d Infantry Brigade; - third Stryker Brigade formed, reflagged as the current 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division.

56th Stryker Brigade of the 28th Infantry Division, Pennsylvania National Guard (the only National Guard unit to get them).

2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment was the second Stryker unit formed reflagged from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division. Although they are not officially labled as a Brigade Combat Team because of their unique Cavalry Regiment force structure they are effectively an independent unit parallel to the regular BCTs.

The wildcard here is 2nd Stryker CAV. It isn't a true SBCT, nor is it a true CAV unit. It maintains its CAV roots in terminology and tradition. For the most part they are organized identically to a regular SBCT as far as I know.

On top of all of this, you sometimes see the SBCTs referred to by their creation numbers. These are generally expressed as "SBCT 1" through "SBCT 6", which refer to the order in which they were created.

Steve

Thanks, but .... how does that marry up with the example from earlier, where there are no letters after the div number: 5-2 SBCT

Does it become 1-1ID HBCT?

It is: 1BCT 1ID, 1BCT 1AD, 1BCT 1CAV, 2BCT 3ID, 3BCT 4ID, etc..

You don't really need the "H" because it is assumed you know what type of unit it is.

You would know that the 1st Infantry, 1st Cav and 1st Armored Divisions have HBCT's, so they are simply BCT's.

You would know that the 82nd is airborne, so it is just: 1BCT 82AB

"Non-Standard" brigades like the Strykers are noted as SBCT, etc.. cause they like to be special ;)

IIRC some brigades are straight leg, like 4BCT 1ID.

If the next question is "..well, what if you don't know what type the brigade is" then I think the Army's answer would be "go find out for yourself" :)

When StrykerPSG first wrote "5-2 SBCT" I initially thought he was refering to the infantry battalions because I am used to seeing a brigade along with the division: 5 SBCT 2ID

I thought 5-2 was 5th Battalion 2nd Infantry Regiment in a SBCT.

(my knowledge is from about 4 years ago...maybe now-a-days they use HBCT more often then before the combined arms battalion era)

Steve,

2nd ACR (formally known as) is now referred to as 2nd SCR (Stryker CAV regiment). You're right in that the unit is organized as a traditional cav unit, however they have strykers. Its a weird mix.

Also,

you mentioned 3-2 SBCT...the first Stryker bde...thats right, and dont you forget. THE FIRST STRYKER BRIGADE. 3BDE 2ID. Arrowhead

2id-3bde.gif