Diagonal Movement

Ardem

I am curious I am making a map but the movement is more diagonal based then vertical, horizontal.

The question is say you have you have an enemy on your flanks and you want to head diagonal would this be possible

Imagine below you are starting in the C Quadrant and wanting to head to the B Quadrant, The enemy holds A and D quadrants, first up is this possible.

A1 A2 B1 B2

A3 A4 B3 B4

C1 C2 D1 D2

C3 C4 D3 D4

Next point would be, if not possible if I was to take D1 and A4, would it be then possible to go to B Quadrant.

Or would I have to take Both A and D quarants to go to B?

My hope is to go to B Quadrant you must take A4 and D1

Movement is not diagonal, you can only move across the edges of a quadrant. From C2 (which I assume is a quadrant of a tile, C), you would need to mvoe through D1 to B3. If the enemy held any of the D tile, you would trigger a battle, and would need to take all of D1-D4 before moving on.

I'm sure this has been commented on before, but I'm curious about how much force is needed in a larger four square section to prevent unopposed movement.

Suppose I have a battalion trying to move from west to east, and it is concentrated in the southeast section of a four section square. If the only force in the four section square immediately to the east is a reinforced platoon in the sector's northeast square, would that be enough to prevent the battalion from passing through the empty southwest and southeast sections of the lightly defended square, and into the southwest section of the next sector beyond it?

In other words, can you bypass light pockets of enemy resistance that aren't in your immediate path, or do you have to stop, find them, and wipe them out?

I realize that you wouldn't be able to send any supply trucks through a sector that you by-passed, but doesn't this cut to the heart of sending your armored spear-heads forward and leaving minor pockets of resistance to be cleaned up by secondary follow-up forces?

And if there's a thread about this elsewhere in here I'll just go back to modding...

Originally posted by Hunter:

Movement is not diagonal, you can only move across the edges of a quadrant. From C2 (which I assume is a quadrant of a tile, C), you would need to mvoe through D1 to B3. If the enemy held any of the D tile, you would trigger a battle, and would need to take all of D1-D4 before moving on.

Can you move units C3 to C2?

It is a pity you can't move from D1 to B3 without taking out all of D quadarant, say you have the battle and still you both control quadrants left over, But I want a break through force to move into C quadrant and then flank B4 quadrant currently you saying this is not possible,

Which is a bit of a pain cause we always going to have a continuous front battles with no chance to use exploiting forces to flank the opposition if you choose.

30 turns with not be enough do take 4 quadrants on a 2km map, So each map will be a series of to fights per quadrant.

I would of though if you held A4 and D1 you could of entered B from C, it would of created some great attacking manuveurs oh well.

So the best form of defence is lots of small pockets of troops hidden in each sector, along a continous front, this would stop any good advancement.

On another thought take this example

You attack at the end of the battle you control J1, J3, J4 and the enemy hold J2, you could not advance into H3 at all, until another battle to eliminate J2 completely

H1 H2

H3 H4

J1 J2

J3 J4

I believe this could be exploited so small forces stop big units from quickly patching a hole or exploiting a sector which in real life would be possible.

guys, i'm pretty sure your attacking force can 'overrun' the enemy by exiting off the far (or side) map edge. If all your forces exit past the enemy, then you pop out behind him on the CMC map. Voila, your armored spearhead has bypassed the enemy. But you had to fight a CM battle to do it so it slowed you down on the CMC map.

I'm pretty sure this is what hunter said on some question like this a while back.

Oh yea and as far as above issue of many tiny ME's slowing advance to a crawl, the ME size is determined by the campaign designer and should be reasonable, not a bunch of tiny units unless it's a tiny Op. The player can't split his ME's, for this and other reasons I imagine.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hunter:

Can you move units C3 to C2? </font>

Originally posted by Hunter:

OK, I should have thought more about this (I was slightly wrong). If you take say D1 in a battle. You could then move North to B3 without taking the rest of D1-D4. Your movement would be interrupted however if any enemy on D2, D3 or D4 attacks you in the interim.

Hunter

I would expect supply degradation that is realistic, sometimes it would be advisable to do a breakthrough to totally cut off the enemy supplies.

Imagine if the enemy units in D Quadrant is sitting next to a lake/sea on the other side and if you moved into B, you could encircle them and totally cut off their supplies.

KellyHeroes: As long as the game *tries* to mimic as close to real life operations then I always be happy and I would only want it to play that way. ;)

ahhaha well when I walk trust me I don't walk exactly north-south then south-west to get to my destination, if you do that then I am sure you get some wierd stares LOL.

I can see it now ---

Kellyheroes has to move 120 degrees SE to get to the train station, he can't he is only allowed to follow the direction on the sun and magnetic north-south. Poor Kellyheroes he missed his train again Damn! if only he had the super powers of everyone else to 'walk diagonally'

;)

Either way it is ok that you can still move forward without having to take the whole square which is the most important thing to me.

[ December 10, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Ardem ]

One quick note to add. If I understand correctly a battle does not need to be fought using CMBB and can automatically resolved. So if a battalion goes through an quadrant with a platoon that battle can be fought in whatever time it takes for a computer esolution to take place instead of a fulll blown CMBB battle. Of course when a battle is initiated you have no idea if your battalion is facing a platoon or 2 battalions. Perhaps there will be/can be some sort of auto auto battle where you don't even get the choice to fight or not the computer determines it isn't worth playing out. And maybe the platoon can have the option of hiding to avoid detection all together......oh my...I've gone off on a tangent didn't I?