Error open .tga file!

Fana

Same problem here, openeing disguised DDS (TGA) files with Photoshop V7 (NVidia DDS plugin installed) and another DDS Viewer application. Tells me the "files can not be parsed from file format module".

Tried loading file: forestside.tga from /maps/_TEX/forest/summer

Archive maps.sfs, extracted with executable from SFSEXTRACTOR0.3.ZIP, downloaded from cmmods.

I tried openen ing TGA or TGA as DDS. Some smaller files work, some don´t. Also read info from "TOW modding FAQ Vers 1.02", particularly this section:

"Each of TOW’s graphic skins are .tga files, but in reality they are .dds files. You can view and change these files in Photoshop with a plug-in that allows you to read .dds files. Nvidia has such a plug-in at: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html Download and install the file as directed.

Rename the .tga file to .dds and open it in Photoshop. Open it without loading mip maps checked. You can modify it as you like. I saved it using the following options. Feel free to let me know if there are better ones, but I used these options and it worked within the game. Save format: [DXT3 ARGB 8 bpp | explicit alpha]. Save as a 2d Skin. Click Generate mip maps. Before you can use it in the game you have to change the extension back to .tga."

Any ideas? :confused:

[ February 15, 2008, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: RockinHarry ]

Originally posted by RockinHarry:

Same problem here, openeing disguised DDS (TGA) files with Photoshop V7 (NVidia DDS plugin installed) and another DDS Viewer application. Tells me the "files can not be parsed from file format module".

Tried loading file: forestside.tga from /maps/_TEX/forest/summer

Archive maps.sfs, extracted with executable from SFSEXTRACTOR0.3.ZIP, downloaded from cmmods.

I tried openen ing TGA or TGA as DDS. Some smaller files work, some don´t. Also read info from "TOW modding FAQ Vers 1.02", particularly this section:

"Each of TOW’s graphic skins are .tga files, but in reality they are .dds files. You can view and change these files in Photoshop with a plug-in that allows you to read .dds files. Nvidia has such a plug-in at: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html Download and install the file as directed.

Rename the .tga file to .dds and open it in Photoshop. Open it without loading mip maps checked. You can modify it as you like. I saved it using the following options. Feel free to let me know if there are better ones, but I used these options and it worked within the game. Save format: [DXT3 ARGB 8 bpp | explicit alpha]. Save as a 2d Skin. Click Generate mip maps. Before you can use it in the game you have to change the extension back to .tga."

Any ideas? :confused:

Hi,

the file could be IMF format, open with notepad and if the first word is IMF then this is the format. Open with IMF viewer then and save as dds or tga.

br.

Dr.Jones

Dr. Jones, thanks for the hints! Some of the files indeed have that IMF in their header, but those that don´t still can´t be openend.

Maybe another hint; when I first started the Extractor from MissionEditor folder I got an error message concerning Net framework 2.0

I hit igore button and then the application worked normally (I guess)

I have that Net framework 2.0 installed btw.

I´m using last version ToW install (since the Kalypso version uber patch isn´t available yet), PS 7, the plugins from the NVidia web page and Extractor 0.3 from Cmmods. The TGA/DDS fils also don´t open in the some Windows DDS viewer (WTV = Woodies texture viewer) yet need to try the one from the Nvidia page. Odd. :(

Edit: The WTV is the one from NVidia already.

Ok, maybe asking this way: How do I open all files in the /maps/_TEX/forest/summer folder, which are:

ForestSide1.tga DOES NOT OPEN

ForestSide2.tga DOES NOT OPEN

ForestSide3.tga Opens as TGA normally

ForestSide4.tga Opens as TGA normally

ForestSide5.tga Opens as TGA normally

ForestSide.tga DOES NOT OPEN

Grass2H_new.tga DOES NOT OPEN

ListForestNoise.tga Opens as TGA normally

hi, i don't be sure, that you understand all here.

because imf viewer, permit to save file to jpg format, or dds format and to other "i don't be sure", but nothing gif format.

picture on left side = converted picture under photoshop

picture on rigt side = Imf utility software

k56vsans_titre-3_copie.jpg

now use in first time imf viewer to open you'r file and save it in another format, if you like jpg, use than jpg, but jpg lost quality from picture.

You think so? Why is that? I like what they did already - the new Patch helps a lot! And we could need some nice mods, especially vehicle skins... I'm still busy modding CM, so it will be a while yet before I try it in earnest. But don't give up on this game !

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

You think so? Why is that? I like what they did already - the new Patch helps a lot! And we could need some nice mods, especially vehicle skins... I'm still busy modding CM, so it will be a while yet before I try it in earnest. But don't give up on this game !

Well if you compare to a really well made combined arms game like Combat Mission, then there´s no reason to stick or waste time on TOW until it reaches equal heights. I like modding very much, but usually I only do modding games that I also play! I´ve found nothing that keeps me playing or trying TOW. I´ve already removed the thing from my hard drive. :rolleyes: Might be if a working Kalypso patch is released anytime in the future, I might try some landscape modding, but it´s unlikely. Now back to Combat Mission scenario making. smile.gif

• 2 years later...

it is possible to open all tga files in the game with either the NVidia DDS plug-in or IMF viewer. For the TGA that are in fact *.dds files with a *.tga extension, simply renaming the file and changing the extension is enough. For the files with IMF in the header, you've to use IMFviewer to open them and save them in TGA format, in order to be able to open them in photoshop.