Msh file converter is out

Hi,

I have just uploaded the mshconverter (MshConverter091.zip) to the www.cmmods.com site.

This tool can convert tows MSH binary format and HIM format to OBJ or 3ds graphics format. Also with this program you can convert binary MSH to text based MSH file.

Loading and converting from 3ds to MSH file is not done yet, it will take a while.

Converter can also save hook information , collision objects and LODs of the msh files.

When loading .him file make sure that all msh files are included in the same directory, which are needed for selected him file.

br.

Dr.Jones

Hi, to moment, i been under contact with dr.jones, so i have try it, under windows xp pro, program don't run, program was tested by dr.jones under windows vista.

so if peopple would send report, if this program run under xp, or if program don't run.

i have try it with directx version march 2008 and with net framerwork 2.0.

thank's for all.

Dr Jones, have any objects been sucessfully exported to ToW yet? Any chance of some screens? I've been following AAA & this is very interesting!

I guess the most needed initial objects would be buildings & fortifications, but, I would so love to see a version of Ranwers TYPHOON in the game. smile.gif

hummm!

Can't you now me done you'r computer settings?

processor?

use you AMD or intel?

and if this are twin core or 64 bit?

because i using AMD 2200+ (so is old processor generation)

but what i don't understand, is that all other program run it under my computer settings.

so old meshreader, and all other tools.

Originally posted by lele:

Hi, to moment, i been under contact with dr.jones, so i have try it, under windows xp pro, program don't run, program was tested by dr.jones under windows vista.

so if peopple would send report, if this program run under xp, or if program don't run.

i have try it with directx version march 2008 and with net framerwork 2.0.

thank's for all.

Lele,

you misunderstood me, i was telling that i havent tested the program under windows Vista. Your problem could be related with language/regional local settings.

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Gnasher:

Dr Jones, have any objects been sucessfully exported to ToW yet? Any chance of some screens? I've been following AAA & this is very interesting!

I guess the most needed initial objects would be buildings & fortifications, but, I would so love to see a version of Ranwers TYPHOON in the game. smile.gif

Not in TOW for now. But it would be possible, even with this tool you can modify msh file as you like, by first converting (saving in text msh trought MshConverter) to text version of msh file, then TOW can load those ascii/text versions as replacement of same msh file in 3dobj directory, then just modify hooks, vertices, etc. Ofcourse it would be easier to just automaticaly convert 3ds file to msh (i will work on that, but it will take time).

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Dr.Jones:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gnasher:

Not in TOW for now. But it would be possible, even with this tool you can modify msh file as you like, by first converting (saving in text msh trought MshConverter) to text version of msh file, then TOW can load those ascii/text versions as replacement of same msh file in 3dobj directory, then just modify hooks, vertices, etc. Ofcourse it would be easier to just automaticaly convert 3ds file to msh (i will work on that, but it will take time).

br.

Dr.Jones </font>

Hi,

just uploaded the update version 0.9.2 to www.cmmmods.com.

Updated:

- export of him file into hierarchihal structure of 3ds format identical to him structure.

- loading of text msh file format.

- global filter (main mesh, collision,hooks,lods).

- loading of 3ds (beta stage, not all models get loaded, todo!) and converting to msh file.

br.

Dr.Jones

Dr. Jones

This is definitely exciting news. You've come a long way since we started looking at the .msh files. SlapHappy, the mods I worked on like the Firefly had modified .msh files, but I didn't change the shape of the 3d objects just swapped one gun barrel for another. But in order to do that I had to modify the .msh. What is exciting is the thought that you could make a whole new 3d turret for the Firefly and import it.

Thanks for all of the work you've done for the modding of the game Dr. Jones. Hopefully my workload will ease up so I can get back to the game.

Oudy

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just uploaded totaly new version of the MshConverter - Viewer on www.cmmods.com, in this version you can fully convert msh and him files to OBJ,3ds or md5mesh files and also see the 3d view of the meshes . Also you can convert OBJ/3ds to msh or him file. In menu you also have file association command, when you click that command all files with extension .msh and .him files will be automaticaly redirected to MshConverter location, in short you can then just double click on the files.

br.

Dr.Jones

Ummmm...If you modellers haven't checked out this latest version you really need to.....completely incredible! I've just been loading up some meshes and looking around.

First of all, if you want to make something simple in 3ds format and import it like small arms, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Use one of the existing models as a guideline and try to constrain you're model details to match as closely as possible. Like a Garand rifle. One of the simplest things perhaps to try would be something like a satchel charge. Very simplistic model and something that could be really useful in the game. Then you could link with the existing data code from something like a grenade and just tweak the variables like blast damage, throwing range, etc.

Beyond that, I've been looking at the "fortification" model to see how they did it. Basically it works like a vehicle which is non-mobile. It has a collision box for the shooter and two loaders. Plus you need hooks for the model just like in say, a halftrack or other vehicle. This model might be the paradigm for designing additional fortress types as well as buildings which can be "crewed". It might even be possible to re-work some of the existing buildings to accept infantry entry. One thing that might be problematic is to find a way to simulate LOS out of buildings and the ability for soldiers to fire their personal weapons out of those windows, doors, voids, what have you. Some of the buildings already have hooks for infantry, which is curious. I'm not sure where they intended to go with this. In the fortification model, they have their own collision points. In these buildings, there is one big box, but seems to be multiple collisions, but you can't clearly separate them out in the 3D view.

SlapHappy

you can seperate the collision from the 3d view, just go to tree view in the left side of the application, expand the first node traverse nodes and look for Collisions node, click on and off to see or not to see the object, if you want to see just collisions disable/click on the toolbar (Meshes,Lods,Shadows,etc) and those object will be seen or hidden (all of the same type). Then go to tree and disable/enable seperate collision objects. Also this enabling and disabling in the tree view is used also to tell exporter which objects to export.

br.

Dr.Jones

Thanks Dr. Jones.. I was able to see that with some of the models, but in these particular building models, it wasn't possible to see the collisions even when using selector tools.

Try loading one of the more complex buildings and you will see a msh called "center". There are multiple collision items associated with it, but no matter how you select the individual collision items, all you can see is just one big 3d "block". My feeling is this was some kind of feature which was apparently dropped to expedite a release date in the shorter term. There are actually hooks supplied for infantry, but they are apparently un-utilized in the game as it was released.

• 1 month later...