Island of no return

Hi.

I stumbled into a trap In the Plan Z scenario when i moved my Pearl Harbor plane one island north. Here it ended with supply:0 and 0 chance of return.

I can't even disband this unit.

I do of course understand the concept of supply or supplylines, but still: i think this should be solved somehow.

First idea: a warning, that the selected tile has no supply ("do you really want to lose this unit permanently?").

Second idea: invent an option to supply a stranded unit (pay for it, send some ships, use bombers)

Third idea: alllow disbanding

Forth idea: change map, so that no unit may be placed here

noreturn1.jpg

Any ideas what i could do to get the planes back to Pearl Harbor?

:confused:

Thank you, Bill101.

Maybe bombers should get the option "supply", using one or better all of their strike points to grant one unit in range a temporary "5" supply?

If this supplied unit would move right after the supply run of the bomber it could be enabled to move again (or to do whatever a supply strength of "5" enables to).

Maybe in a patch one day in the far far future?

Yep, if any air units land on a 1 tile island surrounded by water..it's over.

I did the exact same thing as the OP, trying to scout out by air JPN fleet movements at the first turn. Is there a way that air units could exert their scouting abilities by skipping their turn (patrolling) than having to relocate to another tile?

This is a perfect opportunity to employ the engineer unit for building an airbase infrastructure, like I suggested before.

Allow the SeaBees(SC Egr unit) the same capability as the special forces amphibious feature, but with the addition that it can now build an airbase much like it does a fortification.

Of course the fortification then has an inherent 5 supply/50% efficiency rating to simulate the required base logistics foundation to support combat units.

What could be more historical?

This is a perfect opportunity to employ the engineer unit for building an airbase infrastructure, like I suggested before.

Allow the SeaBees(SC Egr unit) the same capability as the special forces amphibious feature, but with the addition that it can now build an airbase much like it does a fortification.

Of course the fortification then has an inherent 5 supply/50% efficiency rating to simulate the required base logistics foundation to support combat units.

What could be more historical?

The fact that players would build airbases all over the map is what wouldn't be historical. Now if there were an extended delay before the airbases were built AND they could be DESTOYED or put in unusable conditions I'd be for that. But, this is an operational strategic game not Civilization IV or Tropico.

Obviously KH, you are new to the SC series, that's a good thing, we always need additional perspectives.

See you can have an airbase anywhere on the map, note this problem here with the location. What you can't have is supply everywhere and obviously that drives the war train.

Fortifications do take time to build by an engineer and they are destroyed when attacked and the friendly occupying unit vacates.

My original suggestion was, because the amount of time to build a fortification is directly related to the number of sides the players wish to fortify, to allow an inherent supply efficiency also tied to the number of sides the fortification has.

Example, you build one side, you get 10% / 1 supply, two sides = 20%, etc.

You could expand on this idea by additionally allowing a complex fortification, ie. max build, to become to some degree a staging port to help with naval refueling and limited repairs.

Carrying on further by stationing an HQ in the fortification, taking into account a multi-tile island, you can bring about additional efficiency to your combat units.

All these ideas have but one goal in mind, probably very similar to yours, allowing the flexibility of committing forces to a previously desolate area as was a common practice in the Pacific and hence the problem refered to in this thread is cured.:)

After playing 2 games i think that there could be a very elegant solution:

if destroyers would recieve a "+1 supply" zone of control, than everything would be just fine. If a player gets stuck in a 0 supply tile he could start his personal Tokyo express.

Think about it.

Destroyers did play such a role in WW2, providing minimal supply to any needy friendly unit they could reach.

This enhancement could give some more history flavor to the game, solve the problem with islands without any supply and make destroyers even more useful.